Sci's HST Log

Lol, do you think it would be doable to do the Deadlift every workout, instead of Leg Press? I have a problem doing squats, but seem to be able do deadlifts frequently, as long as its not too heavy. Or should I alternate these two? You got me thinking, that I want to hit the posterior chain directly, and deadlifts are perfect for that. Any advice?

Lol, do you think it would be doable to do the Deadlift every workout, instead of Leg Press? I have a problem doing squats, but seem to be able do deadlifts frequently, as long as its not too heavy. Or should I alternate these two? You got me thinking, that I want to hit the posterior chain directly, and deadlifts are perfect for that. Any advice?

I don't think it would be smart to deadlift every session—not for me, at any rate. I think frequent deadlifting can be too much of a drain on your system, esp. once the loads are up and your in the 5s. I reckon once a week is fine for recovery. I made good progress doing that over the course of a year.

If your freq. is 3 x weekly then I'd probably do leg press 2 x weekly and some kind of deadlift in the other session. That way you can hit the deads hard each time and give yourself a chance to recover from their holistic effect! :)

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I'll do two "A" workouts, followed by one "B" workout.
A) leg press, Chinup, dip
B) Deadlift, row, bench

I just finished writing the 6week cycle with loads calculated. Should be great fun!

Last edited:
After reading Totentanz's thread about goal setting, and thinking really deeply about it, I have decided not to make any cutting goals just yet. I am not strong enough, nor big enough to do a long cut just yet. I may still do some cyclical cutting and bulking throughout the cycle, but overall I will be eating for mass gain, and working on my HST program.

I projected out my HST program, and it looks like in 4 HST cycles, of 7 week cycles including 1 week SD, if I gain 5 percent on my 5 rep maximum every cycle, then in 28 weeks ,or approx, on July 18th, 2013, I will have increased my strength to the following on every lift:

Leg Press: 650 lb.s x 5
Chinup: 265 lb.s x 5 (current bodyweigth+60 lb.s)
Dip: 315 lb.s x 5 (current bodyweight+110 lb.s)
Deadlift: 345 lb.s x 5
Cable Row: 220lb.s x 5
Bench press: 265lb.s x 5

So, this is just basically just aiming at strength increases, and I am still working on the dietary side of the goal spectrum, I want to plan that out carefully too as far as lean mass gains go.

Interestingly, that would put my 1rm for deadlift at 390 lb.s and my bench max at 300 lb.s, which seems realistic to me in 28 weeks time.

Last edited:
After reading Totentanz's thread about goal setting, and thinking really deeply about it, I have decided not to make any cutting goals just yet. I am not strong enough, nor big enough to do a long cut just yet. I may still do some cyclical cutting and bulking throughout the cycle, but overall I will be eating for mass gain, and working on my HST program.

I projected out my HST program, and it looks like in 4 HST cycles, of 7 week cycles including 1 week SD, if I gain 5 percent on my 5 rep maximum every cycle, then in 28 weeks ,or approx, on July 18th, 2013, I will have increased my strength to the following on every lift:

Leg Press: 650 lb.s x 5
Chinup: 265 lb.s x 5 (current bodyweigth+60 lb.s)
Dip: 315 lb.s x 5 (current bodyweight+110 lb.s)
Deadlift: 345 lb.s x 5
Cable Row: 220lb.s x 5
Bench press: 265lb.s x 5

So, this is just basically just aiming at strength increases, and I am still working on the dietary side of the goal spectrum, I want to plan that out carefully too as far as lean mass gains go.

Interestingly, that would put my 1rm for deadlift at 390 lb.s and my bench max at 300 lb.s, which seems realistic to me in 28 weeks time.

this would be some NICE progress Sci!

SCI if you hit your goals above along with proper nutrition (calorie surplus and protein) you will make GREAT progress!

Thanks guys.
I am doing an extended SD this cycle, since my last "comeback" cycle was mainly just linear progressive strength training for months on end, and my joints hurt by the end of it. I am on day 13 of my deconditioning, and I am starting to feel like a pile of mush! I haven't lost any size, but definitely feel deconditioned. I will start my new cycle next week, and I am really psyched to get back in the gym and pump some iron. Still no baby!:rolleyes:

I am going stir-crazy after 14 days SD of no gym, no lifting, and still no baby! Decided to start my cycle before the new year starts.

Leg press: 340 15+5+5+5

Chinups(asstd): 140 15+5+5+5

Dips(asstd): 160 15+5+5+5

As usual, the first day of the 15s was harder than I expected. The 15s always look really easy and light on paper, but after a good SD, they are hard, especially since I am skipping the first week of 15s. All loads were 90% of my 15rm, for one myo-reps set of 15 reps activation set plus 3 clusters of 5 reps. Workout was very brief, in and out of the gym in half-hour! Very cool. Also, I have to point out that as macho it feels to chain a plate to your waist and do weighted chins and dips during the 5s, it feels about as equally PANSY to be doing these on the assisted machine with all the girls during the 15s.:eek: Oh well, eventually I will be able to do the 15s with bodyweight, and that will be a cool goalpost too.

