sore throat - damn...

jmm

Crappy workout yesterday, then woke up this morning and it hurt like hell when I swallowed. Insert appropriate expletive. Will probably have to miss tomorrow's workout (not feeling at my brightest) and a sore throat really don't help with bulking
sad.gif

Anyway, got lots of nice fatty, high calorie meats in, to have as stew or soup, and will see how much food (and protein shakes) I can get down that way... Of all the annoying bugs to pick up
wow.gif

If you let a sore throat prevent you from working out, you will miss too many days IMO. If more cold symptoms develop such as fever, nausea, coughing, runny/stuffy nose, then I would take some days off, but not just for a sore throat.

I find that slippery elm lozenges work well for many types of sore throat. Boxes of the Thayer's lozenges are available at many stores.

I'm with need2eat on this- zinc is GREAT for preventing a cold from getting worse- start taking the lozenges at the first sign of a cold.

Slippery elm is great too, as Ruthenian says- they offer fantastic sore throiat relief (which zinc lozenges don't do- they just keep the cold from progressing).

thanks for the suggestions re. lozenges - will have a look at the chemist.

Colby, unfortunately I've got the temperature and runny nose as well - the 15mins walk to town left me tired
sad.gif
Will see how I feel tomorrow, though (the next time I'm due to workout) - hopefully one of these 24hr things...

On a regular day, 500mg vitamin C is okay, but when sick you'll want to double that and it will help you feel better. I've been sick for two weeks now and haven't missed any workouts, but I have cheated a bit with yohimbe and a B-complex for energy and the C twice a day. Whatever it takes. No change in diet, save for maybe less carbs on a couple days, but didn't realize I was doing it, and lost weight.

damn, you guys make me feel like a wimp - sitting here feeling miserable and shivering, and working out really don't appeal. I figure if I get to the gym tomorrow, I'll still have made 3 workouts this week...

n2e- re. zinc lozenges, my understanding as that sucking most anything (OK, most any hard sweet...) could help a sore throat by moisturising it - maybe this was what happened?

Quad's onto something, when I get the slightest indication of a cold I take 6 - 8 g of vitamin C until the symptoms subside, it works and the usual thing I end up with just a sniffle.

The throat lozenges are good, there are some sprays with Chloramphenicol which will help kill some of the bacteria use them, inexpensive and useful.

Trust me, bacteria are my life
wink.gif
I'm a microbiologist!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">n2e- re. zinc lozenges, my understanding as that sucking most anything (OK, most any hard sweet...) could help a sore throat by moisturising it - maybe this was what happened?</div>

I'll chime in here, as I've ha d a very recent , first-time exprience with zinc lozenges. I'm sure the moisturizing effect has something to do with it, but it's not just that- it's the zinc. I've never had a cough drop or hard candy magically stop a developing cold in its tracks, which is what the zinc lozenges seemed to do.

BTW, I was talking with a bunch of friends last night about these, and the ones who had tried zinc (not just as lozenges but also as spray (Zicam, for example) had the same experience. Sounds pretty miraculous, but this stuff really seems to work. Some others were swearing by Airborne too- that's the stuff they recommend for cold prophylaxis on plane travel.

Feel better!!!

Jake

You are onto something too, Zinc works with the antibodies and the whole immune system by strengthening it.

Heck...why do we even need a doctor, get the help from HST pronto!
biggrin.gif

Jokes aside, these are real life cures for colds and some flu types, they really work!

As for feeling wimpy over not being able to work out...
Don't. There are over 100,000 cold/flu viruses out there and they all have different combinations of effects, even muddying the ground between &quot;cold&quot; and &quot;flu&quot; - sometimes you can tough it out and sometimes it's just a no go.
What counts is that you TRIED.

Too late to avert it this time, but as soon as my wife feels something coming on she drinks a sh-t load of water. Like everything, it is not 100%, but I have had some success with heading things off this way. Seems to help your body respond.

FYI- just happened across in a lit search for something else:

Authors McElroy BH. Miller SP.

Title An open-label, single-center, phase IV clinical study of the effectiveness of zinc gluconate glycine lozenges (Cold-Eeze) in reducing the duration and symptoms of the common cold in school-aged subjects.

Source American Journal of Therapeutics. 10(5):324-9, 2003 Sep-Oct.

Abstract Each year, more than 62 million cases of the common cold in the United States require medical attention and more than 80% affect school-aged children. The objective of this prospective, intent-to-treat, phase IV study was to determine the therapeutic and prophylactic effectiveness of zinc gluconate glycine lozenges (Cold-Eeze) for the common cold. Zinc lozenges were administered once daily during the cold season for prophylaxis. For therapeutic purposes, lozenges were given 4 times per day. The primary objective of the study was the treatment effect on cold duration, and the secondary objective was the effect on the number of common colds. A putative control from our previous study was used for comparison. A total of 178 children, ages 12 to 18 years, was enrolled, of which 134 met criteria for efficacy analysis. The average cold duration with therapeutic lozenge use was 6.9 +/- 3.1 days, significantly shorter than the 9.0 +/- 3.5 days found in the control group (P &lt; 0.001). The mean number of colds was 1.28 +/- 1.03 with zinc lozenge prophylaxis versus 1.7 +/- 1.91 without prophylaxis (P &lt; 0.05), a 25% reduction. With prophylaxis, 25% of the subjects did not experience a cold and two-thirds never had a cold or only had 1 cold. There was no antibiotic use for any cold, and there were no adverse events reported. Results of this study are consistent with those from our previous retrospective study showing significantly shorter cold duration and fewer colds with the use of zinc gluconate glycine lozenges. The zinc gluconate glycine lozenges are well tolerated and are an easy-to-administer therapy that has the potential to substantially reduce cold-related school absences and antibiotic use and misuse as well as to provide a cost saving.

thanks - I must admit I was dubious about the zinc having such a quick effect. Apparently though it may work by blocking the action of the cold in your sinuses, instead of helping to address a defficiency - hence the quick action.

Sadly, didn't get dramatic results with it
sad.gif
12 hours sleep, though, and I've only got a bit of a temperature - should be able to get my 3rd workout of the week in today or tomorrow
biggrin.gif
Hm, any reason not to dose myself with paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin/decongestant b4 heading for the gym...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Hm, any reason not to dose myself with paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin/decongestant b4 heading for the gym...</div>

None at all- just stay away from the antihistamines if they make you drowsy.

sound. just realised I'm taking pseudoephedrine as a decongestant - is that the same stuff that some folk use to lose weight?

You're thinking of ephedrine, but they are pharmacologically related. Many people don't buzz on pseudoephedrine like they do on ephedrine, but there are exceptions to that rule for sure. 15mg of pseudoephedrine keeps my wife up all freaking night, even if she takes it at 9am.

Back