I'm going to test my maxes next week and planning to use these exercises

Bench Press
Pec Flyes
Squats
Calf Raises
Triceps Curl
Bicep Curl
Shoulder Press

I will do 2 sets for each exercise throughout my cycle. I'm guessing I should test my maxes with the 2 sets as well?

Please critique so I don't start off on the wrong foot

rather than sticking with two sets i would stick with a certain number of reps between 15-25 depending on your preference. Id also take out the arm isolation exercises. Plus where are your bent over rows and pull ups?

Ok. I'll include the bent over rows too. What should I do in the place of arm isolation exercises though? Also, you mention 15-25 reps I'm guessing that you mean total reps for the exercise. Is that right?

You need to do a rowing movement and a chin-up movement.  If you can't do many chin-ups, use a lat pull-down machine which allows you to do the same motion with lighter than bodyweight.  During chin-ups hold the bar with an under-hand shoulder-width or closer grip and you will work your biceps as well as your lats...thus no need for curls.
During bench press and shoulder presses, works the triceps.  That is why style suggested you drop the arm isos.  And he is right, you need the rows and chin-ups.  A large portion of the upper body musculature is on the back, even if you can't see it as much.

And yes, style means total reps per exercise. A good example is 20 reps....that would be 2 sets of 10s, and during 5s it would be 4 sets.

I wonder where you got the number 20 from scientific, Im sure Iv heard it before......
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wonder where you got the number 20 from scientific, Im sure Iv heard it before......</div>
I think I remember it from Sesame Street before DKM brought it back to mind again?  
biggrin.gif

dave86: I think you will find that 20 reps during 5s (particularly the 2nd week) is pretty darn hard. Try to get 15 if you can. Even then you may have to cluster your reps by the time you get to your 5RM loads.

<div>
(style @ Sep. 17 2006,06:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wonder where you got the number 20 from scientific, Im sure Iv heard it before......
biggrin.gif
</div>
I thought that everyone knew that 20 was a &quot;magic number&quot; for hypertrophy
wink.gif
. Take the ratio of the first 2 prime numbers and multiply that number by the first three prime numbers. 2/3 * 2 * 3 * 5 = 20. Simple, and has as much scientific basis as most of what you'll read in the latest magazine about how to add 30 lbs of muscle in 30 days without trying hard (and no mention of how the guys in the pictures really got theirs).

Seriously, Dave, 20 is a good number, but not magic. The most popular scheme seems to be 1x15, 2x10, 3x5. That doesn't mean it will be best for you, just that a lot of people seem to like it. You might try that for starters and see. I'm using 20 now for the same reason as Scientific Muscle...it's suggested for use with Max-Stim (which is what style was referring to).

However, 20 in 5s and post 5s can be a lot, especially with 3x per week frequency. Like Lol, I'm thinking 15 might be a better target to start with (like the 3x5 above or however you can get 15).

I'll add the lat pulldowns cause I don't think I could do chin-ups (I'm that weak
laugh.gif
). I think for the reps I do the 1x15, 2x10, 3*5.

Thanks for replies by the way

Back