Supplementation when training twice per day.

Ruhl

When I used to train once every day I would take a certain amount of protein and creatine with each workout.

Now that I'm training twice per day every second day, do I:

1) Take the same amount of protein and creatine with each workout or do I take less?

and

2) Do I supplement on my off days?

Dear Ruhl,

Protein supplementation is a question of meeting your calorie needs. If on your off days, you do not take your protein drinks, are you eating more solid food protein (eg meat, eggs etc) to make up for it? If so, then you can drop the protein drinks on off days. This is assuming that you are having six small meals on off days.

As for the creatine, 3-5 grams a day will suffice. Divide this amount (half a flat teaspoon 2x a day or so...?) and take it with your meals.

As for training days, can I ask what your split program might be? I do a full body workout three times a week, and to split it up into any more would be a real hassle. Still, on your training days, just make sure you get your target calories and if in doubt, have an extra (7th) meal of the day.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

I think your best bet with the creatine is to maintain the same daily dosage, but to split the dosage and take it with your pre-workout supp. Creatine uptake into muscles is enhanced by the workout, so you want to take it then. . . Also, if a few of your exercises hit different muscles, you'll ensure they get their fair shot of creatine.

But, training twice a day and needing to take protein and creatine before and after each workout, I need to split it four-fold. Do I do this or do I take a normal dosage with each workout, meaning since I have two workouts a day, I would be taking twice as much as if I only trained once a day?

Pre-workout. That's twice/day on your workout days. And since exercise depletes creatine stores, you may compensate by taking 2 x 3-5g on workout days.

Back