Starting the HST routine...

I

imported_double e

I am coming off of using a standard 4 -5 day split for about 2 years and am interesting in the HST routine. I have a couple questions if anyone can answer, it would be greatly appreciated:
"The whole workout can be split into a morning and afternoon session. It can likewise be doubled, performing the same workout morning and evening. Keeping volume (number of sets and exercises) low is critical if doubling the workout. "
Does anyone double their workout? Doubling the workout would basically be doing half the sets in each session per day? ( I noticed Blade's post in the FAQ forum about the split but not sure about doubling the workout)
Also:
"HST suggests that you use 2 week blocks for each rep range. Why? It has nothing to do with adaptation. It is simply a way to accommodate the ever increasing load. Of course, you could adjust your reps every week (e.g. 15,12,10,8,5,etc), but this is more complicated and people might not understand. Often times, in order to communicate an idea you must simplify things, even at the expense of perfection. If people can't understand it, they won't do it. What good would that do or anybody? Then, over time, people figure out for themselves the other possibilities that exist within the principles of hypertrophy"
Does anyone do the workout in a 1 week block? It seems to me that they are implying the 1 week block is better. How would this work?
LASTLY:
If I am in a current routine, do I need a week off before starting HST?
Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (double e @ May 24 2004,4:26)]Does anyone double their workout? Doubling the workout would basically be doing half the sets in each session per day? ( I noticed Blade's post in the FAQ forum about the split but not sure about doubling the workout)

Does anyone do the workout in a 1 week block? It seems to me that they are implying the 1 week block is better. How would this work?
LASTLY:
If I am in a current routine, do I need a week off before starting HST?
Thanks!
I don't know anyone who has actually doubled the HST workout. I know some who do the AM/PM split, but nobody who doubles it. If you DID decide to try that, you'd certainly want to pick your exercises very carefully.

Regarding 1-week blocks, I haven't done that personally, but I know some who have more evenly decreased reps, and it seem to work for them. Finding your maxes takes more time, of course, since you have 6 different RMs to deal with, but doing a 15-13-11-9-7-5 progression could work fine.

And yes, you absolutely need time off fully decondition before starting HST. Time off sucks, but it's part of the deal. 9-14 days is the norm, if I recall. I did 7 days last. Up to you. More can weigh in on this.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I luckily have some time this summer to be able to do the double workout am/pm, but just want to do it right.

If anyone can add imput, please do.

Back