Sucralose approved in Norway - Bryan

Blade

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are ready to begin importing HSN to Norway. I've sent you a couple of e-mails, but no response - so I hope you check the forum once in a while.

Contact me at [email protected]

Regards,

Blade

Hope they approve sucralose in Japan some day soon. They`re notroiously slow at approving such things.

I firmly believe Bryan's products (HSN) are top notch and of the highest quality. I can't use them due to the ingredient sucralose. This product caused me to get severe heart burn and made me dizzy. I looked into sucralose and found that the sweetness comes from a chlorocarbon chemical.
Prior to using sucralose, I was using aspartame. This artifical sweetener should be banned in my opinion. While working, I had severe vertigo. I was transported to the hospital and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. I eliminated aspartame and haven't had any symptoms since. Aspartame also made my mother dizzy.
I am going to try stevia as a sweetner.

Wow dstan- O thought I had it thought because I have the "bitter gene" (aspartame and other artificial sweeteners taste unbearably bitter to me). Given your bad reaction, is there any chance you have phenylketonuria (PKU)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dstan @ Mar. 21 2005,3:44)]Prior to using sucralose, I was using aspartame. This artifical sweetener should be banned in my opinion.
So becuase you have a reaction to something, it should be banned.?

better get rid of all food then, and all medicines

Let me elaborate on my point. In the relm of medication, there are warnings. The consumer is given potential side effects, a guideline of what not to consume or to consume with the medication, and the proper dosage.
With food, the consumer is aware of what he/she is eating. All in this board make conscious decisions on what we will consume. We are aware of potential side effects of various foods. We learned these effects through various studies.
With that in mind, you and I can make the decision whether to consume the product or not. We are what I would deem an "informed consumer."
I believe the consumer should be aware of the potential side effects with artifical sweeteners. If he/she chooses to consume them after notice is given, then the burden and blame falls on the consumer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe the consumer should be aware of the potential side effects with artifical sweeteners. If he/she chooses to consume them after notice is given, then the burden and blame falls on the consumer.

I apologize for the incoherent post I made earlier- blame it on a weird network connection (the edits I made weren't sent).

Anyway, there are warnings about aspartame re: PKU- this is a well-known problem due to the phenylanine in the sweetener- and is printed in boldface on the Nutrition Facts label (or elsewhere on the container). None exist for sucralose, or at least I've never seen any. However, there are apparently a number of spontaneous reports of adverse reactions. I don't know if any have been validated, though, so it's hard to tell if these were really a sucralose-induced.

Jake,
I appreciate the info on PKU. The incident I had with aspartame occurred five years ago. I don't recall reading any warnings on the box back then. When did they start posting this warning?
I went through a year of numerous tests. The tests ranged from two MRIs checking for tumors in my brain, MS test, blood tests, and hearing tests checking for Meniere's disease. All of which proved nothing. I eliminated aspartame and the vertigo stopped.
As for sucralose, this substance caused me severe bloating and heart burn. I spoke to a friend and he stated when he consumed sucralose with in two hours he had abdominal pain and diarrhea.

I think the warnings were put on when asparatame first hit the market, as far as I know, but I might be wrong. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with stevia- there's a whole lot about the politics of it (like pressure on the FDA from the sugar lobby) that's very interesting to follow. Somehow, I have a hard time believing that it's all *that* bad, given that it's been used in parts of Central and South America for millenia, but I'd still like to see it tested in a trial. Unfortunately, there's a lot of resistance about that too.

[but i'd still like to see it tested in a trial]

Amen to that. Let me the consumer know of potential side effects. Lets just say artificial sweetners has left a not so sweet tatste in my mouth.
laugh.gif

Do you have any other suggestions outside of stevia?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dstan @ Mar. 22 2005,4:10)]Let me elaborate on my point. In the relm of medication, there are warnings. The consumer is given potential side effects, a guideline of what not to consume or to consume with the medication, and the proper dosage.
With food, the consumer is aware of what he/she is eating. All in this board make conscious decisions on what we will consume. We are aware of potential side effects of various foods. We learned these effects through various studies.
They have warnings on the side of all dairy, all peanuts, all wheat products, corn, soy, etc??? they do not. The only way a person knows whether to avoid a product or not is personal experience.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
With that in mind, you and I can make the decision whether to consume the product or not. We are what I would deem an "informed consumer."
I believe the consumer should be aware of the potential side effects with artifical sweeteners. If he/she chooses to consume them after notice is given, then the burden and blame falls on the consumer.
yeah right. There is no warnings on the side of any artificial sweetners, and until research actually shows a measureable effect from them, there never will be. It would be like removing peanuts from the food system because some people are allergic and/or have died from them. It doesnt happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no warnings on the side of any artificial sweetners

I agree with your sentiments, Aaron, but a quick point to the contrary of the above. Perhaps it's different in the UK, but I'm looking at a packet (not just a box, but an individual serving packet) of Equal, a brand of sweetener containing Aspartame (with dextrose and maltodextrin). In boldface upper-case type is printed: PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

You have my curiosity up- What are the warnings (if any) outside the US?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ Mar. 22 2005,10:13)]In boldface upper-case type is printed: PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.
You have my curiosity up- What are the warnings (if any) outside the US?
Same warning here on my low cal yogurt in the USA.

Last summer I increased my protein supplement servings from about 2-3 per day to about 4 per day and after a few weeks began experiencing extremely painful headaches during working out. These headaches were the worst I'd ever had in my life and would come right in the middle of a set and force me to stop working out. After trying a number of different things, I accidentally stumbled across a topic at the Avant Labs forum entitled aspartame headaches I think. I switched to a protein powder flavored with stevia rather than aspartame and within a couple days the headaches were gone. Now I don't use anything with aspartame in it regularly, except for the occasional diet drink. I hate that stuff and I'm lucky to have found out it was what was causing those horrible headaches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ Mar. 23 2005,4:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no warnings on the side of any artificial sweetners
I agree with your sentiments, Aaron, but a quick point to the contrary of the above.
if you read the context of what is written, it was not in relation to phenylketonuria, but other 'claimed' effects of aspartame. PKU is not specific to aspartame, but any source of phenylalanine in the diet.

Back