Should I use pro hormones???

Matt Proctor

Hi there,

I am 19 and Ive been training for about 18 months now made some average gains I suppose. I think my diet is good, well I definitly have enough protein but as for carbs and fat Im not quite sure. Well anyway recently I have been looking into using pro hormones to give me a boost, such as methyl dien etc. has anyone got any advice or anyone had any bad experiences? I am thinking of taking them in the 2nd week of my 10's is this correct? What cycle do you use? Is it 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off? I am currently around 180 lbs and 10-15 % bodyfat, hoping that this "boost" will improve my strength and size.

Appreciate the advice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt Proctor @ Oct. 15 2004,7:09)]Hi there,
I am 19 and Ive been training for about 18 months now made some average gains I suppose. I think my diet is good, well I definitly have enough protein but as for carbs and fat Im not quite sure.
You should keep training and honing your diet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well anyway recently I have been looking into using pro hormones to give me a boost, such as methyl dien etc.

At your age you should go no where near prohormones. They can mess you up for life. You shouldn't use prohormones or steroids until you're quite a few years older, fully physically matured, and more advanced in your training. Think about it this way, if you're having trouble making and maintaining regular gains, how are you going to maintain steroid gains? Steroids can't replace proper training and diet, only augment them.

Methyl dienelone is not a prohormone, it's an anabolic steroid that's legal for now because of loopholes in the laws. It's been known to have some progesterone related side effects. It's also extremely hepatoxic and not very effective at low doses which is a very, very bad combination. It means you have to take a lot to get anything out of it, and it's very dangerous to take a lot of that stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]has anyone got any advice or anyone had any bad experiences? I am thinking of taking them in the 2nd week of my 10's is this correct? What cycle do you use? Is it 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off? I am currently around 180 lbs and 10-15 % bodyfat, hoping that this "boost" will improve my strength and size.
Appreciate the advice!

Stay away from them. Definitely stay away from them. This from somebody who has used them, stay away from them until your much older and better trained. At your age if you're not growing you've either got the worst genetics in history, or the more likely answer is something's not right in your training/diet. Read up here and elsewhere, especially go the website www.exrx.net. It's a great site with good advice.

With proper training and diet you should be making good steady gains at your age. I'd ask, post your diet and your training routine here and let everyone give you some feedback. We'll get you growing in a good, maintainable way. The steroids won't help and could very well do irreversible damage, as the one time they're as dangerous as the government claims is when people who are still maturing physically and mentally take them.

Yeah don't do that stuff man. I'm almost 21 and was looking into it

Apparently some of your major bones don't stop growing until age 25, and using anabolics will prematurely stop bone growth.

I would say stay away from them as well. I too was thinking about doing a cycle of pro-hormones but realized it wasn't worth it for me to do so. When reading up on them I noticed that they can permanently cause the closure of growth plates in the body which could stunt any possible growth you may have left among other things. I'm 21 years old and figured I'd rather just play it on the safe side. Using HST and pinpointing my diet give very consistent results and the discovery of this site alone has helped me tremendously. Do some more reading and continue to train and you'll grow.

Cheers boys!

Yeah i'll stay clear then. Maybe someone can give me abit of advice on my training and my diet. Cheers!

Im 19 been training about a year, I currently have approx 200 grams of protein a day consisting on 4-5 protein shakes and 2 tins of tuna daily. Usually I would have some sort of meat chicken breast fillets, turkey fillets with veg for my tea (dinner). Not sure about carbs, immediately after my workout I slam down a carb dring (lucozade) and I get a protein shake as soon as I get home then about 30 mins later get a tin of tuna with a few slices of bread. Because I got told that you need protein and carbs 1 hour after your workout. Any suggestions? Is this correct? About 6 months ago I started my first HST cycle and did 2 full cycles. I found I made good gains however at the end of the 2nd cycle did not improve, therefore I thought I hit a plateau so I trained bodyparts for 4-6 weeks I found especially at the start it was deteriorating my gains in terms of weight. I actually went weaker than I were when I was doing my HST cycle, so never again. I have just finished my 1st cycle now and I will continue using HST, hopefully put 5 + cycles together and make some good gains. I am 180-190 ibs, my bench press is 6 reps on 90 kg (approx 200 lbs) stuck on this cannot seem to improve at all, my deadlift one rep max is 180 kg, and Squat 5 reps on 160 kg on the smith machine not free bar. In terms of my HST cycle I use two workouts, workout A consists of around 12-14 exercises, 1-2 a body part, I do alot of exercises because I want to stay strong for example I do Squats,deadlift, bench in both workouts. Will this inhibit me from making good gains? Also has anyone got any exercises for my neck? It looks really skinny! Appreciate the advice lads!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt Proctor @ Oct. 16 2004,8:17)]Yeah i'll stay clear then. Maybe someone can give me abit of advice on my training and my diet. Cheers!
Good choice, bro.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im 19 been training about a year, I currently have approx 200 grams of protein a day consisting on 4-5 protein shakes and 2 tins of tuna daily. Usually I would have some sort of meat chicken breast fillets, turkey fillets with veg for my tea (dinner). Not sure about carbs, immediately after my workout I slam down a carb dring (lucozade) and I get a protein shake as soon as I get home then about 30 mins later get a tin of tuna with a few slices of bread. Because I got told that you need protein and carbs 1 hour after your workout. Any suggestions?

