protein question

JonnyH

Ok so if you were to eat around 115g of protein in one meal, how would your body use it? Would more protein simply take longer to digest or would your body just get rid of what it doesnt need at that time?

i was reading the diet section and came accross this post..BUT NO REPLIES...

I have the same curiosity as i have read as you cant store protein you need to consistently provide protein throughout the day (EVERY 2-3 HOURS)

Although i was reading one of lyle's articles and he states daily amount is more important than protein in every meal!

So example from the previous post..115 grams of protein in one meal or split up into 5 meals would equal same amount of muscle growth?? (providing calories are equal)

Would someone who understands any research on this care to explain to me please.

For the most part, a large protein meal will be pretty much as well digested as a smaller loading.

It just may take longer.

When a large bolus gets pushed through, there will be some amino acids making it further through the small intestine than it should, tells the gut to slow gastric emptying.

You should be able to find some information if you search for Ileal brake, jejunal brake, duodenal brake or even perhaps Ileocolonic brake.

Additionally, after absorption into the blood, and after the muscle and protein retaining tissues have been saturated, excess amino acids will be oxidized and excreted as urea - meaning you will have to visit the loo. However, for one single meal the body will try to retain as much as possible, but repetetive meals with higher protein intake will increase protein oxidation. There is much in the literature about this. Often the advice is to not eat so much protein (above 2,8 grams per kg BW) as it only increases oxidation and can be unhealthy due to excess nitrogen waste products, unless you keep yourself well hydrated. Studies show that you won't see any extra mass increases because your protein intake is absurdly high. The body can only work at maximum synthesis rate.

The key to mass increase is to keep protein degradation as small as possible. Do this by increasing your physical activity, taking drugs (hazardous), or do your best to keep your natural hormones levels up (preferred). Make use of protein-sparing methods (dietary carbs and protein), and avoid going catabolic (somewhat depleted glucogen stores, high stress, long workouts, etc.).

End rant.

Back