The Smell of Fish Oil

Scooper182

I supplement my HST with protein powder and creatine but yesterday I decided I may as well add some EFAs in the form of Windmill OmegaIII Fish Oil Concentrate with DHA and EPA. (This is probably the only brand I'd want to buy because it is sold at the pharmacy I work at so I get a great discount on it).
These are in a bottle in capsulated form and upon opening the bottle and taking a whiff I noticed they had a strong "fishy" smell. I know it's fish oil so it may be logical that the pills reek, but I was wondering if this is normal for capsulated fish oil? This question has been posed before but no one responded to it so I figured I'd ask again. I don't want to be ingesting expired/useless fish oil!

Is there a date on the bottle?

If not, it is possible for any fat to go rancid, usually as far as I know encapsulated fish oil doesn't go bad all that quickly but Aaron would know more about that.

most unflavoured fish oil stinks anyway

it gets worse as there is more free fatty acids in there, and oxidation, but stinks all the same.

Is there any fish oil that doesn't give you rancid belches after taking a few? Or maybe it's just me and my stomach not liking them very much... I've tried a few different brands, one was a bit more expensive than the others, the cheapest being a generic brand, and they all seemed the same.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ June 23 2005,6:14)]Is there any fish oil that doesn't give you rancid belches after taking a few? Or maybe it's just me and my stomach not liking them very much... I've tried a few different brands, one was a bit more expensive than the others, the cheapest being a generic brand, and they all seemed the same.

I've found that taking them in the middle of a meal helps to keep the fish burps at bay. Also, I've heard that they go away after a while (I don't know how long "a while" is), but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I hope so. I don't want to sound like a baby, but I'm sure you and plenty of others understand. People around me, especially my wife, don't particularly enjoy that.

I've taken them with my meal before, but usually before or after. I'll try taking them in the middle of my meal, while I'm still eating and see if that helps.

The burps never went away for me even after a month. I tried just before a meal and that worked. Hopefully I am not losing too much effectiveness prior to a meal as opposed to after a meal.

I just bought a bottle of Udo's and wow is that stuff good! This oil blend is so tasty that you can use it for salads. I'm switching from fish oil caps to Udo's.

I use health from the sun's liquid fish oil and love it.  It has a mild lemon flavor and any burps you have, which are few compared with pills, taste like lemon and not fish.  It does have a barely detectable fish flavor but the lemon masks it almost entirely.  Bottom line, the taste is completely fine and best of all, 2 tablespoons will give you the equivalent of about 15 fish oil capsules.  I've also heard very good things about Carlson's liquid fish oil but can't get it shipped to where I live at a reasonable cost.  Carlson's comes in a 16 oz. size while Health From the Sun is only available in 8oz.ers.  Both are molecular distilled and tested for PCB's.  My whole family, who don't give a care about HST are all taking it regularly now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ June 24 2005,7:09)]I hope you know they aren't nutritionally equivalent.  Say goodbye to EPA and DHA.
There's the rub. Too good to be true. I thought the DHA/EPA conversion was adequate from rich EFA sources. Oh well.

Hey goal: what are you paying for the sun oil?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ectoman @ June 25 2005,4:54)]
wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ June 24 2005,7
wow.gif
9)]I hope you know they aren't nutritionally equivalent.  Say goodbye to EPA and DHA.
There's the rub. Too good to be true. I thought the DHA/EPA conversion was adequate from rich EFA sources. Oh well.
Hey goal: what are you paying for the sun oil?
It`s about 13bucks at bb.com. You can probably get it a dollar cheaper if you shop around but I`ve ordered about 30 times from there and never had an issue so they can have my extra dollar because service has been quite good. Priced per serving, it`s one of the cheapest fish oils out there. Not to mention that I think it`s a whole lot better than poppin` fish pills all day long.

Thanks goal. I will shop around.

PS. We have the same goal (220) :)

Back