Also, I decided to put a measurable physique goal with my above strength goals. In four cycles, at about mid-july, I should be able to add a little over an inch on my arms with this routine, which would put me up near my genetic limit at 17 inch arms. :cool: I will probably have to gain about 15 lb.s to get there, which put me at bodyweight of 220 lb.s and would be the most I have ever weighed. Will only have to gain a little over a half-pound a week to get there, no problem.

This a great "simplify and win" abbreviated routine. (leg press/dips/chins) Almost everything is sore today...
quadriceps...check
hamstrings...check
glutes...check
pecs...check
lats...check
biceps/triceps/forearms...check.

The only bodyparts I am neglecting with these three exercises are lower back, calves, side delts and upper traps. However, I got my calves completely thrashed doing uphill jogging today for some cardio....my calves are sore as hell already. Delts and upper traps get plenty of work with the shoulder work I do at home..(lots of laterals, etc.) So as long as I keep doing uphill jogging, and dumbell laterals in addition to these "big 3" I should be hitting virtually all muscle groups with this abbreviated routine. Upper pecs are noticably less sore than lower pecs, but I will benching too on "B" day, which should hit them good. Also I will be doing rows and deadlifts on my "B" day, which will give me some more upper back/trap work as well as spinal erectors.

I see most people at the gym doing like 40 different exercises with half-assed energy, when if they just put all that effort into 3-6 core lifts, they would see much better results. I mean, my triceps and biceps are hammered after the dips and chins, and yet every day I'll see guys doing like 5-6 different isoaltions for these small muscles. Same with shoulder, it is sufficient to do some laterals or presses and be done with it, yet I see some guys doing like 10 exercises for the deltoids...what a waste of time.

SIMPLIFY and Grow.

This a great "simplify and win" abbreviated routine. (leg press/dips/chins) Almost everything is sore today...
quadriceps...check
hamstrings...check
glutes...check
pecs...check
lats...check
biceps/triceps/forearms...check.

The only bodyparts I am neglecting with these three exercises are lower back, calves, side delts and upper traps. However, I got my calves completely thrashed doing uphill jogging today for some cardio....my calves are sore as hell already. Delts and upper traps get plenty of work with the shoulder work I do at home..(lots of laterals, etc.) So as long as I keep doing uphill jogging, and dumbell laterals in addition to these "big 3" I should be hitting virtually all muscle groups with this abbreviated routine. Upper pecs are noticably less sore than lower pecs, but I will benching too on "B" day, which should hit them good. Also I will be doing rows and deadlifts on my "B" day, which will give me some more upper back/trap work as well as spinal erectors.

I see most people at the gym doing like 40 different exercises with half-assed energy, when if they just put all that effort into 3-6 core lifts, they would see much better results. I mean, my triceps and biceps are hammered after the dips and chins, and yet every day I'll see guys doing like 5-6 different isoaltions for these small muscles. Same with shoulder, it is sufficient to do some laterals or presses and be done with it, yet I see some guys doing like 10 exercises for the deltoids...what a waste of time.

SIMPLIFY and Grow.

Interesting...keep us posted on your arm growth...I have cut back on direct arm work and even dropped it some workouts and unfortunately my arms have gotten smaller. Large muscle groups haven't but arms have. For about 1 month for fun...I did nothing but Bodyweight squats/ chinups / and dips and it was a hell of a workout!

Jan 2, 2013

I scheduled a workout on dec 31, but gym closed early, so I did all six exercises today. Had to drop volume slightly though for chins and leg press, because rows and deadlifts wore my back and legs out first.

Cable Rows: 120x15+8+7 felt light.

Dips: 170x15+5+5+5

Chins: 150x10+5 felt heavy after rows, cut short of 30 reps.

Deadlift: 205x10+5 broke a hard sweat here.

Incline Press: 115x15, 125x12 115 was too easy, so I popped it up a notch.

Leg Press: 360x10+5 legs pretty shot after Deadlift, called it a day.

I moved very quickly through this workout, each "+" represents about a 20 second pause between reps. I managed to get the whole body worked in about 30 minutes! I think I may keep all the upper body exercises in every workout, while things are light anyway, and just do the deads with reduced frequency.
Rows seem to hit my back harder, while chins definitley hit the biceps harder. Also dips hit lower pecs and triceps hard, while incline bench much more targets front delts and upper pecs.
Rows and chins do have a lot of overlap though, as well as deads and leg press. Whichever movement I do secOnd, suffers from Pre-exhausted muscles.

Interesting...keep us posted on your arm growth...I have cut back on direct arm work and even dropped it some workouts and unfortunately my arms have gotten smaller. Large muscle groups haven't but arms have. For about 1 month for fun...I did nothing but Bodyweight squats/ chinups / and dips and it was a hell of a workout!

