Q for Bryan re HSN Products

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_damo
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_damo

Hi there.

I need some new protein and am going to try your HSN range having previously been using Promax Extreme.

I train at work and take 2 servings to work in a shaker, one for before one for after.

I dont want to have to take 2 shakers, or whatever to work so, my question is:

Which one of your products should I buy and take before AND after? Or would I be better sticking with Promax?

Thanks for your help.

Damo

if your using promax extreme, i guess you are a fellow Brit (from the UK).

If you take a look at what promax 'extreme' actually is....you will find that you are actually being ripped off:

Recommended use:
Mix 1 scoop (30g) of PROMAX Extreme™ with 200ml of water. Stir with a fork for around 10 seconds and drink. For best results, you should be consuming 3 scoops of Promax Extreme™ per day. This will provide your body with the optimum in muscle building nutrients proven in studies to work wonders at packing on lean muscle, stength and size. Drink PROMAX Extreme™ at breakfast time or with meals to boost the protein content, in between meals as a high protein snack, after training to increase recovery or even at bedtime to prevent muscle loss during the night.

Nutrition Information:
1 serving = 30g (1 scoop)
Per 90g (daily serving)

Energy 357 Kcal
1493kJ

Protein (on dry matter) 76.5g
Carbohydrates 4.95g
Fat 4.05g
Performance ingredients:
Glutamine Peptides 5g
5-methyl-7-methoxy isoflavone 300mg
N-acetyl-cysteine 200mg
Omithine keto glutarate 100mg
Chrysin
100mg
Beta-ecdysterone(97%) 40mg
Chromium Polynicotinate 200mcg
Note: Virtually lactose free

Ingredients:
BIOMAX Extreme™ (82% a Maximuscle proprietary high quality blend of whey protein isolates, hydrolysates and whey peptides), cocoa powder in Promax Extreme™ chocolate, Flavouring: either chocolate/strawberry depending on the flavour displayed on each tub, Colours: cochineal in Promax Extreme strawberry, glutamine peptides, creatine monohydrate, medium chain triglyceride, guar gum, 5-methyl-7methoxy isoflavone, N-acetyl-cysteine, sweetener: acesulfame K, ornithine keto-glutarate, chrysin, beta-ecdysterone, chromium polynicotinate.

All you get is 908g for just under £40!!!!!!!
You know that you can get a simple 2.25kg tub of whey protein for around £30... add some creatine....500g for around £15. totals £45, which gives you a hell of a lot more for your money.

There is nothing special about maximuscle products! They are the same as any other product, except they choose to make them more expensive and hype themselves up.

With regards to HSN products, its probably not economically viable to import from the US. Bryan is working on getting a UK supplier (im looking forward to that) so if i were you i would just wait.

If you really do want give HSN products a go, 'primer' would be most similar to the protein powder you are using at the moment. Have one before WO, one after and then eat real food (a complete solid meal) within 1hour.

Regardless, you should take a look around at the protein supplemnet market in the UK.

affordable supplements uk

check out the above link. They stock almmost everything that you can obtain in the UK. There prices are very good. Take your time and compare the nutritional information of all products.
Using maximuscle products really does not make sense....they are just too expensive for what they are!

Hi Stevie,

Appreciate your reply, you're exactly right - I'm from the UK.

Doesn't surprise me I'm being ripped off, always been a bit unsure what to go for interms of protein powder, too many ingredients, isolates, hydrolysates etc, so I alway end up going for the most expensive. Its expensive, it must be good.

butbut.gif

Oh and packaging, I'm a sucker for packaging.

So, whey protein is whey protein? I'm sure I've read stuff before about different types or something. Caseinate or something like that.

Anyhow, maybe I'll pop to Holland and Barrett and get some cheap whey while I do some research and check out that link.

Thanks again.

Oh Stevie, I'd really appreciate if you could recommend a product from that site - just a protein shake that ideally wont make me gag.
crazy.gif

Cheers!

They do reflex, I had nexgen years ago, that was tasty, may go for their instant whey.

I like the way that site has reviews, good to see that its tastes "better than a mcdonalds milkshake" and "i have to stop myself drinking it all the time."

Quality.

Wheres my credit card? ;)

Stevie's right about the cost of getting an order shipped to the UK. But you can help though, jsut send an email to the store where you buy supplements and ask if and when they are going to carry HSN stuff. This lets them know there is a demand for the product and then we can arrange to have them import it for you.

I will.

Having said that, I know theres a demand. If the maths is right I'd be quite happy to import it and sell it on.

Keep it between HSTers. :)

damo,
i just bought a 5lb tub of the reflex instant whey for £30. it is good.
In the past i have bought the 5lb tub of EAS simply whey also for £30. i personally really like the chocolate flavour...but i know others who dont....
Both products mix very very easily with just a fork. Taste is a very personal thing so I cannot guarentee anything, but i doubt that you would dislike the taste of these products.

I wasnt very impressed by prolab's 5lb whey. It was harder to mix and i didnt like the taste...but it gets some good reviews, so maybe its just a personal thing.

Holland and Barrett powders are ok, but there are cheaper, better tasting, and better mixing ones on the market (like the ones i suggested from affordable supps)

Generally, whey is whey. You can get different levels of purity. Whey protein concentrate is typically 80% protein, which is perfectly adequate.
If you like, you can add up the cost of protein gram for gram to make a proper comparison. Youll find that maximuscle charges a rediculous amount for their protein.
eg:
promax extreme: ~85% protein
908g x 85% = 771.8g of protein
771.8/£40 = 19.3g/£

Reflex whey: ~80% protein
2270g x 80% = 1816g of protein
1816/£31 = 58.5g/£

58.5/19.3 = 3
That means that maximuscle charges 3x the amount for the SAME protein!!!! (your body doesnt destinguish between brands. The whey proteins it gets fed are the same regardless)
That is the only reason why i dont advise you buy from maximuscle.

To sum up, here are the reasons for choosing a brand:
1)you trust their label claims
2)the cost is reasonable
3)you like the taste
4)it mixes easily

thats it! Dont buy into the hype/advertising propaganda.

Why would i use HSN products over others?
1)i trust the label claims
2)I have to see what happens to cost when it gets to UK (the problem is that others in this country seem to be willing to pay rediculous prices for protein powders...so im worried that any UK carrier will wack up the prices
sad.gif
)
3 + 4) ive heard good reviews about taste and mixing properties

Bryan i will certainly be sending emails!

Cheers! Just ordered the Reflex instant whey in strawberry from that site of yours. Got the smaller tub so I can check out the taste......mind you must be better than the promax - that was gross.

Thanks for your advice.

If
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2)I have to see what happens to cost when it gets to UK (the problem is that others in this country seem to be willing to pay rediculous prices for protein powders...so im worried that any UK carrier will wack up the prices )

Should Import it ourselves and sell it on.

Back