Quality home dip stand

mikeynov

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, is anybody aware of a reasonable quality dip stand for purchase that isn't outrageously expensive? This is something I've wanted...for a long time.

If you have somewhere in your home some wall studs showing (l do in the storage room of my basement), you can build your own dip station out of 2x4's, something that I did. Only took a few hours. Otherwise, you might be able to build one out of metal piping (straight pipes, 2-way pipe angles, and 3-way pipe angles) that you'd find in your local builder supply store, like a Home Depot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BrianG @ Oct. 13 2004,1:32)]If you have somewhere in your home some wall studs showing (l do in the storage room of my basement), you can build your own dip station out of 2x4's, something that I did. Only took a few hours. Otherwise, you might be able to build one out of metal piping (straight pipes, 2-way pipe angles, and 3-way pipe angles) that you'd find in your local builder supply store, like a Home Depot.
I've considered making my own, but the #### up potential seems pretty high. As I'll be dipping with > 100 lbs around my waist, it also has to not explode randomly, and I'm not sure my crafting abilities are up to task :p

I built mine, from 2 90's, 2 tee's, 2 floor nipples, and 5 pieces of 3/4 Inch galvinized. I use my weight rack for the support. I dip with 50lbs and no problems yet. Michael if you want instructions let me know. It is somewhat foldable so it doesn't get in the way when not used.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Oct. 13 2004,5:21)]I built mine, from 2 90's, 2 tee's, 2 floor nipples, and 5 pieces of 3/4 Inch galvinized. I use my weight rack for the support. I dip with 50lbs and no problems yet. Michael if you want instructions let me know. It is somewhat foldable so it doesn't get in the way when not used.
If you'd be willing to type out instructions that'd be cool.

Just bear in mind that I'm dumb as a doornail when it comes to home repair/construction stuff. So if this is any more complicated than assembling a bigwheel, I could be in trouble.

Easier than a big wheel, but as complicated as a kite.

I'll email ya later this evening with some quick instuctions

Is there a reason why you specifically need a dipping stand? If not then I just place some metal bars that I bought from lowe's across my power rack bars and use some spin locks to lock them in place. i weigh 205 pounds and have done dips with over 120 pounds around my waist on them and haven't had a problem with stability. I have a Bodysolid power rack which isn't too expensive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ejones @ Oct. 14 2004,4:22)]Is there a reason why you specifically need a dipping stand? If not then I just place some metal bars that I bought from lowe's across my power rack bars and use some spin locks to lock them in place. i weigh 205 pounds and have done dips with over 120 pounds around my waist on them and haven't had a problem with stability. I have a Bodysolid power rack which isn't too expensive.
This might actually work, but what exactly are spin locks?
sad.gif
Like, if I could easily secure to metal bars in my squat rack, yah, I suppose that'd work just dandy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeynov @ Oct. 14 2004,5:11)]This might actually work, but what exactly are spin locks?
sad.gif
Like, if I could easily secure to metal bars in my squat rack, yah, I suppose that'd work just dandy.
It's really pretty simple if I can do a good job explaining it. I went to Lowe's and got two nice and thick metal bars. I don't know what they're called, but they're not heavy and bulky like they probably sound. They're actually about the perfect size and length to lay across the power rack and perfect size for your hands. Next, my power rack has the normal bars that run across them that you can use to spot you during squats or other exercises (I forget what they're called). I noticed that the bars I'm talking about in the rack were about the perfect size to use the locks that I had for my standard size barbell set that I don't use anymore (the locks that you slide down the bar then twist around to secure the plates). If you don't know what the locks are that I'm talking about go here to get an idea. The ones that I'm using to fit my power rack bars are smaller than the ones on that page, but that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I went to the local sporting goods store and bought 2 more of those so that I had 4 total. I place my two thick bars parallel to each other and lie them on the bars in my power rack and secure them up against the 4 corners of the rack by using the 4 locks. It works really well. I even bought a cheap, long mirror and set it against my wall so that I can see my form and when I go down to the proper bottom position on my dips.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ejones @ Oct. 15 2004,12:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeynov @ Oct. 14 2004,5:11)]This might actually work, but what exactly are spin locks?
sad.gif
It's really pretty simple if I can do a good job explaining it. I went to Lowe's and got two nice and thick metal bars. I don't know what they're called, but they're not heavy and bulky like they probably sound. They're actually about the perfect size and length to lay across the power rack and perfect size for your hands. Next, my power rack has the normal bars that run across them that you can use to spot you during squats or other exercises (I forget what they're called). I noticed that the bars I'm talking about in the rack were about the perfect size to use the locks that I had for my standard size barbell set that I don't use anymore (the locks that you slide down the bar then twist around to secure the plates). If you don't know what the locks are that I'm talking about go here to get an idea. The ones that I'm using to fit my power rack bars are smaller than the ones on that page, but that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I went to the local sporting goods store and bought 2 more of those so that I had 4 total. I place my two thick bars parallel to each other and lie them on the bars in my power rack and secure them up against the 4 corners of the rack by using the 4 locks. It works really well. I even bought a cheap, long mirror and set it against my wall so that I can see my form and when I go down to the proper bottom position on my dips.
Unfortunately, I have kind of a cheap-o, weider squat rack in which you CAN'T remove the safety catches (the bars which protect you from smushing in squats), and they're too thick for that type of thing.

