The Vegetarian Poll

Im aware protein can be found via many sources, it just seems to me, that it takes alotta beans and peanuts to reach a goal.

What is a rich source of protein via alternative sources, egg and dairy excluded?

Hell, if we include dairy and eggs, I cant see a problem but my thinking was, thats not very vegetarian like.

I don't eat fertilized eggs- no embryos, so no problem there. Plus, I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan- vegans don't eat eggs (or dairy, for that matter).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hell, if we include dairy and eggs, I cant see a problem but my thinking was, thats not very vegetarian like.</div>

There are different flavors of vegetarian diet (pardon the pun), as Ruthenia mentions:
Ovolacto- eggs and dairy OK
Lacto- no eggs, but dairy OK
Vegan- no eggs, no dairy

Beans aren't the most rich source of protein,- lentils and green peas are better, but tofu and gluten (seitan) are two plant good protein sources. Plus, like I said, it all adds up pretty quickly when you consider grain side dishes, etc.

One thing I will say- like most vegetarians, and especially vegetarian BBs (and there are more than a few- Steve Holt, Bill Pearl to name two) is that we need to think long and hard about our diet. But ya know, so does everyone! Well, make that should!

I couldn't care less what others eat either.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strict vegetarianism is not compatible with human existence.
If it was, we could get all the nutrients we need just from plants.
This is not a reality, therefore we must eat red meat, poultry and birds.
End of discussion for me. </div>

I beg to differ as you can find fats and proteins that are essential for human beings (they cannot create) in fruits like avocados and veggies like spinach.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
I just don't think it makes any sense to eliminate an entire food group - it seems to go against our goals of being healthy. But whatever you believe, then go ahead. My younger brother is semi-vegetarian, not strict about it. He doesn't seem to be dying or anything.</div>

However, I completely agree here. It's just the same as eliminating carbohydrates or fat from the diet.

The human brain would never have gotten bigger had we not made the leap to omnivore.

Our cousins at the time that chose to stay as leaf eaters are now all died out.

Homosapien has evolved, what is to stop the human brain from evolving?

The only thing I can think of is vegetarianism.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I couldn't care less what you eat, but isn't eating chicken embryos the same thing as eating chickens ? What is the typical vegan's take on that ?</div>

Good question, essentially yes, but you get ovo-lacto vegetarians which eat eggs and milk products (still animal products) and you get strict vegans (strictly vegetarian protein sources only.

The emaciated vegetarians and those who are not thriving for whatever reason are not getting the complete proteins they should so their diet is imcomplete at best.

I always wonder what happened to Bob Paris, he was a vegetarian bodybuilder who looked excellent (don't know if he was natural though, could be he was not and then that is cheating at least in my books)
wink.gif

And...I'm sorry about teh preaching earlier on, bible quoting and all...but I just got a bout of inspiration.
cool.gif

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Feb. 01 2007,19:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The human brain would never have gotten bigger had we not made the leap to omnivore.

Our cousins at the time that chose to stay as leaf eaters are now all died out.

The only thing I can think of is vegetarianism.</div>
What about gorillas, strength wise, rival any man? Pound for pound, same could be said for any monkey as well.

Their capacity to learn and understand, debatable.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Our cousins at the time that chose to stay as leaf eaters are now all died out.
The only thing I can think of is vegetarianism. </div>

This is a rather dim view to use in such a debate, maxi!
sad.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What about gorillas, strength wise, rival any man?</div>

Do we really have to go there? I suppose it is a good example after all.

One other thing vegetarianis is not about &quot;leaf eating&quot;, that is just a part of it, besides if you don't eat cruciferous vegetables, you will have a serious toilet problem
laugh.gif
or haven't you noticed?
rock.gif

Our gut length is way too long to be carniverous, if we compare gut lengths, the longer sizes belong to the herbivorous animals, some people have way too much toxins in their gut from meat eating in excess and putrefaction within, just by the way.

