Starting School and Starting Strength

Milkman

I've recently finished two cycles of Korte's 3x3 and I had started a third cycle, but have felt so wiped out lately that I stopped after only 4 workouts. With school starting back, not only am I busier (college student) but my job has gotten a lot harder (I work for a milk company and school milk makes up a lot of our total product). Lately, I've been thinking about switching to a more radical, infrequent training scheme. More specifically, one full body workout once a week. I'm thinking of starting out with 8x5 with the Big 3 (a la Korte's 3x3), increasing the weight linearly (5 lbs for squat and deadlift, 2.5 lbs for bench), then switching to 5x5 when I stall, then 3x5, then ramping up to a single set of 5. I'd really like to hear some suggestions or opinions, especially on infrequent workouts.

This evening was my first workout in this experiment. Deadlifts felt okay, and bench press felt really light, however something odd happened during squats. On my sixth and seventh sets, I felt like I was going to pass out; which is a really bad feeling with a barbell on my shoulders. I took an additional two minutes rest for my last set and felt fine. Other than that, my workout went well with no noticeable loss of strength. I'll probably add in some cardio sometime before my next workout and see if that helps.

So much for writing about my experience with infrequent lifting... I hurt my back during squats today; I have a history of back problems. C'est la vie!

I always appreciate anyone who has suffered through the Korte 3x3 program. I was much helped by the one cycle that I did as a very new lifter, but I don't really want to do it again...!

Watch your back.

Back