Teenagers & Squats

FireFighter

Hey guys...need a little help

My 14 yo is going to start JV football this fall and has asked me for advise. Back when I was that age it was all pyramids and of course as time has evolved I found HST. Unfortunately he's not into the idea of HST. So I thought maybe a 5x5 routine or something.

Anyways....I had heard back awhile ago that they were saying that squats were bad for teenagers due to the weight being placed on their shoulders and pushing down on the spine.

Anyone else heard of this?

Also...anyone have a possible 5x5 routine or anything else that would be good for someone in his position.

Thanks

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unfortunately he's not into the idea of HST</div> - set him straight! What does he know anyway, he's only just finished using diapers
laugh.gif

If done PROPERLY, the squat is not bad for any healthy person.

As a former footbal player I say to you:

Buy the book called &quot;Starting Strength.&quot;
First you read it.
Then let your son read it.
Then maybe buy the coach a copy.

you can get it here:

http://www.aasgaardco.com/index.html

I wish I had this book when I was 14.

Pierre

thanks....

and have you ever tried to beat an idea into the head of a 14 year old...sometimes I'm not sure how I restrain from strangling him.

thanks again

<div>
(FireFighter @ Jun. 01 2006,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">have you ever tried to beat an idea into the head of a 14 year old</div>
Well the law suggests you don't - but a stick may help
laugh.gif

<div>
(FireFighter @ Jun. 01 2006,05:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks....

and have you ever tried to beat an idea into the head of a 14 year old...sometimes I'm not sure how I restrain from strangling him.

thanks again</div>
I´ll let you know in 9 years!

The book is worth 10x its weight in gold.

You MUST buy starting strength. It is the best book I have ever read about how to coach the major lifts properly. I tell every person who weight trains that they must have this book. Good luck.

<div>
(berserk @ Jun. 02 2006,03:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What year was Starting Strenght written?</div>
WHY?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

<div>
(berserk @ Jun. 02 2006,08:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What year was Starting Strenght written?</div>

The co-author of Starting Strength, Lon Kilgore, is releasing a book called &quot;Practical Periodization.&quot; It will cover how to institute dual factor training to keep your gains coming as long as possible. It comes out in August. I cant wait!

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jun. 02 2006,20:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(berserk @ Jun. 02 2006,03:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What year was Starting Strenght written?</div>
WHY?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
</div>
The reason I asked was simply because if it was written a long time ago I may not have much faith in the contents. But thanks to Dave H for informing me of its 2005 origins - which most likely means it's up to date with the current research on safe lifting , etc 
smile.gif

<div>
(berserk @ Jun. 04 2006,05:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ Jun. 02 2006,20:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
WHY?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
</div>
The reason I asked was simply because if it was written a long time ago I may not have much faith in the contents. But thanks to Dave H for informing me of its 2005 origins - which most likely means it's up to date with the current research on safe lifting , etc 
smile.gif
</div>
it is basically a physics book and there are certain principles of physics which never change. Its contents are in fact ancient. It is all levers.

smile.gif

like everyone's saying, correct squatting can only benefit him and stimulate even more growth.

as long as he learns correct form before gradually adding weight, he should be fine squatting at that age.

Back