Power Hooks

I

imported_flow

I plan to buy a pair of power hooks for my home gym. They are two hooks which you fasten to dumbbell handles, allowing you to hang the DBs from a BB rod. So, if you have a power rack, you can perform DB bench & military press from the top position, eliminating the need for helpers to get heavy DBs into position.

I have neglected DB presses for some time, because I feel I lose too much strength getting them into position myself. Besides this drawback, I like DB pressing a lot, especially because it's easier on my shoulders.

I know this product only from online reviews and would like opinions from people who have actually used them. Anybody with first-hand experience on this forum?

They can be found at Country Power Inc.

$46 (~£23) For 2 bits o' bent bar - that would take all of half an hour to make/form...

Don't like the look of these for 3 reasons:
In the pics showing a spotter - if the lifter suddenly fails; at best the spotter will lose a few finger nails, but using his elbows as a fulcrum over the oly-bar.

If the lifter pre-stretches just a little too far how (without a spotter) will he lift the bells high enough to hook them back onto the bar? - if he can't; then how does he drop them safely

A better, if more Heath-Robinson solution, would be to support the 'bells with rope/wire hoops (first determine the level they need to be for a *safe* stretch) in the "bottom" position.

Cheaper, a bit safer and *escapeable*

TDM

Thanks for your replies!

I mostly stay 1 or 2 reps away from failure, and so I should be able to manage without a spotter.

Still, Dark Master, your idea of hanging the dbells with rope/chain from the ceiling does sound interesting. A long time ago, I have seen a review somewhere (maybe the cyberpump site when it was still free?) about a product of just this kind, but I can't remember its name.

Anybody heard of it?

Bump this post...My 'power-hooks' just arrived...awesome.  I was having trouble overhead pressing any more than 60 lb. dumbells(I work out alone).  One day my buddy came over and helped me clean the 70s, I was able to press them no problem, that convinced me to buy these.

edit-First-time experience with power-hooks was awkward...it was difficult to set-up where exactly to place the bench and how high to set the power-hooks. My power-rack does not have holes high enough to hang the hooks properly for overhead presses. The dumbells hang about 8" lower than the barbell, and so it would be ideal to place the barbell 8" higher than you normally would for military barbell presses. I hung them as high as I could and finally got the bench right, etc. Also you kind of have to 'unrack' the hooks when you first press them.
I think once I figure out the best set-up, and get used to the technique of 'un-racking' the hooks, they will be useful. Honestly though, unless you really love the range of motion and the stabilizer strengthening of dumbells like I do, then just stick with a barbell!!! These are not quite as easy to use as I thought they'd be.

<div>
(flow @ Feb. 18 2004,10:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I plan to buy a pair of power hooks for my home gym. They are two hooks which you fasten to dumbbell handles, allowing you to hang the DBs from a BB rod. So, if you have a power rack, you can perform DB bench &amp; military press from the top position, eliminating the need for helpers to get heavy DBs into position.

I have neglected DB presses for some time, because I feel I lose too much strength getting them into position myself. Besides this drawback, I like DB pressing a lot, especially because it's easier on my shoulders.

I know this product only from online reviews and would like opinions from people who have actually used them. Anybody with first-hand experience on this forum?

They can be found at Country Power Inc.</div>
Power Hooks are great, BUT....the downside is that if you drop the dumbbells to the floor with the powerhooks on them you risk ruining your hooks. That's what happened to me. Whenever you work with dumbbells, it helps to place them upright on your knees, and then kick your legs up and pull simultaneously so you can get the dumbbells up to your shoulders, then lean back on the bench. It's not a difficult technique to master, and I'm amazed I was stupid enough to not ever think of it until I saw someone in a video do it that way. Would have never bought the hooks if I had thought of it.

That's what I've always done Steve. And contrary to the ad, I can 'kick' up more weight than I can lift, since I'm hammer curling and using the legs too. Another trick is to put a flat bench in front of you and set the d/b's on it, so you don't have to waste energy picking them up. Just pull and rock back while lifting the knees.

Sounds like Guido and Luigi advice, but it works!

I am an exception to you guys then. I can only kick-up the 60s, anything more and I tend to get stuck at the bottom of the press. If I have a spotter or use the hooks, I can press the 70s!
rock.gif

Back