the proper way to cut carbs/carb load

jwbond

i am currently ~12% bf and cut my carbs in an attempt to get into a ketogenic state. i started it monday this week at 198lbs and i am already down to 193lbs. i know/hope the immediate loss is due to depleted glycogen and water loss. my diet looks like the following:

breakfast 9am:
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 scoops of muscle milk w/ water

11am:
chicken, fish or cow cooked with cheese, oil or some other fat

2pm:
same meal as 11am

4:30 (preworkout)
40g whey

5:30 (postworkout)
40g whey
30g dextrose

7pm
similar to previous meals earlier in the day

10pm (only if im hungry)
1 can of tuna w/ 1 slice of cheese and mustard

anyhow, i just want to make sure i am doing this right. i dont want to lose all of the hard earned muscle i made over the winter.

tomorrow night i am going out on the town and dont want to feel depleted/look like a sissy. how do i properly carb load to fill glycogen stores? when do i start it?

sorry for the long post.

What sort of workouts are you doing? If you aren't doing depletion workouts, you probably aren't getting depleted enough to need more than maybe a 6 hour refeed. Get like 500 grams of carbs in 6 hours, or something like that, without much dietary fat preferrably and also preferrably from mostly more complex sources.

Have you looked at UD2.0?

i am doing an hst upper lower split

upper mwf

lower tths

however, i am thinking of doing lower in the am and upper body in the pm 6 days a week. i hate cardio and want to preserve as much lbm as possible. any suggestions?

I wouldn't cut carbs that much while working out daily... it could really start to suck.

I've got some suggestions but I'll come back with them in a little bit.

Back