Programming a Strength Cycle

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by XFatMan, Mar 14, 2008.

1. XFatMan

XFatMan New Member

Next week will be the last one of my current strength training cycle, and then I’ll take a week off. After that, I’d like to begin a cycle with the lifts below and work out three times a week:

Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
    Barbell Deadlift
    Power Clean

Workout B

Barbell Squat
    Barbell Overhead Press
    Bent-Over Barbell Row

The program should add 5% to the current 1RM of all lifts. It should add another 2 Kg / 4 lbs. to the Flat Bench Barbell Press, Power Clean, Barbell Overhead Press, and Bent-Over Barbell Row, 6 Kg / 12 lbs to the Barbell Deadlift, and 4 Kg / 8 lbs to the Barbell Squat.

There will always be 2 working sets except for the last week where I want to max out.

Week / reps / % of new RM
    1 / 8 / 60
    2 / 8 / 65
    3 / 8 / 70
    4 / 8 / 75
    5 / 6 / 80
    6 / 4 / 85
    7 / 2 / 90
    8 / 2 / 95
    9 / 1 / 100

I don’t know anything about programming strength cycles, so any comments on this very first attempt would be great.

2. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

I stand by my original comments, that as you are cutting, a hybrid HST/10x3 would work out well for you.

You could do 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 5's, followed by 3 weeks of 3's (10 sets), 1 week at 2RM, and 1 week at 1RM.

3. XFatMan

XFatMan New Member

<div>
    (colby2152 @ Mar. 14 2008,14:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I stand by my original comments, that as you are cutting, a hybrid HST/10x3 would work out well for you.

You could do 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 5's, followed by 3 weeks of 3's (10 sets), 1 week at 2RM, and 1 week at 1RM.</div>
    It does sound good. Could you suggest loads (% of 1RM) for this program? It does look better than my concoction, I just don't know how to deal with the loads. As I said, that was my very first attempt ...

4. TunnelRat

TunnelRat Active Member

<div>
    (XFatMan @ Mar. 14 2008,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
    Barbell Deadlift
    Power Clean

Workout B

Barbell Squat
    Barbell Overhead Press
    Bent-Over Barbell Row

I don’t know anything about programming strength cycles, so any comments on this very first attempt would be great.</div>
    Nice. Very simple.

Even so, some chins and dips might be a help.

Once you get up past twice your bodyweight on deadlifts, you're gonna want to rearrange your w/os such that you only do deads once a week.

You may find it helpful, in terms of optimal strength increases, to dial your intensity level back by 5 or 10 percent every fourth week or so. That may let you recuperate a little bit even in the middle of your program. You'll be less likely to overtrain, and you'll find the respite will be refreshing and may grant you a noticeable increase in strength.

5. XFatMan

XFatMan New Member

I thought about chin ups and dips as well. So it could look like:

Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
    Barbell Deadlift
    Chin Ups
    Power Clean

Workout B

Chest Dips
    Barbell Squat
    Barbell Overhead Press
    Bent-Over Barbell Row

But first I'll look into setting it all up. I can add exercises any time later on. Thanks for the hint.