Power Rack on plush carpet?

Dont_quit

I can put flooring (foam, plastic, plywood, extra carpet sheets) between my power rack and the plush carpet I have below it, but do you guys think my 400lb powertec power rack will cause permanent damage to the carpet (as in being squashed so much it'll never come back up)? I just put the carpet in and didn't know I was going to put something like this on it, and I may change the arrangements of the power rack in a few years, so I'd like to leave the carpet intact. Do you all have any experience with heavy objects on plush carpet floors? or suggestions? Thanks!

Yeah, I'm afraid you're going to get (probably) permanent indents in the carpet. Two things you might try: 1. Get a large square of 5/4" plywood and put the rack on that- this will distribute the weight better- you'll still have some squashing, but it's less likely to be permanent. 2, If you're game, I'd recommend using a razor to open up the carpet along the floor supports (stanchions) where they contact the carpet. Don't cut the carpet out- just make slits long enought for the supports to go through and contact the floor below. If you want/need to move the rack later, you can make an invisible repair using double-sided carpet tape- no one will ever know...
Jake

Back