Timing is important,but overall caloric intake is even more important. I've known some guys, and this is no kidding, who claimed they were getting adequate protein intake, but it tunrs out that protein was about all they were intaking, with few if any carbs. My advice would be to go the Articles section here and read the diet ones to make sure you're set up right and eating above maintainance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]About 6 months ago I started my first HST cycle and did 2 full cycles. I found I made good gains however at the end of the 2nd cycle did not improve, therefore I thought I hit a plateau so I trained bodyparts for 4-6 weeks I found especially at the start it was deteriorating my gains in terms of weight. I actually went weaker than I were when I was doing my HST cycle, so never again.

Strength gains will be slower on HST, just because it's designed to maximize hypertrophy and not strength. Strength has a lot to do with your central nervous system and neural adaptations to how muscle fibers are recruited. It might not be a bad idea to put a Strength Specific Training cycle at the end of your next HST cycle. There's a forum here that points out some of the principles of SST.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have just finished my 1st cycle now and I will continue using HST, hopefully put 5 + cycles together and make some good gains. I am 180-190 ibs, my bench press is 6 reps on 90 kg (approx 200 lbs) stuck on this cannot seem to improve at all, my deadlift one rep max is 180 kg, and Squat 5 reps on 160 kg on the smith machine not free bar. In terms of my HST cycle I use two workouts, workout A consists of around 12-14 exercises, 1-2 a body part, I do alot of exercises because I want to stay strong for example I do Squats,deadlift, bench in both workouts. Will this inhibit me from making good gains? Also has anyone got any exercises for my neck? It looks really skinny! Appreciate the advice lads!!!

Post the exercises, a lot of times you don't need a lot of exercises. It's best I find to stick with major lifts like Bryan suggests. The major compound lifts mobilize the most muscle mass and are more efficient.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt Proctor @ Oct. 16 2004,8:17)]Yeah i'll stay clear then. Maybe someone can give me abit of advice on my training and my diet. Cheers!
Good choice, bro.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im 19 been training about a year, I currently have approx 200 grams of protein a day consisting on 4-5 protein shakes and 2 tins of tuna daily. Usually I would have some sort of meat chicken breast fillets, turkey fillets with veg for my tea (dinner). Not sure about carbs, immediately after my workout I slam down a carb dring (lucozade) and I get a protein shake as soon as I get home then about 30 mins later get a tin of tuna with a few slices of bread. Because I got told that you need protein and carbs 1 hour after your workout. Any suggestions?

Timing is important,but overall caloric intake is even more important. I've known some guys, and this is no kidding, who claimed they were getting adequate protein intake, but it tunrs out that protein was about all they were intaking, with few if any carbs. My advice would be to go the Articles section here and read the diet ones to make sure you're set up right and eating above maintainance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]About 6 months ago I started my first HST cycle and did 2 full cycles. I found I made good gains however at the end of the 2nd cycle did not improve, therefore I thought I hit a plateau so I trained bodyparts for 4-6 weeks I found especially at the start it was deteriorating my gains in terms of weight. I actually went weaker than I were when I was doing my HST cycle, so never again.

Strength gains will be slower on HST, just because it's designed to maximize hypertrophy and not strength. Strength has a lot to do with your central nervous system and neural adaptations to how muscle fibers are recruited. It might not be a bad idea to put a Strength Specific Training cycle at the end of your next HST cycle. There's a forum here that points out some of the principles of SST.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have just finished my 1st cycle now and I will continue using HST, hopefully put 5 + cycles together and make some good gains. I am 180-190 ibs, my bench press is 6 reps on 90 kg (approx 200 lbs) stuck on this cannot seem to improve at all, my deadlift one rep max is 180 kg, and Squat 5 reps on 160 kg on the smith machine not free bar. In terms of my HST cycle I use two workouts, workout A consists of around 12-14 exercises, 1-2 a body part, I do alot of exercises because I want to stay strong for example I do Squats,deadlift, bench in both workouts. Will this inhibit me from making good gains? Also has anyone got any exercises for my neck? It looks really skinny! Appreciate the advice lads!!!

Post the exercises, a lot of times you don't need a lot of exercises. It's best I find to stick with major lifts like Bryan suggests. The major compound lifts mobilize the most muscle mass and are more efficient.

Back