Rippetoe Squatting

This should go in the vids thread. Good set. Reps nice and explosive. More pause at the top than I am used to but the reps are solid. Might give that a go.

Wow, that's a lotta weight for that old man to move.

I think I'd want to be IN the power rack with that many wheels on the bar.

TR,

No, he is actually against working out inside a power rack. He also mentioned that he recently did a 25-rep set at 225 in the exact same manner.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jun. 13 2008,3:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, that's a lotta weight for that old man to move.

I think I'd want to be IN the power rack with that many wheels on the bar.</div>
You only need to squat in a power rack if you haven't got a spotter (or in my case, even if you have!) and you are trying for a max or going to failure. Otherwise you stop when you know you could probably make another rep or two. Ripps form is barely breaking down when he stops. I reckon if his heart and lungs were up to it he might make 20 reps! I hope I can lift as well as Ripp in 10 years time.

Several things:
that grunt on the last rep tells me he was pretty well done for form.
I see he has the flexion problem I have; getting behind the bar, and has the bar in his lower palms. I gotta try that.
The strengthmeister is looking forward, but down a bit. Makes ya think.
The strengthmeister is not using clips. I used to skip the clips in case of an abort; I felt that YOU needed to control the weight, but the roidmonsters in our local gym would always come over and bug me to put on clips. Now it's a habit. Well, it does help keep the plates centered when you're getting into position.
It was good lifting for a guy just younger than me. Now I have new goal..or waitaminnit, haven't I done that allready?
laugh.gif
Have to look.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 13 2008,8:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Several things:
I see he has the flexion problem I have; getting behind the bar, and has the bar in his lower palms. I gotta try that.
The strengthmeister is not using clips. I used to skip the clips in case of an abort; I felt that YOU needed to control the weight, but the roidmonsters in our local gym would always come over and bug me to put on clips. Now it's a habit. Well, it does help keep the plates centered when you're getting into position.
It was good lifting for a guy just younger than me. Now I have new goal..or waitaminnit, haven't I done that allready?
laugh.gif
Have to look.</div>
He advises people to focus in at a point in front of you on the floor. This way your neck doesn't have to bend; you'll have a concentration point; and apparently it keeps the back and neck lined up in a good way. You can read about it in Starting Strength. I don't have it with me, so I can't quote it.

<div>
(il_dottore @ Jun. 13 2008,9:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can't see the video</div>
It may have opened up externally (outside of your browser).

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 13 2008,1:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Several things:
laugh.gif
 Have to look.</div>
Did you see Jesse's 20 rep (high bar) squat with around his 12RM? More like what Ripp was doing rest-pause wise. He got there though. I think Jesse was puffing after about 6 reps.

I noticed Ripps head too. Nice neutral spine position. That's how I have to put my hands; bar touching the outside of each hand, wrists straight, thumbs just resting on top. As long as I keep my elbows up there's never any weight on my hands, just the force against the bar to keep my scaps adducted.

My plates are so slippy on the bar that if I don't use clips; the slightest tip in the bar sends them sliding along. In the past I have used bars and plates that would happily stay put with some tipping and wobbling. Putting on clips is a good habit though. You'd get a nasty surprise if you didn't use them and one day used a bar and weights like mine. Train wreck!

Oh, here's Jesse's squat effort vid:

Jesse 20 rep squat with 407

Can you believe it was almost a year ago that he died? (July 25th 07)

<div>
(wannagrow @ Jun. 14 2008,2:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">They talk about a butt wink. Can anyone explain what that is?</div>
Butt wink is a term among the CrossFit community (metcon/GPP fanatics at www.crossfit.com ) for when overly tight hamstrings pull on your pelvis and cause you to lose lumbar extension at the bottom of a squat. It's called &quot;wink&quot; because it happens for just a fraction of a second; a squatter has perfect lumbar extenion almost all the way down and then *wink* they lose it suddenly at the bottom.

It's considered a form problem at CrossFit because it can cause you to round your back at a very bad time. A &quot;true&quot; CrossFitter aspires have perfect hip control and thus no butt wink. Rippetoe is pretty much THE strength/powerlifting coach for CrossFit, but he(obviously) takes the butt wink issue w/ a grain of salt, saying that if the lumbar straightening isn't too bad, it's no problem.

<div>
(Robert B @ Jun. 16 2008,10:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
he(obviously) takes the butt wink issue w/ a grain of salt, saying that if the lumbar straightening isn't too bad, it's no problem.</div>
I am sorry. I don't understand this. I do the same think (the wink) at the bottom of the ATG-SQ. So should I worry about it or not?

What some think is a &quot;butt wink&quot; is not really a butt wink. It is more common to see a stretching/flattening of a glutes which makes it look like the arch is lost.

A small &quot;butt wink&quot; is nothing to worry about, but a complete rounding of the lower back is. Rippetoe recommends tightening the back in a neutral position so that the back is strengthened and more resilient for when the back must be round to pick something up such as an atlas stone. So some rounding is not an issue. To quote Rippetoe, &quot;Perfect is the enemy of good&quot;

You'd probably have to post a vid so we can see how severe it is.

Back