Question about squats

ashby

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing squats with only lowering weights about 20 cm (8 inches). If I would go a bit lower, the weights has to be a lot lighter, otherwise I cant do it. Also, the lower I go, the more stress I feel on my lower back that could transform to slight pain the next day. I want to train front thighs with this exercise, glutes are unimportant. I also do leg extensions along with squats.

Question is this: should I do go lower with lighter weights while squatting or keep it as it is?

Thanks!

Ashby, unless you are a very short person (~ 60cm high) you are not actually doing a squat. Sounds more like a slight knee bend.

Suggestion: if possible, get hold of a copy of Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore. Digest Ripp's words and learn to squat properly. It doesn't matter how light the weight is to begin with as long as you use good form; you then have plenty of time to increase the load while lifting safely.

Ripp favours a low-bar back squat, others prefer a high-bar squat (often called an Oly squat). Then there's the front squat, which is often used as an ancillary exercise for cleans. The main thing is to learn to perform whichever form of the exercise you prefer correctly from the start.

Glutes are always important when squatting as are your hamstrings and adductors. The more upright your stance, the more you will throw stress on your quads. That might seem like front squats would be best for quad development. However, you will be unable to use as much weight for a front squat as for a low-bar back squat so it's not quite so simple as that. If you squat properly you will realise that your entire posterior chain and quads get worked very hard.

For a good example of each form of squats watch the following vids

Here is Ripp performing a set of 10 low-bar squats with 315#:

Here's Chakarov performing some high-bar squat doubles (vid quality is bad but you should be able to see what's going on well enough):

Finally, here's Dabaya front squatting 200kg for reps with great form:

Chakarov, and Oly lifters in general, have amazing flexibility. Don't be surprised if you cannot manage the same depth of squat as he does. Tight hamstrings may well preclude you from a deep squat but you can work on this and over time your squat depth can improve dramatically.

There's a ton to learn about good squat form but if you start by reading and applying Ripp's advice in SS you will be off to a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back