Protein pre/post workout

Derek0783

I read somewhere on this site that it is best to take a fast digesting protein before you're workout and a slow digesting protein post workout. I can't find where I read it so I can't look at it again to double-check, but can someone confirm this. I always thought it was opposite - slow digesting before and fast digesting protein post workout.

Thanks

If this has already been answered, I apologize. I couldn't find it anywhere though.

In an article of Bryan's ("Pre/Post Exercise Nutrition to Maximize the Training Effect"), he recommends 0.7-1 g carbs / kgbw immediately after exercise, then again 1-2 hours later, and a total of 7-10 g carbs / kgbw over a 24 hour period. He also mentions 1.6-1.8 g protein / kgbw in that article, but in "Eating For Size", he recommends 0.8-1 g protein / lbbw. I didn't mess up those units, that's straight from the article. Did he accidentally switch them in the Pre/Post Exercise article? After all, this is a very easy thing to do. Otherwise he's recommending nearly 4 g protein / lbbw, which is more than I've ever heard suggested. I'm more concerned with the carb recommendation though, do we assume he meant lb rather than kg?

Well, 1.6g protein per KG of bw is equivalent to 0.7g protein per LB of bw.
The carb recommendation is fishy tho, for a 70Kg person, 10g carbs day would work out to be 2800 cals just for the carbs alone.

Are BCAA's fast or slow?  I'm guessing fast...<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ 2009)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">B. Haycock: BCAAs are great as a pre-workout supplement, especially when taken with a good amount of carbs. Outside of that, they are not a very good use of one’s money. A regular protein drink or other high quality protein will work just fine for the rest of the day.</div>

I'm sticking to my method. I make a YUGE shake with water, 50g whey protein, about 100-125g dextrose (can use maltodextrin if you're thinner), L-arginine, 3-5g glutamine and start sipping it 1/2 hr. before training, and all through training, finishing it by the end of the session. Then we hit Wendy's for the dollar stacks, chili, small shake, and nuggets for the wife.
Eats up a chunk of day, I tell ya!
laugh.gif

Electric, you're absolutely right.  I can't believe I messed those units up.  I kinda wish the authors of these articles would just pick a unit and stick with it.  I know kgs fits with the literature better, but it gets confusing.  And none of the articles report Joules instead of kCals.  It wouldn't be an issue if us dumb Americans were a little more number savy, but not all of us are, I'm living proof. Anyway, thanks for clearing me up.

I agree though, that's a ton of carbs in one (or two) sitting(s).

<div>
(dkm1987 @ Sep. 06 2004,1:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are correct kind sir, you can read about in the Article, Pre/Post Nutrition and in the FAQ also.

Here
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hsn_artcls_prepostnutri.html

and here
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....13;t=23</div>
That article is great, but what does it mean in terms of actual food?

If I am rolling out of bed at 5am and heading to the gym, what should I be eating/drinking?

Need a real food translation.

<div>
(Falco @ Feb. 15 2010,10:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(dkm1987 @ Sep. 06 2004,1:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are correct kind sir, you can read about in the Article, Pre/Post Nutrition and in the FAQ also.

Here
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hsn_artcls_prepostnutri.html

and here
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....13;t=23</div>
That article is great, but what does it mean in terms of actual food?

If I am rolling out of bed at 5am and heading to the gym, what should I be eating/drinking?

Need a real food translation.</div>
I use a 'fruit juice/3 scoops whey/creatine' mix.

I don't like to feel full of fluid so I tend to mix it into a paste and spoon it down. It's actually quite pleasant. I take it about 15 mins before I hit the weights and then have water with a little juice in it during the workout.

Post-wo it's a pint of milk/1-2 bananas/more whey blended. I'm expecting to eat a meal within an hour after that containing plenty of slower digesting protein.

Back