Question about Fitday's info

Mindwraith

According to fitday I apparently burn over 3200 cals per day w/o any exercise. With exercise it usually hits 3600-3800. My average calorie intake over the past month is only 2500, and most days it ends up being 1900-2000. Given this fact I should be losing a HELL of a lot of fat. My tummy should be flat as a table and my ab muscles rippling under my skin. Why is it I still have such a freaking belly on me. I can't get rid of it no matter how hard I try, even with ECA stacks and lypoderm-Y. Perhaps I should wait another month and see but my goodness, judging by fit day I should be there already.

If I were capable I'd try lyle's meathod of removing stubborn fat. But I'd have to be unemployed to do it unfortunately.

Another thing that fit day doesn't take into account is that my muscle mass is bigger than it ever has been. I'm almost becoming too big at least in the upper body. Should this not further boost my metabolism at least to the levels that seem exaggerated on that site? I had expected it would, but it never did, it is still just as hard to kill this obscene gut fat as it was when I first began. In fact there's more fat there now than there was 8 months ago after I had started 11 months ago. Whats the deal? Muscle mass twice the size yet the same or worse metabolism? I'm about to turn 29 on Sunday could this have something to do with it?

I'm horribly frustrated, though HST has worked fantastically for hypertrophy I'm still not seeing the end results I've worked so hard for...the loss of my gut. Muscles continue to grow, yet the fat never leaves dispite my apparently low calorie intake.

I need advice.

First off, I love Fitday and have been using it for about a year and a half now. That beign said, it's really only as good as what you input. Are you measuring your food, or just using eyebology? :)

I know that it's easy after a while to just sort of repeat what you've done the day before. Every once in a while I take what I usually eat and re-weigh it to make sure I haven't inadvertantly increased the portion sizes. I only do this when I'm trying to lean out.

I also don't pay very close attention to the activity calories. I think that the basal rate is on target, but that the daily activity and exercise has much to be desired. You should use one of the formulas available to judge your activity more accurately. Bryan's eating for size article has one. There is also one at Avant's site done by Zeppelin. (see below)

In my case, I am in kind of the same boat as you are. According to Fit day I should be at around an 800-1000 calorie deficit each day. I've been doing this for 3 months, but am not nearly as lean as I feel I should be. I have even employed refeeds to make sure my metabolism isn't bottomed out. It does get frustrating.

My advice is to make sure you are actually consumeing what you are entering, ignor the activity calories, and go from there. If you haven't overfeed in a while, you should take a break and get your metabolism back on track.
Good luck.

Avant (fo to the magazine link and look through the past issues. Look for an article titled "performance eating part I")

I agree Fitday overestimates caloric expenditure. If you set your lifestyle level at "seated work" and then add in your activity calories daily, you will get a much more accurate number. Then compare that as Steve said to well known formulas and tweek it to get it right on Fitday.

Here's another link for esitmating energy expenditure:

Calorie Calculators

Elle

go to healthetech.com. they have a machine you breath into for 20 mins & it gives you your EXACT BMR.

No formulas, exact. I did mine & have conquered the waistline issue, i'm back to 32" waist.

forget the online formulas, its all averages & guess work. Healthetech.com is exact & it works.

Well, most my measurements are very accurate and none if it is eyeballed, all the info comes from the packaging and also measurements if needed based on the packages. Anything obscure like eggs and meat is measured via their info on the site. Give or take 100 cals I'm at exactly 1800-2000 a day except for friday and saturday when it's around 2800-3500. But according to the averages counting those "refeeds" I'm at 2400 when looking at the month's report.

I'll check out the breath thing that may help a lot. Wish those bodyfat scales worked on us HST'ers but they aren't calibrated for that. I can hardly go by weight loss considering I may or may not have gained 2lbs in muscle at any given time. I can only go by pants and mirror for fat loss.

Thanks for the responses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scratch @ April 18 2003,11:10)]go to healthetech.com. they have a machine you breath into for 20 mins & it gives you your EXACT BMR.
Well not exact, you would have to be still for 45-60mins prior to the test to get closer to the figure.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No formulas, exact. I did mine & have conquered the waistline issue, i'm back to 32" waist.
it does require a formula, its just you dont see it :D

My weight rose from 192.0 lbs to 193.5 lbs over the past week of a pretty solid <2100 cal diet. I'm gonna have to guess that it was muscle gain, and that a scale just isn't going to tell me any kind of real information whatsoever.

clarification, i found the breath analizer @ healthetech.com to be very accurrate. Furthermore they sold me a software package (food & exercise log) that was much more detailed than Fitday.

it really helped me & took all the "guess work" i.e. Inactive, somewhat active, moderately active, very active- out of the process.

bottom line is it got my cals, type of cals, expenditure under control.

it gets a thumbs up from me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Furthermore they sold me a software package (food & exercise log) that was much more detailed than Fitday.

What are the key features of that software ?

key features: every food on earth pre-programmed, fat/cal/protien/carb breakdown of everything, in every proportion size, allows me to set-up reocurring meals, combines caloric in take, weight loss/gain, goals, & found it very easy to use. exercise section, shows you how to plot by day, week & month.

in fact it got me to the point where i no longer need it. i now know my bmr & caloric necessities to the point wher i am dancing between 10-12% bf.

Back