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 02 2007,09:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do we really have to go there? I suppose it is a good example after all.</div>
Its an awesome example.
wink.gif

Come on folks, I was serious, Im just looking for alternatives, or additions to my carnivore diet, thought I would ask those of the vegan variety, wanna know, go to the source, right?
smile.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 02 2007,09:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Our gut length is way too long to be carniverous, if we compare gut lengths, the longer sizes belong to the herbivorous animals, some people have way too much toxins in their gut from meat eating in excess and putrefaction within, just by the way.</div>
do you have some references for this? proportionally, our GI system is the same as those of &quot;Real&quot; carnivores.

Primates are not strict vegetarians, BTW.

Most of the apes aren't strictly vegan. Chimps and orangs do eat meat. Chimps also hunt and kill just for the sake of hunting and killing. Gorillas do I believe stick to a purely vegan diet.

Vegans I think are the true non-omnivores. With careful attention to detail, most of them can be healthy and build muscle. Ever saw an underweight gorilla?

Vegetarians on the other hand often just don't eat things that once had a face. Eggs and milk are OK for many of them.

I did go vegan once, not for any reason other than the thought of eating meat was making me nauseated. I lost lots of muscle when I did it. I was glad when I could eat meat again. I personally won't flame anyone for their dietary choices. I choose to eat my chicken, fish, cows, deer, pigs, and whatever else I want to eat at the time. I've even eaten rattlesnake and cat. I will tease vegans from time to time though with no harm intended.

Note, the vegan gorilla DOES have the smallest penis of any primate. A connection perhaps? I don't know.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Feb. 02 2007,10:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 02 2007,09:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Our gut length is way too long to be carniverous, if we compare gut lengths, the longer sizes belong to the herbivorous animals, some people have way too much toxins in their gut from meat eating in excess and putrefaction within, just by the way.</div>
do you have some references for this? proportionally, our GI system is the same as those of &quot;Real&quot; carnivores.

Primates are not strict vegetarians, BTW.</div>
Some are some arent, still disproves the theory that strength or general good health, can only be obtained via the carnivore lifestyle.  Gorilla is a hell of an example.

Which is funny, cause everytime I read a new product coming out that mimics mothers milk, I just sit and wait, cause one day, someones gonna claim they can mimic gorilla milk and I bet they sell it by the barrell...haha

And as far as, all the comments/examples on how the vegatarian lifestyle can in no way shape or form, promote good health, I must use a common term that everyone on this board just loves......anecdotal evidence!
biggrin.gif
I couldnt resist.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">do you have some references for this?</div>

Not on paper but have a DVD set that has lots of references I'mgoing to check it again to give you teh references, the lecturer uses peer review references and sometimes quotes.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Primates are not strict vegetarians, BTW.</div>

This is by choice, I believe,but I guess the bible is not a reference you wish to discuss.

Take for instance the teeth of a carnivore, supposedly the big canine teeth are an indication right? Let us then consider the panda bear, carnivore? No way jose, teeth,pretty impressive set of canines! Diet: Bamboo and other vegetarian components...interesting,I'd say!

You can't compare monkeys, chimps and gorilla's to humans.  Just like you can't expect the same results form an experiment on rats to happen with humans.  It just isn't going to happen. Like it or not humans were &quot;created&quot; differently than apes.

Wow, I spend a day away for my wedding anniversary and all hell breaks loose!  Glad everyone is having fun with this.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just don't think it makes any sense to eliminate an entire food group - it seems to go against our goals of being healthy.</div>

Of course, many vegetarians would argue that it is because of health reasons that they became vegetarian.  But as Jake points out, even vegetarians can make poor food choices and eat an unhealthy diet – heck, potato chips are vegetarian (and I love them, darn!).  Mid-life I let myself become too inactive and I am now in a cutting cycle to reduce my body fat.  Still, only a bodybuilder would have ever considered me “overfat.”

