Shoulder Press — Correct Form?

jeffw

For the shoulder press (on a Smith machine, if that matters), what is the correct form with regard to how far down you should go? Elbows parallel to the ground or further down? (Or doesn't it matter?)

ExRx shows the elbows going all the way down but the Execution description just says "Lower and repeat." Like, lower to where?

(Now I'm going parallel to the ground but would have to drop the weights somewhat to get much lower.)

depending if you do military press or neck press - military press id go all the way down, with neck press you should be carefull to avoid injuries on your shoulders....(it gets uncomfortable if you go to low)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]depending if you do <span style='color:red'>military press</span> or <span style='color:red'>neck press</span>
<span style='color:green'>Thanks</span> for the response, Nemesis7884, but now I'm a bit more confused.

If, by neck press, you mean this, I'm not doing that. (I'm not doing any behind-the-neck exercises.)

If, by military press, you mean this (shown with barbells, which I'm not doing), I don't think I'm doing that, either. (I'm not lifting my arms directly over my head, if that's any distinction.)

I'm doing a Smith shoulder press. Perhaps I'm a bit unclear as to the difference between a <span style='color:red'>military press</span> and a <span style='color:red'>shoulder press</span>. (ExRx lists them as two different exercises.) It seems, from your response, in any case, that I should go all the way down, given that a military press and shoulder press seem similar.

Apologies for being a little dense here...
blush.gif

Usually, whenever I see the term &quot;shoulder press&quot; it's done with dumbbells. If that helps the confusion any. :)

Shoulder press and military are the same, when using barbells. Dumbell usage is actually the true shoulder press. EXRX is good but sometimes lumps nomenclature together to simplify searches.

I personally stop at my chin, it seems to me that it hits the Anterior and Lateral Heads more than when I go down to clavicle. I think some even stop at their eyes or even top of their head to acheive hitting the shoulder and not the traps or clavicle pecs. Please don't think I am right, this is just what I do, and may not be the best form.

I would IM Kate and ask her she seems to be the form GURU, and she is a pretty sharp cookie.
worship.gif

<span style='color:006600'>Thanks</span> for the replies, Scott S and dkm1987 and for clarifying the &quot;shoulder press/military press&quot; nomenclature mystery.

In this instance, as I mentioned, ExRx lists these two as separate exercises under Barbells (in fact, &quot;shoulder press&quot; was added as <span style='color:red'>new</span> under Barbells in May) so, while ExRx might, in fact, &quot;lump nomenclature together to simplify searches,&quot; in this case, it seems to be doing the opposite—separating nomenclature out and making some sort of distinction.

<span style='color:purple'>So</span>, I just now, emailed ExRx and inquired to see what someone there thinks is the difference, if any, between a military press and a shoulder press. As you are, no doubt, poised on the edge of your seats, I shall keep you apprised instantly, when (or, perhaps, more accurately, if) I get a response.

But, in the meantime, I'll try going lower down (man, if I could even get to my chin, I'd be happy, dkm1987!) and see where it &quot;hits&quot; me.

And, as for IM-ing Kate, that's a great suggestion as she is, indeed, the <span style='color:FF5F00'>Oracle of Form</span>. But I had IM-ed her a few weeks back with a different form question and did not want to run the risk of &quot;monopolizing&quot; her &quot;by IM.&quot; (We all want Kate as our personal &quot;form consultant&quot; but, alas, we have to share.)

:D After an ego boost like that I'm going to ignore this post?
laugh.gif
You guys seem to know how to get what you want
tounge.gif
Besides &quot;Oracle of Form&quot; is way cooler than &quot;crazy old lady&quot;...

Anyway, I am headed off to work shortly, so will take some time to think about this. Shoulders are such a tricky matter...

I'll be back!
Kate

&lt;Ha, dkm1987. <span style='color:009900'>that</span> worked!&gt; ;)<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>*</span>

Awaiting your always-helpful, much-appreciated reply, Kate! <span style='color:9900b4'>Thanks!</span>

JeffW

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>*</span>Just kidding. We meant it.
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jeffw @ July 14 2004,6:53)]&lt;Ha, dkm1987. <span style='color:009900'>that</span> worked!&gt; ;)<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>*</span>
Awaiting your always-helpful, much-appreciated reply, Kate! <span style='color:9900b4'>Thanks!</span>
JeffW
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>*</span>Just kidding. We meant it.
worship.gif
lol you sure like using your colors don't you :)

<span style='color:006600'>H</span><span style='color:99be30'>u</span><span style='color:a08f00'>h</span><span style='color:6600FF'>?</span> <span style='color:910092'>W</span><span style='color:c400a3'>h</span><span style='color:e669e4'>a</span><span style='color:2627b6'>t</span> <span style='color:ff4000'>m</span><span style='color:FF6622'>a</span><span style='color:f89300'>k</span><span style='color:ff5064'>e</span><span style='color:ff8746'>s</span> <span style='color:ff9e01'>y</span><span style='color:ff6971'>o</span><span style='color:DD0055'>u</span> <span style='color:0000ff'>s</span><span style='color:00878c'>a</span><span style='color:00781d'>y</span> <span style='color:ff1212'>t</span><span style='color:ff4566'>h</span><span style='color:e93488'>a</span><span style='color:cb342c'>t</span><span style='color:e90ef1'>?</span> ;)

Well, I'll use colors for <span style='color:0000ff'>e</span><span style='color:00878c'>m</span><span style='color:00781d'>p</span><span style='color:0000ff'>h</span><span style='color:00878c'>a</span><span style='color:00781d'>s</span><span style='color:0000ff'>i</span><span style='color:00878c'>s</span> and, yeah, they <span style='color:DD0055'>j</span><span style='color:DD0055'>a</span><span style='color:ff4000'>z</span><span style='color:DD0055'>z</span> up the post a bit.

At least you're LOL! :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jeffw @ July 14 2004,5:53)]&lt;Ha, dkm1987. <span style='color:009900'>that</span> worked!&gt; ;)<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>*</span>
JeffW
worship.gif
I'm glad I could help, if I knew how to post in the vibrant color display I would but alas, I knoweth not.
thumbs-up.gif

Back