Progression with HIIT Cardio

stu1508

Hi All

I have devised a hiit programme for myself and I wanted thoughts and advice.  It is a programme that runs for 8 weeks.  It will be made up of 30 second sprints and 30 second active rests periods.  I will use the cross trainer to show the programme.

The active rests will be on level 7 and the sprints I will go to level 11.  The first session will only be four minutes long but will eventualy do 15 minutes. I will do three sessions a week.  Due to tendon issues in my ankle I was planning on alternating between the cross trainer and the bike for each workout

minutes

4 4 5
5 5 6
7 7 8
8 9 9
10 10 11
11 12 12
13 13 14
14 15 15

The thing I am not sure about is when I finish the 8 weeks.  I was thinking about going back down to 4 minutes but then increasing the levels to 8 and 12.  Then repeat the process.  What are people's thoughts on this?

Stu - once you're done with the 8 weeks, you may want to consider Tabata-style HIIT, with the same type of progression. From there, you could increment your progression very slightly each 8 weeks. I doubt you'd ever seriously need to deviate from that model.

Back