Programming a Strength Cycle

XFatMan

Next week will be the last one of my current strength training cycle, and then I’ll take a week off. After that, I’d like to begin a cycle with the lifts below and work out three times a week:

Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
Barbell Deadlift
Power Clean

Workout B

Barbell Squat
Barbell Overhead Press
Bent-Over Barbell Row

The program should add 5% to the current 1RM of all lifts. It should add another 2 Kg / 4 lbs. to the Flat Bench Barbell Press, Power Clean, Barbell Overhead Press, and Bent-Over Barbell Row, 6 Kg / 12 lbs to the Barbell Deadlift, and 4 Kg / 8 lbs to the Barbell Squat.

There will always be 2 working sets except for the last week where I want to max out.

Week / reps / % of new RM
1 / 8 / 60
2 / 8 / 65
3 / 8 / 70
4 / 8 / 75
5 / 6 / 80
6 / 4 / 85
7 / 2 / 90
8 / 2 / 95
9 / 1 / 100

I don’t know anything about programming strength cycles, so any comments on this very first attempt would be great.

I stand by my original comments, that as you are cutting, a hybrid HST/10x3 would work out well for you.

You could do 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 5's, followed by 3 weeks of 3's (10 sets), 1 week at 2RM, and 1 week at 1RM.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 14 2008,14:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I stand by my original comments, that as you are cutting, a hybrid HST/10x3 would work out well for you.

You could do 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 5's, followed by 3 weeks of 3's (10 sets), 1 week at 2RM, and 1 week at 1RM.</div>
It does sound good. Could you suggest loads (% of 1RM) for this program? It does look better than my concoction, I just don't know how to deal with the loads. As I said, that was my very first attempt ...

<div>
(XFatMan @ Mar. 14 2008,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
Barbell Deadlift
Power Clean

Workout B

Barbell Squat
Barbell Overhead Press
Bent-Over Barbell Row

I don’t know anything about programming strength cycles, so any comments on this very first attempt would be great.</div>
Nice. Very simple.

Even so, some chins and dips might be a help.

Once you get up past twice your bodyweight on deadlifts, you're gonna want to rearrange your w/os such that you only do deads once a week.

You may find it helpful, in terms of optimal strength increases, to dial your intensity level back by 5 or 10 percent every fourth week or so. That may let you recuperate a little bit even in the middle of your program. You'll be less likely to overtrain, and you'll find the respite will be refreshing and may grant you a noticeable increase in strength.

I thought about chin ups and dips as well. So it could look like:

Workout A

Flat Bench Barbell Press
Barbell Deadlift
Chin Ups
Power Clean

Workout B

Chest Dips
Barbell Squat
Barbell Overhead Press
Bent-Over Barbell Row

But first I'll look into setting it all up. I can add exercises any time later on. Thanks for the hint.

Back