PROTEIN CONSPIRACY

Its always good to make claims about your opposition with just Mr "Protein Insider"

their products are bad, ours are perfect, std operations for (most) supplement companies)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (anoopbal @ Oct. 01 2003,8:55)]The other day I came across this article in T-mag.com. After reading this article I am shocked to say the least.I am thinking of stopping taking protein powders altogether.
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/207prot.html
I would like to know how Bryan reacts to all this
:) Anoop
All of the information in the article is nothing new, or even recent. It has been going on for years. And not just with protein, with all supplements of every type.

I agree about 90% with what the "insider" said. Especially about hydrolysates being exaggerated on the labels. Even isolates are exaggerated most of the time. Why? Because they think it will make you buy it over someone else’s product. Whatever they think you want, they will "claim" on the label. But then they also have to be cost competitive so they have to make a choice. Lie about it, or forgo profits…

The only thing I may disagree with is that old Met-Rx was any better than the high quality proteins today. I too have friends you could consider "insiders" who were there when Met-Rx was being introduced etc. I know all about the "extra" ingredient that was added to give Met-Rx a bigger impact on body comp. To make a long story short Met-Rx was a high quality protein when it came out, and it "probably" still is.

I do know for a fact that my protein products incorporate the highest quality proteins I could find. I opted not to use those whey proteins with additional immunoglobulins due to their cost. I don't feel that the benefits of a few fragile proteins outweighed my ability to provide it to you guys for a reasonable price.

My products also meet label claims. If it says it’s in there on the label, IT'S IN THERE! I use high quality micellar protein mixed with casein and egg for the Driver and a high quality Whey for the Primer. You will also notice that neither Primer nor Driver cause gastric upset.

Anyway, I don't ever want to criticize other companies in order to try to make HSN look better. If HSN products are what I claim them to be (i.e. High quality with proven effectiveness), I shouldn't have to resort to slander in order to promote them. HSN products must be able to stand on their own merits, or they are not worth me associating my name with them.

Thanks , Bryan for going through the article and replying.I am using a pretty cheap protein powder.It only cost me like 28 dollars for 5 lb.I guess it is really low quality protein.I am going to use HSN nowonwards.

A fella named Dr. Serrano in a T-Mag interview stated that whey concentrate is better than isolate cause there are fewer allergens in the concentrated form. True or not, I am not sure, but whey concentarte is much cheaper to buy, so maybe it is worth studying about a little more?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Oct. 03 2003,12:20)]A fella named Dr. Serrano in a T-Mag interview stated that whey concentrate is better than isolate cause there are fewer allergens in the concentrated form. True or not, I am not sure, but whey concentarte is much cheaper to buy, so maybe it is worth studying about a little more?
Personally, I prefer the concentrate for the extra minerals and other minor nutrients it contains.

In the article above, they talk about how impossible it is to make low carb bars.He says if you can chew, it should be atleast 30 to 40% carbs in it. Pretty much all the bars in the market claim to have carbs less than 10 or 15%.So are they lying flat out or is there any new technology that makes it posible?Hopefully, Bryan will have an answer for this

Dear anoopbal,

Many of these low-carb bars work on a system of net carbs (carbs minus fibre = net carbs). How true this is I do not know. Accordingly, if I added psyllium husk to my starchy meals, I could bring the carb content to zero. If my fibre exceeded my carbs would I be in negative carbs then? Somehow, the idea of net carbs just doesn't make sense...

On the other hand, just because you can chew on it doesn't mean it's 30-40% carbs. I can chew on steaks and chicken - they are 0% carbs. Even these bars - many are made from nut and soy proteins that have been decarbed and defatted, thus giving a "flour" that is carb-free or low-carbs.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Oct. 09 2003,1:50)]Accordingly, if I added psyllium husk to my starchy meals, I could bring the carb content to zero. If my fibre exceeded my carbs would I be in negative carbs then?
Well, no. Say you had a meal that contained 50g of starchy carbs. Say you then added an additional 50g of fibrous carbs. You're now eating a total of 100g of carbohydrates. Subtract the 50g of fibrous carbs, et voila - 50g of carbs.
What the protein bar manufacturers are saying is "look, there are 30g (or whatever) carbs in our protein bar, but 23g (or whatever) of them don't affect insulin secretion so only 7g of them are 'real'."
Whether you buy this is another story. I personally don't worry about it.

Back