School, Work, My Diet, & LBM.

MrNasty

School just started and I just got a new job. So finding time to get the cals in each day, that I need, often a difficult task. I make all my own meals, so when I home my diet is on track. Its when I'm working that hurts me. I work sparatic 8 hr shifts any 5 days a week. Because of work, I'm not able to get in the calories I need each day. The results of this has been a 6lbs loss in the last 3 weeks - from 194lbs to 188lbs or even lower (I havent weighed in a couple days).

I guess the up side to this is that my waste is getting smaller. Unfortunaitly, so are my arms and I assume everything else.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I'm currently bring snacks to work, along with small meals (which I gobble down on my 10min breaks) such as Tuna sandwhichs, ext. For my hr break I go home and eat as much as I can - usually a pre-planned meal and a protien shake (800cals). So, with all this i still lose weight.

I assume the new activity level is a shock to my body. My activity day to day increased 100%. I went from doing nothing (no job - no school) to working and going to school. I'm just trying to find a way to balance everything out. Any suggestion would be a great help. Thanks....

Take more snacks, walnuts/almonds, natural jerky, olive or flaxseed oil, peanut butter and eat more. When your weight stabilizes, then you know you hit your appropriate maintenance level.

MrNasty

I'm in the same boat you are just about. Last week on Monday i started my new job and school on the same day. Plus, my old job isn't over yet. I'm packed right now, lol.

Good news, i love my new job. I'm working in a Pets Department. I'm a sensitive man, and i look in those puppies eyes and it just tears my heart out.
laugh.gif

Who says bodybuilders are big insensitive beasts?

Anyways, a little help. I pretty much have my diet plan, have my meals and how many i'm eating per day. And, basically, just do your best. Here's Monday for instance. Work 8-12, school 1-4:30. I wake up ~7 lets say, have my first meal. Go to work, i don't get my next meal until work's over, for only 4 hours i get no lunch break. Work ends, eat my next meal, go to school. I allways stop at home and eat, but i could just as well eat it in the car before i go to school or whatever.

Then i have school. I'll plan on eating maybe at 2pm, or 3pm. I just wait until i get a break that is around that time, and go to my car and eat my next meal.

School ends, i'm back in my normal routine at home for the day, eating my meals when planned and so on.

Basically, not much changes. Only thing that changes is i can't have a meal every 3-4 hours, one of them is for sure going to be a long split. That's okay though, you have to do the best you can.

I've allways had 3 good meals and 2 shakes for the day. A simple approach. I'd like to have breakfast, shake, lunch, shake, dinner, but i can't allways have it that way. So i'll mix it up to whatever i can fit in my day conveniently. A shake is much easier to have on the way to school if i'm in a rush then one of my meals sometimes, so i'll eat the meal while on my break at school or something.

It's not too hard, you just have to set up your meal plan (whereas it seems you just eat and for that reason are having trouble getting in enough, and follow it out. I don't think it hurts if you can't get it all in evenly divided, it's optimal, but you have to face reality. It's not going to happen perfectly. Fine, so be it. We have priorities.

Hope this helped some.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 02 2004,8:23)]Take more snacks, walnuts/almonds, natural jerky, olive or flaxseed oil, peanut butter and eat more. When your weight stabilizes, then you know you hit your appropriate maintenance level.
Lance: Work + School = overload. I hear ya.

That's funny you mention this DK. I actually carry around a bag of almonds/walnutes/peanut mix (unsalted) at work - sometimes a bag of turkey jerky. It does curb the hungry cravings a bit, but not much.

You see, I was eating every 2 hrs on the dot for almost a year or so straight - everyday. I was usually consuming around 7-8 meals a day. Now, however, I'm getting only 4-5 meals ED with a couple snacks here or there (mixed nuts/jerky/protien shakes).

So calories consumed has decreased, activity levels have increased. Aww, I see the problem much clearer now - when put like that.

Anyway, I just wipped up dozem chicken breasts w/carrots, broccoli, asparigus, and string beans. I also made some spagetti (100% whole wheat pasta, 99% lean ground Turkey). I gota get packen those up so they can go in the freezer.

Thanks for the help guys....

BTW, congrats to both of you on the new Jobs. I hope it works out for both of you
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Sep. 03 2004,9:39)]BTW, congrats to both of you on the new Jobs. I hope it works out for both of you
thumbs-up.gif
I hate my job. I do all the bitch work. It has it perks though (lots women).

My job just plain blows (cashing and pushing carts at an always busy grocery store. Breaks suck, starting wage sucks, raises really suck, there's a couple fine young ladies there, but the 70 year olds are the one's that want to be your friend (unfortunately). But hey, what else can you find at 16?

I find that during school is the easiest time to get a good nutrition plan, because you're always doing the same thing at the same scheduled time. Work is tough, and hard to find a way around. On my 10 minute break I usually buy 2 protein/mrp/energy bars, and have a glass of water.

Ummm, can't you just have bigger meals? I mean, instead of 7 separate medium-ish meals, can't you have 4 bigger meals? Obviously you'll have to eat a lot more in those sittings, but it should still be do-able...

no - food partitionning...6-8 smaller meals are way betther for your body and development than 3 big ones (because of a lot of reasons i dont want to list here)

believe me, (if got work/school as well around 60hrs a week) dieting in such a schedule is way harder then bulking

With each meal, I do try to eat more, yes. But this is not always possible when your on a 10min break. I might get in a can of tuna or a tuna sandwhich, maybe a bag of turkey jerk, before my 10min is up. I work right around the corner from work, so for lunch I'll go home. There is where I shovel it in.

Despite all this though (the meals during break and big lunches) I'm still losing weight. Strengh is still up and increasing with every workout, so I cant imagine there is much LBM loss. I'm trying to use the mirror as a judgement for progress and not the myo-tapes and scales. I think the mirror is a better gauge in determining the quality of progress at this piont.

Back