Protein requirements

Balle007

Hi,

I have been searching for while and I get loads of different recommendations about how much protein one needs, I'm confused.

How much protein do you need in order to gain muscle mass?

If you can support your answer with a study I'd be gratefull...

thx

The standard is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. So if you weigh 180 lbs, you should take 180 grams of protein per day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Balle007 @ Mar. 26 2005,3:48)]How much protein do you need in order to gain muscle mass?
If you can support your answer with a study I'd be gratefull...
thx
This varies and there in lies the problem, Protein Requirements are based on Nitrogen Balance, nitrogen balance varies greatly(1) on exercise, total energy expediture (2), energy intake(3), time of ingestion(4,5,6,7). Other confounding factors include quantity and quality(8,9). Basically what it comes down to is; eat enough protein at the right time. How much is enough? Depends, but as Totentanz said a good rule of thumb is 1 gm/Lb FFM daily, but I personally feel that timing is more critical and you should start your planned protein ingestion around your workouts then add protein in your other meals based on the remainder of your needs per meal. Using an idea from a study(3) I base my dietary protein on 20 to 25 grams pre and post then the rest I divide throughout the day.  

1.Oddoye EA., Margen S. Nitrogen balance studies in humans: long-term effect of high nitrogen intake on nitrogen accretion.
2.Gontzea I, Sutzescu P, Dumitrache S. The influence of adaptation to physical effort on nitrogen balance in man.  
3.Butterfield G, Calloway DH. Physical activity improves protein utilization in young men.
4.Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE,Wolfe RR.
Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.
5.Tipton KD, Ferrando AA, Phillips SM, Doyle D Jr, Wolfe RR.
Postexercise net protein synthesis in human muscle from orally administered amino acids.
6.Tipton KD, Borsheim E, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR.
Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestion.
7.Wolfe RR. Effects of amino acid intake on anabolic processes.
8.Michael J. Rennie, Julien Boheand Robert R. Wolfe
Latency, Duration and Dose Response Relationships of Amino Acid Effects on Human Muscle Protein Synthesis
9.Elena Volpi, Hisamine Kobayashi, Melinda Sheffield-Moore, Bettina Mittendorfer, and Robert R Wolfe
Essential amino acids are primarily responsible for the amino acid stimulation of muscle protein anabolism in healthy elderly adults.

Back