PWO shake thoughts

<div>
(JAMR @ Oct. 31 2006,04:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">[/b]In addition, there appeared to be a strong dose response relation between the concentration of insulin and phosphorylation of mTOR and p70 S6 kinase (M. J. Rennie, P. L. Greenhaff, and H. Wackerhage, unpublished results). These results strongly suggest that, in the absence of insulin, AAs are able to signal their presence without involvement of p70 S6 kinase or mTOR, but that the effects of insulin and AAs must share a final common pathway because the effects are maximal in the presence of high physiological insulin concentrations. It is possible that AAs signal through other nutrient-sensing and signaling pathways involving eukaryotic initiation factor 2B and glycogen synthase kinase or hitherto unrecognized pathways involving protein kinase B.

27. Greenhaff PL, Peirce N, Simpson E, Hazell M, Babraj J, Waddell T, Smith K, Rennie M. Dose-response relationship during hyperaminoacidaemia between insulin and leg protein turnover in healthy young men studied by tracer amino acid exchange. J Physiol 2005;558P.</div>
And that is one reason why nutrition response is additive to the response of mechaincal strain. The PI3-K path is involved in insulin response whereas mTOR and P70 can be effected without nutritional intervention. But, as Aaron points out there is no human research indicating that a higher magnitude of insulin is better. In fact Kubica shows that diabetic rats can grow just fine (limited versus non diabetic but still grow significantly) during weight training type exercise.

Barr and Esser showed that P70 and mTOR can be manipulated via strictly mechanical sensing even in the face of fasting.

As Aaron is pointing out the role of insulin is more permissive than causative.

I'm a bit lost in the science at this point, but since it's permissive (meaning it won't hurt you?) - am I to understand that with this bit of a gut I have, that I don't really need 100g of simple carbs after a workout to acheive the same effect as, say 50?

Also, I thought that the carbs were to replenish muscle glycogen. (I know fructose does that in the liver)

Just thinking of another way to cut cals here.

So are dextrose (simple carb) and maltodextrin (complex carb) both necessary in a post workout shake? Or would it be best to just use maltodextrin for the longer lasting carbs?

If you are trying to cut cals, just don't put carbs in the pwo shake. Most wheys have some carbs in them anyway.

<div>
(quadancer @ Nov. 01 2006,03:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm a bit lost in the science at this point, but since it's permissive (meaning it won't hurt you?) - am I to understand that with this bit of a gut I have, that I don't really need 100g of simple carbs after a workout to acheive the same effect as, say 50?

Also, I thought that the carbs were to replenish muscle glycogen. (I know fructose does that in the liver)

Just thinking of another way to cut cals here.</div>
glycogen replenishment and to reduce breakdown.

and that breakdown part is important, becuase you can stimulate synthesis all you want, but if breakdown rises to match it you end up going nowhere.

Back