RIP Jesse Marunde

RUSS

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8562

Died july 25th-
sad.gif

This is Sarge's post about what happened:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Friends, we suffered a great loss in the strongman community last evening. The Sequim Crew was doing what they do. Training hard and particularly training Jesse for the WSM contest in Anaheim. He died quickly and painlessly.

The squat set was as follows:
230kg x 8
190kg x 8
150kg x 8
110kg x 8
70kg x 8
Followed immediately by:
600# tire flip
265# stone load
All of this was done with no rest between sets. Rack, pull, go
At the completion of these sets Jesse laid on his back, on the cold floor like normal. Breck and Sarge noticed that his breathing was laborious. Jesse became incoherent and stopped breathing. We administered cpr, called 911 and continued to resusitate until paramedics arrived. They set up the defibrillator, epinephrin, to no avail. He was worked on for over an hour between Breck, Sarge and the paramedics.

These are the facts as it happened. We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss. We appreciate your support and prayers.

The Sequim Crew</div>

I am gutted. Jesse was a great inspiration to me and thousands of others. He will be missed by all lovers of strongman comps.

So long big fella.

Sounds like sudden cardiac death. Did he have a cold/fever prior to when he died? Did he juice? Did he have a familial history of cardiac problems?

Yes, it was a heart attack AFAIK. Jesse never had the classic look of a juicer but I think he would probably have had to have been juicing in order to compete at such a high level. Don't know about his family history or the state of his health at the time of his last session.

From Serge's account it seems like it was the high-fatigue workout that triggered the heart attack. I imagine Jesse had done this many times before though. I suppose it's possible that he had a congenital heart defect and he pushed too hard on this occasion. I really hope that the full story comes to light.

I hope there is something we can learn from this.

My next squat session is for Jesse.

There is something to be learned from this, but I am hesitant to post it as the last time I gave advice, certain people jumped all over me for doing so.

In spite of this, here is the advice:

1. NEVER exercise if you have a fever or if you have a cold.

2. If you choose to use "additives," you would be well advised to have your heart checked to ensure you have no congenital/genetic related ventricular hypertrophy or any other underlying illness of the heart.

3. If you don´t use "additives," it is in anycase advisable to have a regular checkup if you are involved in any kind of regular and intense sport. Sudden heart attacks can happen at almost any intensity and, more often than not, there are underlying abnormalities of the heart which in many cases can be determined by a thorough check-up.

Most cases of sudden heart attacks are due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathies, coronary artery blockages and myo-/ or pericarditis, which is a swelling of the sac surrounding the heart due to an infection or fever. Then there are the congenital causes, valve abnormalities and arrhythmias. These can almost always be determined by a cardiologist.

I have some articles, if anyone is interested which are too large to post. Just pm me.

Age-related cardiovascular causes of sudden
death during sports activity.

Young competitive athletes (age ≤ 35 years)
• Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
• Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy
• Congenital anomalies of coronary arteries
• Myocarditis
• Aortic rupture
• Valvular disease
• Preexcitation syndromes and conduction diseases
• Ion channel disease
• Congenital heart disease, operated or unoperated
Adults (age > 35 years)
• Atherosclerotic coronary artery disease

Thanks for your thoughts Doc.

Don't worry about the virtual fleas either.
biggrin.gif

Good advice Doc - these things happen (usually 3-4 per year) in the strongman/powerlifting/strength community and almost everytime it was a higher than normal intensity W/O during the peaking phase leading up to a competition.
smile.gif

I was very saddened to hear this.

I liked Jesse and have seen him perform many times on British TV.

Very sad, thoughts are with his family.

Pretty awful thing to hear about concerning Jesse.  That's the risk you take when you're on drugs, and don't give me this crap about how it was a genetic predisposition or his intensity was too high. You think a 27 year old healthy athlete can actually push himself to have a heart attack ?  If that kind of thing was possible I'd be dead by now.  

Shlt.... It was fukin drugs that either exacerbated his condition or outright caused his heart attack and you know it.  Same thing with Jon Pall Sigmarrson.  Now all the little pussies out there can scream and whine about how there's no proof that drugs had anything to do with it.

<div>
(stevejones @ Aug. 01 2007,13:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pretty awful thing to hear about concerning Jesse.  That's the risk you take when you're on drugs, and don't give me this crap about how it was a genetic predisposition or his intensity was too high. You think a 27 year old healthy athlete can actually push himself to have a heart attack ?  If that kind of thing was possible I'd be dead by now.  </div>
Happens often enough to make some sporting bodies want to test all athletes prior to them being allowed to compete. Drugs or no drugs, it is not common.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Shlt.... It was fukin drugs that either exacerbated his condition or outright caused his heart attack and you know it. Same thing with Jon Pall Sigmarrson. .</div>So you know that Jesse had an inherited heart condition like Jon Pall?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now all the little pussies out there can scream and whine about how there's no proof that drugs had anything to do with it</div>

Like all the people with no actual evidence to support their claims start blaming drugs that you dont know if he took or not.

maybe you should do some reading on sudden cardiac death in the athletes before jumping to conclusions? But I guess that wouldnt be as fun.

Back