Straight Legged vs regular Dead lifts

Matador1

I love deadlifts and squats, call me sadistic, wahtever. Nothing feels better than fininshing a set and almost puking or having to immediately sit down to keep from falling on the lady doing some variation of a lateral raise with a 3 lb DB.

Anyway back to the question. I was always told that regular deads are mainly for lower back training, which you can feel if you lock out and do them properly. Straight leg for hams, same thing, done correctly, nothing stretches em like STDL's. While surfing ExRx, I noticed they didn't list deads as back exercises, what gives? Am I wrong that deads should be the backbone (pun intended) of any good back building program?

And yes, I am doing them both with HST, overkill, maybe, but I like it.

I'll just refer to my bible, The Insider's Tell-All Handbook On Weight Training Technique:
* Deadslifts: erectors, glutes, front and rear thighs, lats, upper back, forearms
* SLDLs: erectors, hamstrings, thigh adductors, glutes, lats, upper back, forearms

Hope that answers your question ;) Remember that you actually have to use your lower back a lot more when doing SLDLs than regular deads, so I would assume that there is a greater pull from both main muscles connected to your hips - the lower back and the glutes/hams.

Fellow lifters, I also follow the teachings of Stuart McRobert and agree with his discription of the dead lift and it's many forms.I just started training with a Shrug Bar for bldl's, this is one great tool and I would advise if you like to dead lift you will be in ecstasy utilizing this bar.Regards Rob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lars @ July 21 2004,6:56)]I'll just refer to my bible, The Insider's Tell-All Handbook On Weight Training Technique:
How do you like that book? I should be getting it in the mail in about a week.

I love it. It has the most indepth description of the most common (and some uncommon) exercises around. In addition, it uses a model that actually looks human
tounge.gif

There are two writers I always seem to end up going back to: Stuart McRobert and Tudor Bompa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lars @ July 21 2004,4:14)]I love it. It has the most indepth description of the most common (and some uncommon) exercises around. In addition, it uses a model that actually looks human
tounge.gif

There are two writers I always seem to end up going back to: Stuart McRobert and Tudor Bompa.
Cool...McRobert is a very smart man, reading Beyond Brawn twice really changed everything I though about lifting.

Back