Pre and Post workout protein shakes..

Ealry Riser

List,
Hi - I've heard that I should be incorporating dextose into my pre-workout protein shake. Do you guys agree with this , and if so, should I also be incorporating it into my postworkout shake. Whey protein from GNC - 3 scoops per shake = 40g protein, 4 g carb, 4 g fat.
thanks...
ER

Ingest carbs (high GI carb like dextrose is good) after post-WO workout. That advice hasn't changed.

The idea with adding sugar in pre-WO is to A) upping blood glucose levels (which helps reduce cortisol secretion) and B) elevate insulin levels a little, thus enabling the body to go into post-WO protein synthesis earlier.

You wouldn't ingest that much carbs pre-workout, maybe no more than 20-30g. Personally, I don't like including carbs in my pre-WO meal (nausea, lack of concentration, energy) but many swear by it.

cheers,
Jules

Vicious,
Thanks. Now i assume that whey protein, 40 g protein both before and after is fine ? Also, protein requirement shouldn't change whether or not it's a training or not, right ?

Ealry Riser,
I would say that 40g both before AND after is more than necessary. Cut that in half and you have the adequate protein dose.

Whey is great pre-workout because it absorbs within 30 minutes and gives the bloodstream a huge amino acid spike. However, that spike diminishes quickly. Thus, whey is a poor protein source for post-workout sustained growth. Instead go for some casein-based protein, such as milk or egg protein. Or, even better yet, just have a huge meal post-workout with a lot of meats and forgo supplementation entirely.

Happy growth!
-Calkid

Calkid,
Thanks. What do you guys think of the Met-rx RTD ? I'm picking it up pretty cheap at my local GNC - I just saw a posting on another website that says that during the processing period, hot water may be destroying the protein. Any comments ??
crazy.gif

Back