Everybody is different. I have a thin build and long limbs. Because of this my arms and thighs respond well to compounds, but my shoulder complex has always lagged (pecs, lats, delts). My arms are definitely my best body part and respond well to compounds. I have to really work to get my chest and lats to respond though. Some guys definitely grow better with arm isolations though, so keep doing them since they work for you.

Rows, chins and deads is too much for the back, at the volume you're currently aiming at (30 reps each). I would definitely select only one of chins or rows. They're essentially the same exercise, with minor difference re: middle-traps taking over some of the lat work when you're rowing (lats already being partially contracted at the starting position for rows).

What kind of chins?

Yeah, I agree Alex, that rows and chinups are way too similar. I think I may just stick with the chinups. (shoulder-width, underhand grip, for biceps.)

Rows and Chins are not very similar exercises in there common forms though they can be made more similar by varying the grip. Here are EMG measurements for both exercises showing very different levels of muscle fiber activation. The first number is the mean and the second peak.

Long Head of Biceps Lat Mid Trap Lower Trap
90 lb Chin Up 107.0 - 205.0 108.0 - 159.0 41.9 - 80.2 58.3 - 104.0

90 lb DB Bent Over Row 14.4 - 73.6 63.0 - 140.0 123.0 - 226.0 99.0 - 160.0

Taken from:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...de_the_muscles_best_back_and_biceps_exercises

I don’t have EMG measurements at hand but from what I’ve read and how my body has responded Deadlifts and Cleans are more similar to Rows than Chins, so based on that, if you only want to do two back exercises then yes Chins would better complement Deadlifts if you are Deadlifting every workout. However, if you are Deadlifting at all or say only once a week then doing some form or “horizontal” pulling movement is almost a necessity if you want to maximize upper back development. Not to mention balancing out the opposing muscles used for Benching which if not done can lead to shoulder problems especially with the overemphasis many lifters place on pushing exercises.

EDIT: I can't get the column titles to stay formatted.

Last edited:
Rows and Chins are not very similar exercises in there common forms though they can be made more similar by varying the grip. Here are EMG measurements for both exercises showing very different levels of muscle fiber activation. The first number is the mean and the second peak.

..............................................Long Head of Biceps.......Lat.................Mid Trap..........Lower Trap
90 lb Chin Up...........................107.0-205.0..................108.0-159.0.....41.9-80.2.........58.3-104.0
90 lb DB Bent Over Row............14.4-73.6.....................63.0-140.0......123.0-226.0......99.0-160.0

EDIT: I can't get the column titles to stay formatted.

I agree with Mr. Grunt that chins/pull-ups AND some form of row/clean/deadlift type movement work my entire back better than one OR t'other. If I was only doing one each session, I would alternate.

PS. I tried lining up the table too. Nightmare! Haha.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr. Grunt that chins/pull-ups AND some form of row/clean/deadlift type movement work my entire back better than one OR t'other. If I was only doing one each session, I would alternate.

PS. I tried lining up the table too. Nightmare! Haha.
Thanks for the fix lol, makes a bit more sense that way ;). And I too either do both every workout or at least alternate between them.

Good input. You know, the only thing that rows do better than chinup is hit the upper and lower back. Since chins work my lats and biceps better, and deadlifts work my upper and lower back better, probably best to just ditch rows and pair Deadlift with chinups to get the whole package.

Even better, since it's difficult to do deads with high frequency, I could Do chins every workout, and alternate deads with rows. This way traps and lower back are getting proper attention.

Last edited:
Good input. You know, the only thing that rows do better than chinup is hit the upper and lower back. Since chins work my lats and biceps better, and deadlifts work my upper and lower back better, probably best to just ditch rows and pair Deadlift with chinups to get the whole package.

Even better, since it's difficult to do deads with high frequency, I could Do chins every workout, and alternate deads with rows. This way traps and lower back are getting proper attention.

thats the problem with programming the deadlift. the lower back is here the weakest link and takes longer to recuperate.
I also did deads but now only hyperextensions.Also here: one set of 8-12 is enough. When I did hyperextensions with heavier weight some years ago one time per week was plenty for one set.

If somebody is burning for the deads its possible to just alternate the pulls:

1.session: Deadlift and Curl
2. session: Pull Up/chin up
3.session: Row. Depending how sore the back is, somebody can do: Barbell Row,Cable Row or chest supported row.
4. session: If still sore (anybody is different) Its possible to just do the chin up/pull up variaiton which was not done in the 2. session. Otherwise feel free to deadlift.

1/4/2013

Dips: 155x20, 167x10, 180x10
(the 155x20 was a mistake, I was using my chinup assisted load instead of dip, good warmup though!)

Deadlift: 285x5
(two other guys deadlifting, only 1 warmup set.)

Chins: 155x10+5+5+4

Leg Press: 380x10+8+6 (my strength-endurance sucks, I should be getting more straight reps, but pooped out.)

Shoulder assistance.
( I do these 4-5 times/ week)
Cable front laterals(crossing body to target supraspinitus):
10x10+7

Cable Rear Laterals: 10x10

Cable Rotations (adducted): 10x8

Back