Sugar and dieting ??

Iron freak

Hi .As Iam dieting right now Iam taking in very low fat .The question is I know sugar will turn into fat .So now I must controll the amount of sugar intake I consume . So how many Grams a day should I take in that would not mess up my diet ?? And when I say watch my sugars Im talking about Juices and fruits ect,ect .I'll give my stats just incase it would help answer the question .5''11 219 around 22%BF .Thanks Jason

Weight loss is simply a function of burning more calories than you consume. You could get cut on jelly donuts if you wanted. If you aren't counting calories I would strongly suggest you do so.
Reasons to not include sugar in your diet would be because sugar does not satisfy appetite very well, and it is poor from a nutritional standpoint (i.e. micronutrients).
I'd also like to point out that fat should not purposely be kept low on a diet - this will negatively impact your testosterone level, which is usefull in sustaining muscle mass. Fat in and of itself will not make you fat. Think calories.

Thanks King and good hearing from you again .I guess my problem is Iam listening to this guy at the gym .He is around 65 years old 185ibs with about 7-9%BF ALL year long .This guy also trains guys to go into BB Shows .Every guy he trains always comes in 1st or 2nd place in the shows .And he was telling me that I should not drink Orange juice or eat sunflower seeds ,Olive oil ect,ect and that fat is fat no matter what it is .He also said I could eat as much as I wanted as long as it was "fat free"and low in sugars .My diet has been mostly tuna sandwhiches and I have been drinking jucies (only OJ) eating seeds for a snack at night .Anyways I got to thinking after talking with this guy is Orange jucie bad because of the sugar and should I not use olive oils ,nuts ,and seeds because of the fat .Im rying to keep around 1,800 cals a day with the tuna ,wheat breads nuts,and seeds ect...But after talking to this guy Iam all mixed up .....Jason

Also Im not looking for a fast fix on this diet .I only want to do it right ..A pound or two a week would be great Ive got along time before summer .Im at around 219 now my goal is 185...I just want to go about this te right way ..I thought olive oils and stuff like that was all ok :confused: Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Iron freak @ Nov. 20 2003,1:58)]Thanks King and good hearing from you again .I guess my problem is Iam listening to this guy at the gym .He is around 65 years old 185ibs with about 7-9%BF ALL year long .This guy also trains guys to go into BB Shows .Every guy he trains always comes in 1st or 2nd place in the shows .And he was telling me that I should not drink Orange juice or eat sunflower seeds ,Olive oil ect,ect and that fat is fat no matter what it is .He also said I could eat as much as I wanted as long as it was "fat free"and low in sugars .My diet has been mostly tuna sandwhiches and I have been drinking jucies (only OJ) eating seeds for a snack at night .Anyways I got to thinking after talking with this guy is Orange jucie bad because of the sugar and should I not use olive oils ,nuts ,and seeds because of the fat .Im rying to keep around 1,800 cals a day with the tuna ,wheat breads nuts,and seeds ect...But after talking to this guy Iam all mixed up .....Jason
that guy should be glad he has good genetics, with nutritional knowlege like that...
think about total calories, and getting them from good, natural foods.

and things like olive oil will help your heart and satiety too.

spartacus is right. Olive oil and nuts are excellent sources of monounsaturated fat, those are up there with the fats that are typically recommended to BB's (along with fish/flax oil) Guy must be blessed. I am commenting on your post when you said that you only try and eat 1800 calories. that seems a little low considering your stats. Dont know if you've ever used any of those formulas, but some really are quite amazing as to how many calories you burn a day w/ activities etc. factored in. I'm sure you know this but if cal too low then you will lose fat, but also lose quite a bit of LBM and that is unacceptable to me. Total calories in versus out acting as the main factor to weight loss is a concept i'm getting used to around this board believe me...ive read berardi and his macronutrient combos and all that stuff, but from what everyone says here its just cal in/cal out. So having said that just count them and you should be fine.

Make fat and protein you first priority. Then factor in carbs. You don't want insulin levels high because it will inhibit lipolysis. So if you do consume carbs (bread, oats, etc), I would say morning, before training, after training. Don't forget to eat your veggies.

If 'carbs' were the main factor in fat loss, you think that bbrs in the 80's and early 90s wouldnt have lost fat at all on their high carbohydrate diets...

its calories

Muscle loss is determined by BF percentage (the major component), protein intake and overall calorie reduction. Not sugar/carbohydrate intake.

Back