If I could think of something that would somehow fit around them without requiring them to be taken out and would lock in place, this idea could still work. If not, I'll probably have to try something else :p

I hope this makes sense if not IM me and I'll try and clarify

Yah, I think I will need some explanation with that, as I'm not sure whether I'd be constructing a dip stand or a rocket ship
sad.gif

Mikey, what i did was buy 2 chin up bars similar to this

Each bar comes with 2 attachments that you first have to screw into the walls. Once the attachments are in place, you can insert or remove the bar anytime. In my hallway, I positioned the attachments 4 feet from the ground and about shoulder width apart from each other. After I'm done wtih the dips, I simply remove the bars from the attachment so that it doesnt block the hallway. It works like a charm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_dark_master @ Oct. 18 2004,6:46)]HST Expert - My arse!
Well Dark_Master actually he is, Michael is a very sharp guy who understands alot more than how to build something. Basically we all have our individual talents, you are a smart craftsman, that's yours. Michael is a very smart young man when it comes to biology and this whole muscle growth thing. So yes I would say he is an Expert at HST. As I would say you are a very talented man at building things from just your simple visualization. So to give the credit where it's due.

Both of you.
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Oct. 18 2004,6:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_dark_master @ Oct. 18 2004,6:46)]HST Expert - My arse!
Well Dark_Master actually he is, Michael is a very sharp guy who understands alot more than how to build something. Basically we all have our individual talents, you are a smart craftsman, that's yours. Michael is a very smart young man when it comes to biology and this whole muscle growth thing. So yes I would say he is an Expert at HST. As I would say you are a very talented man at building things from just your simple visualization. So to give the credit where it's due.
Both of you.
worship.gif
I appreciate the kind words :) I'm pretty sure he was just ribbing me, though, which is totally fine.

Believe me, I know I'm pretty stupid about certain things. For example, I'm a terrible cook. I don't have much of a jump shot in basketball, though I am quick...

But yah, if there were a 'Totally not a Craftsman Expert' label, it could aptly go next to my name.

Yeah, apologies... I would just add that Arnie did it with two chairs and besides, you could probably knocksomething-up which would handle BW+100lbs easy; and if it did break, build another one - stronger

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_dark_master @ Oct. 19 2004,7:49)]Yeah, apologies... I would just add that Arnie did it with two chairs and besides, you could probably knocksomething-up which would handle BW+100lbs easy; and if it did break, build another one - stronger
The concern isn't so much that the dip stand per se breaks, but rather that *I* break as a result of it breaking. And it's probably hard to repair me :p

Back