PSMF

I

imported_edziu

I thought I'd pop in to share my results with a short-term PSMF -- Protein-Sparing Modified Fast.

The idea starts with losing weight quickly by taking a fast -- no food. But, to prevent loss of lean tissue, you consume some protein. To ensure that your body still thinks you're fasting, you make sure to consume no carbs, or very few carbs. You try to limit the fat intake while keeping the protein up. So the idea is to consume enough protein to prevent muscle and organ loss, but little to no calories besides, leading to the most possible loss of fat in the shortest time.

This is different from Atkins in that it doesn't pretend to be a healthy diet -- it's a short-term fat loss tool. It differs from CKD's in terms of the much lower calorie count.

I started my PSMF at 218 pounds. I had not been lifting for several months, so this was a stable weight.

I consumed about 1,000 KCal's per day (sometimes less), mostly high-protein foods. I kept my carbs under 10 grams for the first two days to ensure my body went into ketosis. For the next five days, I kept my carbs under 20 grams. Excercise consisted of two 20-30 minute walks with the dog daily. Supplements consisted of a protein shake, a potent multivitamin, and Metamucil.

I watched my weight closely each morning. During the first two days, I lost four pounds. Over the next five, I lost about a pound a day. I bottomed out at 208/209 after seven days. On the eighth day, I began to ramp up to a normal diet.

A week after being on my normal diet again, including a 15-rep workout to help my muscles draw in some glycogen, my weight is stabilized at 211/212 pounds. By all indications, I've lost 1 pound or less of muscle tissue, and 6 pounds or more of fat.

I'm now beginning on a cycle of HST, and I'll be following Bryan's eating guidelines as published in the recent article (except that I'm vegetarian.) I'm considering repeating the PSMF for a week during deconditioning for several cycles; I suspect I can lose twice as much fat during the week of decon than I put on during several weeks of eating heavy while doing HST.

You may now commence telling me what an idiot I am.

Well someone has to try these things! While I have adopted your idea of DB upright Rows, I think I'll pass on this one ;)

Welcome back tho
thumbs-up.gif

Hhhmmmm Very interesting! Did you know that Dave Draper recommends a week of "tuna and water only" to his "bombers" to jump start their fat loss diets?

Truly there is nothing new under the sun!

Actually, I'm not so certain it is all that unhealthy being done for only one week and only once in a while. From what I remember from Akerfeldt's studies, the body is happy to burn fat almost exclusively the first week or so. It's only after that that the fail-safe systems break down and the body becomes "resolved" to using its own lean tissue for fuel.

Do you think conditions after such a long decon would be similar enough to a 10 day decon to reproduce your results? Too late for me to try as next cycle starts Jan 2 but sounds like an interesting experiment. Thanks for sharing. Where'd you get the idea for this?

Kate

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Truly there is nothing new under the sun!

Or, at least, very, very, little. . . Different variants of fasting are as old as religion. The PSMF was written about back in the 50's/60's, although they couldn't get measurements as good.

I got the idea while reading the transcript of a debate before the Department of Agriculture between a bunch of nutritional advocates. It included Atkins, Ornish, Morrison Betha (author: Sugar Busters!), Barry Evans (biochemist), John McDougall (another Ornish-like guy), Keith-Thomas Ayoob (American Deatetic @$$.), and the Surgeon General.

I'm personally of the opinion that an Atkins-type diet is not healthy long-term, but he raised some good points, and cited some interesting research (including mentioning the PSMF) which I then followed up on.

While I don't think such a diet is healthy -- and I'm sure a PSMF is unhealthy -- I do see it as a useful tool. I asked my self, what stress is worse for the body, the occaional week in modified fasting, or carrying around extra pounds of fat for months? Bearing in mind that each pound of fat has an extra thousand miles of capillaries for your heart to pump blood through, I decided to give it a shot after reading up.

I'm doing a PSMF for the two-week decon, with the same stragtegy.. I go by the mirror and I'm beginning to make out hints of my highest abdominal.

I've got lots of muscle and hold/regain it well.

Problem is bodyfat.
I'm currently PSMF at 19% BF.

My plan is to:

1. Continue PSMF for 2 weeks as SD

2. Start HST 15's with a diet like a moderate depletion
i.e.: fructose break before
30 - 60g dextrose after

3. Continue carbs, switching to lower GI starches that day, fiberous carbs at last meal.

4. Next day (rest), normal bodybuilding carbs -
(oatmeal, sweet potatoes)

Gradually bumping up calories from the PSMF levels to build slowly over maintenance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Dec. 30 2002,6:40)]Hhhmmmm Very interesting! Did you know that Dave Draper recommends a week of "tuna and water only" to his "bombers" to jump start their fat loss diets?
Truly there is nothing new under the sun!
He actually only recommends this for 2-3 days. He suggests having your multi-vitamins and some metamucil fiber, while only eating tuna and water the rest of the day. I've tried this for ONE day before, and have to admit, i felt much tighter by the end of the day. In 3 days i'm sure it would be quite noticable.

Back