Setting up a plan for myself

Catalonia

should I just get maxxes for everything I do at the gym--then take 9 days off?

i'm still not totally sure how the program works.. is RM reps? how do you figure it all out? If I find out my 15 rm max then won't my 1 rm max be compromised due to weakness? (presuming I do the 15rm first).

I like the idea of doing 2 sets (instead of about 4 of everything, as I have been doing for some time with minimal results) of more exercises.

I'm mainly just confused about getting all this information and why it's so important. Why can't I just guess what's kind of hard and what I can do for around 10 times..

RM means rep max.

Find your 15RM on monday, your 10RM on wednesday and your 5RM on Friday.
Then take at least 9 days off doing no excersise at all. Maybe light Cardio but don't touch the weights.

Start at around 60% of your 5RM and add 5% weight from workout to workout. You might repeat each weight twice for not zigzagging to much.

Do a lot of compound excersies.

I hope that helped you a little.

Greets
Tom

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom kristensen @ Feb. 22 2004,4:23)]RM means rep max.
Find your 15RM on monday, your 10RM on wednesday and your 5RM on Friday.
Then take at least 9 days off doing no excersise at all. Maybe light Cardio but don't touch the weights.
Start at around 60% of your 5RM and add 5% weight from workout to workout. You might repeat each weight twice for not zigzagging to much.
Do a lot of compound excersies.
I hope that helped you a little.
Greets
Tom
what do you mean by "repeat each weight twice"? and what is zigzagging? and what does "RM" stand for?

thanks

E

also, when you say 60% of my 5rm, do you mean to do a set of 5 at 60% of the last checked 5rm weight?

For instance if I bench 120 lbs 5 times, then reduce it to 70 and do that 5 times? Or do 70 (or whatever the weight is) 15 times?

There is a topic in the FAQ about Zigzagging.

RM means rep max.
So 5RM means a weight that you can lift 5 times before you reach concentric failure.

60% of 5RM means 60% of the weight that you can lift 5 times.
For example can you lift 100kg 5 times in bench press. 60% of that would be 60kg. Start the cycle with these 60kg in the beginning of the 15's and end up with 100kg in the late 5's.
Use ~5% increments.

It's all in the faq.

Back