Pre-workout meal

I

imported_daveguy

Am I imagining things, or is it a little tough to digest a protein shake before your workout?

I take a scoop of Optimum whey mixed in water an hour before I lift, but when I start lifting, I can still feel it sitting in my stomach. Is it ok to take the protein closer to two hours beforehand?

Oh, and by the way, I also have apple juice or orange juice with the protein. Is there any problem with fruit juice for your preworkout carbs?

Thanks!
Dave Guy

Daveguy, you are correct use simple carbs right before your workout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Consuming simple sugars right before training can reduce the amount of glycogen used during exercise. This can prolong performance. More importantly, higher blood sugar and insulin levels appear to create a hormonal milieu favorable to anabolism (growth).

Pre Work out protein

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Delivery of amino acids has been shown to be significantly greater during the exercise bout when consumed pre-workout than after exercise (Tipton, 2001). There is also a significant difference in amino acid delivery in the 1st hour after exercise, with the pre-exercise protein drink providing a significant advantage. Net amino acid uptake across the muscle is twice as high with a pre-workout protein drink as compared to consuming it after. ...........These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of a protein solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

Post Workout

Carbs
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997). Even when the post exercise meal contains other macronutrients such as proteins and fats, the rate of glycogen replenishment is not hindered, given there is sufficient carbohydrate in the meal as well. These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24-hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important.

Protein
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The timing of protein intake is important. If the anabolic stimulus from exercise is to be maximized, a steady flow of amino acids must bathe the muscle while mRNA content is high. It should be no surprise that the optimum time for protein intake after your workout is relatively brief compared to frequency of training a particular muscle. Muscle protein synthetic rate (MPS) is elevated in humans by up to 50% at about 4 hours following a bout of heavy resistance training, and by 109% at 24 hours following training. A study done by Macdougall (MacDougall et al 1995) further examined the time course for elevated muscle protein synthesis by examining its rate at 36 hrs following a bout of heavy resistance training. Six healthy young men performed 12 sets of 6- to 12-RM elbow flexion exercises with one arm while the opposite arm served as a control. MPS was calculated from the in vivo rate of incorporation of L-[1,2-13C2] leucine into biceps brachii of both arms over 11 hours. At an average time of 36 hours post-exercise, MPS in the exercised arm had returned to within 14% of the control arm value, the difference being nonsignificant. The following conclusions can be drawn from this study, following a bout of heavy resistance training, muscle protein synthetic rate increases rapidly, is more than double at 24 hours, and then declines rapidly so that at 36 hours it has almost returned to baseline.

Also

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pre- and post-exercise nutrition is critical if one wants to maximize the anabolic effects of exercise. The pre-exercise meal should be high in a quickly digestible protein. This will ensure high delivery of amino acids to the muscle tissue. Carbohydrates can also be taken in to minimize glycogen loss and suppress catabolic hormones. Fat should be avoided pre-exercise unless the exercise is for endurance.

The post exercise meal should consist of carbohydrate, protein and perhaps a small amount of essential fats, in a form that is easily and quickly digestible. There are many meal replacement products that fit the bill. Just pick the one you like the most. Don't worry about sugar content because right after a workout, fat storage is not a big issue. A liquid meal is the most practical method of post-exercise feeding although it is probably not essential. The ratio of macronutrients depends somewhat on the nature of the training session. An emphasis on high glycemic carbs, complete readily digestible proteins such as whey, egg, or high quality casein, and essential fats such as fish or flax oil will meet the criteria for an effective post exercise meal.

And From the FAQ

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is some interesting research on protein coming out that indicates that when you add carbs to your protein, more of it gets "trapped" (incorporated into gut proteins and/or oxidized in the gut and liver) in the gut. This is because of the anabolic effect of insulin on enterocytes. Insulin isn't really anabolic in skeletal muscle but it helps nonetheless.

Anyway, my point is this, Take your protein without (or with less) carbs immediately after you workout. This will allow more amino acids to skirt past your enterocytes and liver and make it into the blood stream where they are taken up by skeletal muscle. Then take your carbs one hour later, which still allows you to take advantage of the metabolic "window" post workout.

As far as the timing question
Lastly, look at this graph, even though it is for HSN protein the model is the same.

So is timing that critical? You tell me.
worship.gif

I always begin to feel tired during training, when having a preworkout shake with simple carbs.

Eat a good meal with lots of slowly/avarage digesting carbs and lots of protein 1,5-2 hours before training and you don't need any Preworkout shake, because there are enough carbs and protein available during training.
This meal would be more healthy and contain a lot more vitamins and minerals than simple carbs and protein powder.

By the way fructose will be stored in the liver without using insulin. Not in the muscles. So fructose are not the best carbs pre- and post training.

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show with the graph. I'm not even sure what Primer and Driver are supposed to be used for. Are the pre-workout, post-, or what?

I guess I was just wondering how long you guys let protein powder sit in your stomach before lifting.

I didn't think that the carbs in fruit juice were all fructose. I am aware of the problems with fructose, but I thought it didn't really become an issue until you had a lot of high-fructose corn syrup (or something like 10 pieces of fruit).

But I could be wrong.

David

Primer is Pre

Driver is Post

I personally do not have a problem with protein right before a workout, I usually take my Pre SHake 10 to 15 mins before.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I didn't think that the carbs in fruit juice were all fructose. I am aware of the problems with fructose, but I thought it didn't really become an issue until you had a lot of high-fructose corn syrup (or something like 10 pieces of fruit).

It depends on the fruit. Some have >90% fructose.

But nevermind, it aint that important.

Back