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">cats get everything from meat, actually by eating whole animals,  they need no other food groups.</div>

This is because they must get carnitine from dietary sources -- not the case with humans.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How do you intake the amount of protein, required to meet your requirements, on a daily basis?  Maybe I should also ask, what do you feel your protein requirement is, based on your weight?</div>

Maintenance protein levels are no problem, but I must admit that bulking levels take a little more work.  It can be done, of course, with things like tofu, plus I get a pretty good protein charge from a bean and rice burrito.  However, like many omnivores, I do find protein shakes make it easier.  Unlike Jake, I am a vegan, so eggs and dairy are off of my list.  Outside of things like tofu and seitan, high protein vegan foods also tend to have high calories, so the shakes just make it easier to meet protein goals without gorging yourself too much.  I also have an omnivorous wife, so the social aspect has to be considered, as well.

Vegetarianism is as much ethical for me as for health, but I learned long ago that proselytizing on the issue seldom makes you friends, so I avoid talking too much about it unless asked.

All of our diets involve health trade-offs.  Meat eaters have to deal with the vascular effects of animal fats and, often, the potential for unwanted substances (hormones, anti-biotics) from factory-farming.  I have gone long stretches without supplementing my vegan diet and have done quite will that way.  However, I have recently added some things normally only found in meat (carnitine, creatine) just to see if I can do better.  On balance, I consider the vegetarian route the best long term approach, but that is my opinion.

Fausto, you can’t expect everybody to buy the biblical arguments, but I appreciate them and thank you for the witness.  And doctor, saying that the Bible has as much relevance as Mad Magazine is a bit much even from a secular perspective -- it has impacted western culture in a most profound manner.

Anyway, I was just wanting to hear from other veggies on the board.  Where did they go?  A search on the subject turns up several from earlier years.  Where is Hammer-Man and the like?

I´ll leave the bible alone as I don´t want to offend anyone with my personal beliefs, but please continue to respect my beliefs as I will yours. Let us not use the bible to discuss science, which like it or not is the realm in which nutrition falls into.

As close as we are genetically to gorillas, there is a world of difference in our guts and our metabolism.

Don´t you worry about the estrogen stimulation through eating lots of soy based tofu to get in enough protein.

I don´t think pandas would be eating meat as they are SLOW animals and would not be able to catch much in the way of meat.

Sharp teeth do not a carnivore make.

I think one of the strogest arguments for human as omnivore is that our system is perfectly capable of metabolizing meat.

Funnily enough, since going quasi-paleo, and eating tons-o-meat, I have never been leaner in my life.

I'm confused - where are potatoes on the evolutionary scale?
They have eyes; when are the nose/mouth/ears coming? or have they been &amp; gone?
sad.gif

Don't get me started on corn ...ears???
rock.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don´t you worry about the estrogen stimulation through eating lots of soy based tofu to get in enough protein.</div>

I brought this issue up myself in the How Much Omega-3? thread.  I would be interested in any research you know on this.  However, after kicking this around in that thread it appears to me that the research is contradictory -- in other words, it is difficult to say that such a problem really exists. If you follow some of the links in that thread you will see what I mean.  Heck, there is even one study that demonstrated increased test levels in rats from soy supplementation (a reasult I personally find unlikely).

On the other hand, it is not possible to dismiss it out of hand, either.  So, while I use soy protein sources, I do not go overboard on it -- I use a non-soy vegetable protein powder for protein shakes.  The remainder of my protein comes from some soy, plus the other typical vegetarian sources (legumes, grains, etc.).

My only testosterone test put me smack dab in the middle of the MMAS levels -- that was an afternoon test, so I imagine I would be higher if I followed the study protocols. So, at least by that measurement, I am doing OK.

I haven´t done any research into it because soy never made up any part of what I put into my body, but I have heard it said enough times by that I bring it up.

Happy Anniversary, Ruthenian- I hope you and your spouse had a good one! Nothing like a discussion about veganism/vegtarianism to raise the hackles, huh? I was going to say that it's just as bad as discussing politics, or, uh... religion, but er.... I think Fausto covered that base
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don´t think pandas would be eating meat as they are SLOW animals and would not be able to catch much in the way of meat. </div>

But lemurs and koalas are relatively fast (especially lemurs), and koalas are completely vegetarian and lemurs are primarily so and eat meat only if the veggies run out. Plus, they're so danged *cute*.

Back