Slight incline bench question.

jkismul

Hey,
I just wanted to know if the reason Bryan advocates a slight incline on the bench is to avoid the arching of the back?

Are there other reasons as well? If so, what?

How much of an incline would suffice?

(I tried searching..)
Thanks

I use it, simply, because it gives me slightly more balance and I'm able to handle more weight. Hammer Strength's Incline press..is EXTREMELY slight...around 10-15 degrees.

ILIP-H.jpg

Refer to a previous post made by me, titled, "the sternal/clavicular debate". You will find some valued information in there...

I, too, use only 10-15 degree angle when I do inclines. It seems to put less strain on my shoulders and tric, and it must load the muscle differently from flat as I can handle more weight in dip/decline afterwards compared to flat. When doing incline/decline I get a much better pump too.

OK. I'm currently at about 45-60 degrees I think.
I train in a power-rack woth an incline/decline bench. many intervals, so 10 degrees shouldn't be a problem.
I'll go with that in my next cycle, I guess. Then I can add weight :)

Thanks guys

When you get that high you're half way between bench press and military press, so...guess which muscles are worked. And the closer you get to 90 degrees, the more stress you put on shoulders et al.

Back