Revamping My Warmup

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by colby2152, Jun 17, 2008.

1. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

My stretching routine isn't that great... I usually jump around a bit, rotate my arms around my shoulder, stretch my quads and hamstrings in the usual fashion, sometimes do trunk rotations, toe touches, and put my arms behind my back.

I need something more vibrant and interesting to keep me in it, but not a routine that is too long. I am looking for a good 5 minutes to stretch.

2. bgates1654

bgates1654 New Member

Thats your warmup? Do you have any exercises that you actually need to stretch just to reach full range of motion? If not, skip the stretching pre-WO. I do some joint mobility work, then use the Burgener warmup as a general warmup, then do a few sets lighter than my work sets for exercise specific warmup.

3. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

<div>
    (bgates1654 @ Jun. 17 2008,3:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... use the Burgener warmup as a general warmup ...</div>
    The Burgener warmup is great. I only just came across it the other day on the CrossFit vids page. Worth checking out Colby.

I also think that some light cleans and presses make for a pretty thorough warm up, especially if you go down into a full front squat each rep.

4. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

<div>
    (fearfactory @ Jun. 18 2008,9:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've seen some cross-fitters doing burpees... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee

what's the Burgener?</div>
    The Burgener warmup is in a nice Cross-Fit pdf here

Here's a better link for the Burpee . I am sure several reps or sets of those would be beneficial. It's a good movement for the entire body.

5. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

I'm still looking for a good warm-up. I may go back to Pilates, but I would like to utilize the Swiss ball more.

6. j.c.

j.c. New Member

7. faz

faz Active Member

5mins on the crosstrainer to warm up the whole body,
    then dynamic stretches(no static stretches)
    leg swings front/back left/right
    arm swings/rotations all ways
    trunk twists stood up,and bent over
    hip rotations
    neck rotations
    knee rotations
    toe touches knees slightly bent
    warm up sets. [​IMG] [​IMG]