Quad strength relative to hamstring strength

Hardrock

Anyone know or can point me to what the appropriate ratio of quad strength to hamstring strength is? My hamstrings are much stronger than my quads judging by the weight difference between leg extensions and seated leg curls. I've been trying to focus leg workouts on quad exercises like front squats to bring down the imbalance but I'm not making any progress.

If your quads are really weaker than your hams, than you are one of very few. Quads are naturally stronger than hams, about 20% stronger.

hardrock

The quads are a much bigger muscle and should be stronger, just keep going with the squats, to improve strength do some explosive squatting from the bottom up (takwe less weight than normal and explode up once you touch bottom)
butbut.gif

I can hardly believe that to be possible, it is like saying that your biceps are stronger than your triceps, I have seen it tough, and...guess what it is a matter of preserverance, that is all there is to it
thumbs-up.gif

I'm just going by what I can leg curl (seated) vs leg extension. It may have something to do with using seated curls vs lying curls. My gym only has seated curls so I can't compare with lying leg curl- I may be weaker in hams in that position.

Back