Post workout nutrition

robefc

Hi everyone,

A thought just occurred to me today as I was making up my post workout shake and looking for a banana to eat with it...I'd ran out of bananas but a box of apple pies caught my eye...full of simple sugars..why not I thought?! Best post workout snack I've ever had!

So is post workout really the best time to get rid of your craving for sweet things?! Ok apple pie has a litte bit of fat in it but probably the best time to eat fat too, calories will be used up better post workout...plus desserts always taste better when you're really hungry as opposed to after a meal when you usually have it...

a brilliant way to get something sweet into your diet and have it actually be beneficial rather than harmful? or just wishful thinking?!

Cheers

Rob

good question...

i know there are different kinds of sugars

ie dextrose from corn = good
high fructose corn syrup in soda = bad

i believe the syrup can put on fat either,but im not sure why since they both essentially will do the same thing.

Fat is not good post-workout, it will slow down the absorption of high GI carbs and protein. Pie crust is pretty fatty.

Also, I think it would be wise to stick to a better source of carbs. Seriously, I doubt that eating apple pie post-workout is anywhere near ideal. This is the time when your muscles want protein and glucose fast, not apple pie.

who cares?

as long as you get some protein and carbs in the post workout period, it wont make a difference whether there is fat there or not.

Apple pie is probably loaded with glucose anyways, right? At least it has a lot of sucrose which would probably get hydrolyzed in your stomach to glucose and fructose.

Back