The Log of HST

I have decided to take the plunge and cease my linear 5x5 (which I've been on for over a year) and start HST.  I'm testing my max's this week on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and will take the following week off.  Here is my setup:

Workout 3 days per week, full body everyday (Mon, Wed, Fri).

Rep ranges will be 12-9-6.  I decided to go a bit lower overall since I'm trying to cut a few pounds, so I want to keep my lifts a bit heavier.

I will be putting my max lifts on workout number five in each mesocycle, and will attempt to go beyond that mark on the 6th workout by 5%.

After doing much reading about volume/load, my goal is to reach 15 total reps each workout - but the first set must be at least the goal for that particular mesocycle. For example, for the 9 rep mesocycle, I will bust my a** to try and hit at least 9 reps on my first set, then cluster to hit the other 6. I know it's advised that we don't go to failure using HST, but at the same time I want to know if I get stronger in a certain rep range. The only way that I can do this is if I push hard on the 5th and 6th workout. I can take solace in knowing that the following week will be a bit easier. Not only that, but if I do set new records, it'll be easy to set up my next cycle using the new max's I set
smile.gif

Leg Press
Smith machine lunges
DB incline
DB flat
Chin-ups
DB row
Tricep pushdown w/rope
BB bicep curl
Sit-ups

The plan is to drop the isolation work on the second week of each mesocycle in order to concentrate more on the compound lifts.  As mentioned, I will perform cluster sets to reach certain rep goals, though I can't imagine needing to do this until the sometime during the second week.

Some current stats (as of 6/25/2007)

Height:  5'8"
Weight:  178.5
BF% (last tested on 6/25/06, weight 187.5, skin calipers):  8.6%

5 rep max's
Squat (ATG):  326.25
Bench:  277.5
Pendlay row:  225
Incline bench:  251.25
Deadlift:  385

I just cycled off of creatine monohydrate, and plan on staying off during my HST cycle.  The only relevant supplments that I will be taking are various protein powders.

All cardio will be comprised of brisk walking on a treadmill, 3.0 speed 5.0 incline.

6/25/2007: Monday

Today I tested my max's for each exercise - my goal was to hit either my 6, 9, or 12 rep max, without planning what max that I wanted to hit.  This allowed me to pick up a weight and just max out, and whatever result I got would be my max.

Leg Press (excluding sled weight):  9x500
Smith machine lunge (back leg elevated): 9x130
DB incline:  12x80
DB flat: 12x85
Chin-ups (to upper chest): 10xBW
DB Row:  14x75 (estimate 12 rep max to be 80)
Rope pushdown:  12x11
BB curl:  12x70

Postworkout cardio:  20 minutes
Evening cardio:  31 minutes

Obviously I'm writing this on a Tuesday, and my entire body is sore, but in that good way.  Even though I was using the most effective overall exercises during my 5x5, I am obviously working my muscles in a different way, accounting for the soreness that I am experiencing.

If anyone knows of a way that I can copy and paste spreadsheets in the body of the message, I can post my diet.

6/26/2007: Tuesday

Afternoon Cardio:  45 minutes
Evening Cardio: 32 minutes

I have to admit, after being in a comfort zone for so long with 5x5, I have some doubt on HST - there just doesn't seem to by much volume as far as the program goes.  At the same time, since I'm still looking to cut a few pounds (hopefully about 5 pounds in the next 6 weeks), I feel like I can easily over-train if I do too much volume.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,13:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is that your bodyfat% from a year ago, or is that a typo where you meant now?  How do you test your bf%?</div>
Yes, that's my BF% from about 9 months ago - I plan on getting it tested this upcoming Monday, but I can only assume that it's dropped between then and now.

I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.</div>

I would like to do that every three months, but I can't afford the price tag that comes with a test. Some guys around here say it costs anywhere between 30-60 bucks to test.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,13:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a personal trainer test my BF% using skin calipers (skin fold), testing 5 &amp; 7 sites and taking the average.</div>

I would like to do that every three months, but I can't afford the price tag that comes with a test.  Some guys around here say it costs anywhere between 30-60 bucks to test.</div>
Dang, really? The health club that I belong to (Lifetime Fitness) does it for free, as often as I want.

<div>
(ManosHandsOfFate @ Jun. 26 2007,14:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The health club that I belong to (Lifetime Fitness) does it for free, as often as I want.</div>
Good deal!

I've been working out at the YMCA. They'll do a 7-site BF% test free, but only once every six months...
sad.gif

6/27/07: Wednesday

Setting some more max lifts today...

Leg Press:  12x470
Smith Lunge:  12x115
DB Incline bench:  9x90
DB Flat bench:  9x100
Chin-ups (to to upper chest):  9x10 lbs
DB Row single arm row:  9x90
Tricep rope rushdown:  9x12.5
BB Curl:  9x80

Post workout cardio:  20 minutes
Evening cardio:  31 minutes

Lifts felt really good, and my body is already thanking me for switching routines - my lower back is starting to feel better, and my muscles are sore from the new movements.

6/28/07: Thursday

Early afternoon cardio: 45 minutes
Evening cardio: 30 minutes

Nothing too special today, just some walking on a slight incline. My body is really feeling great, finally getting away from those heavy BB compound movements. I'm really looking forward to my first deconditioning phase in over five months.

6/29/07: Friday

Leg Press: 6x590
Smith Lunge: 6x165
DB Incline bench: 6x100
DB Flat bench: 8x110 (so say 6 rep max of 115)
Chin-ups (to to upper chest): 6x27.5 lbs
DB Row single arm row: 6x105
Tricep rope rushdown: 6x14.5
BB Curl: 6x95
Various ab exercises

Postworkout cardio: 11 minutes
Evenind cardio: 34 minutes

Felt really strong today, and pretty much my entire time was devoted to my 6 rep max's. It's kind cool to see how strong I have gotten using the 5x5 method for so long - I really hope I don't lose much strength over the coming weeks, as some people have reported a LOSS in strength when they went from a 5x5 to HST.

Back