time to polish up the GUNZZZ!

I added some arm iso's at the end of my compound movements. (hence the log name)

10/15/07

All exercises are 3 sets of 6 reps. I am starting my cycle light and progressing the load each workout ala Bryan's HST progressive load principle. So please don't laugh at the pathetic resistance, it will go up soon enough.
It has been a about 5 weeks since I last trained, so I should be somewhat DEconditioned, (a fancy way to say 'out-of-shape'.)

Squats- 195 lb.s
Chins- BW
Bench- 155 lb.s
BB Rows- 135 lb.s
DB Up Rows- 30s

Gun polishing
DB Curls- 30s
Pressdowns- 65

Man, I feel weak...definitely deconditioned in that area. Hopefully, 'muscle memory' will kick in and I will look like the incredibly ripped hulk I once was.
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Might as well take some measurements, so I can compare before and after.

Right thigh: 24.5"
Hip: 35.5" (fat boy)
Waist: 33.5"
Chest: 42" (meh)
Neck: 16.5"
R. Arm: 15.5"
Calves: Who cares. my calves suck.
blush.gif

According to this Navy Circumference Calculator I have 12% bodytfat, but my scale say I have 21%, go figure...?

Hopefully I can cut my hip/waist size down an inch or two while maintaining my amr/chest/thigh/neck size somewhat.

OOps, forgot to do external rotations...need to keep my shoulders limber and healthy, or the pain will return. I'll go do a few quick sets for my external rotators.

scientific,

For polishing up the gunzzz, I have found that light weight and high reps is the ticket for me.  Since many are in agreement that arm iso's aren't even necessary given enough load on the compound movements that they supplement, I figured they don't need extra heavy weight...but extra high reps to offset.  What I'm spraying is that since chins, bench, etc. give arms the weight they need to grow strength wise, I wanted to hit them up with something different on off days to help them build more endurance/size but not really focusing on the heavier loads.  Anyway, I just started this, and for biceps only on off days, and I am already noticing some extra definition and hardness I'm not used to.  I also have a very, very hard time getting my biceps sore (this is THE only muscle I have trouble with) and the high reps have done the trick at least once so far.  Good luck.

bodyweight is 190 even.

soflsun... My biceps hardly ever get sore either. But soreness doesn't mean much. I was originally going to only do the compounds, I figured benching and dips, etc. would take care of triceps, and chins and rows would take care of biceps. But I decided adding some iso's at the end of my workout certainly wouldn't hurt, and will probably help. I will probably play around with rep ranges, exercises, etc. with the arm isos since they are just 'icing on the cake' of my REAL workout.

I really want some nice arm development this cycle, and I will certainly try high reps. I may just do one heavy set and then one light, high-rep set for arms after my workout...that sounds fun.

Sci: I take a different approach to soflsun and only hit my tris and bis with heavy, low reps but lots of sets. 10 x 3 (or similar) just once a week is enough additional hard work to give my arms an extra reason to grow but not so much that it interferes with recovery for my compounds. I love it.

Edited to add: This is a recent experiment for me so the results aren't in yet, but I can tell that my arms are benefiting already.

Both you guys have great gunz!!! I'm with you Lol, I love low reps...(hmm...maybe because I started out doing max-stim workouts (one rep at a time) with AWESOME results!)

I think I'll stick with the 3x6, but I will probably add one light 'burn set' at the end as soflsun is doing, it certainly couldn't hurt to do one high-rep set for the gunz, and might even help stimulate lactic acid for the tendons.

My Bis grow best from using very high load and a form that is questionable, at least on the postive part of the movement, on the negative I try to lower it as controlled as possible (of course I try to be strict on the concentric part too, but lifting the weight is most important for me).
3 Reps 6 sets.
For my Tris I really dont need any direct work since they respond so well to benching and all other pressing movements, extra isos often just cut down my recovery.
We are all different
tounge.gif

Sci, I don't understand just why you're doing lowrep sets.
For my own return to BB, I'm blasting from one set of 15's, and finished the mesocycle at 3 sets.
That was sort of "going to failure" for me, as I had no VO2max ability left, and each set got me huffing and puffing. By the end of 2+ weeks, it took 3 sets to do that.
I just put a lot of value on the 15's, especially after a long SD, as this one proved to me.
I'm not saying you should do it this way, just wanted to hear your thought. I know you're not a noob or stoopid.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really feel that the biggie movements are best for overall arm growth. After a straight year almost of incorporating heavy deads, heavy weighted pullups, and now one-arm pullups, my arms have never looked better, nor as well defined.

It's a highly personal sport, tho, and what works for one always doesn't work for all. If you're having success with isos, have at it!
laugh.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 16 2007,09:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sci, I don't understand just why you're doing lowrep sets.
For my own return to BB, I'm blasting from one set of 15's, and finished the mesocycle at 3 sets.
That was sort of &quot;going to failure&quot; for me, as I had no VO2max ability left, and each set got me huffing and puffing. By the end of 2+ weeks, it took 3 sets to do that.
I just put a lot of value on the 15's, especially after a long SD, as this one proved to me.
I'm not saying you should do it this way, just wanted to hear your thought. I know you're not a noob or stoopid.</div>
Hey, who *dared* to give the great Q-dood a negative rating and lower his perfect 5
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

Shame, shame, shame. Well, Q, you're still a perfect 5 to me
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Oct. 16 2007,11:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey, who *dared* to give the great Q-dood a negative rating and lower his perfect 5
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

Shame, shame, shame. Well, Q, you're still a perfect 5 to me
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yeah, I saw that. Someone took a bite out of my ass, too.

But I agree. Quad is a &quot;5&quot; in my book.

Well my whole body is sore today...hams, quads, lats, pecs, bis and tris especially.

So whatever I am doing is hitting the right areas, of course I am only sore since I took a long layoff from training, probably will go away in a week or so.

To quad: I do lower reps for the same reason max-stim does one rep at a time...No need for high-rep stuff to grow. Only TUT, load and work. I get more work done with higher loads in less time by keeping sets of reps small or clustered.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So whatever I am doing is hitting the right areas, of course I am only sore since I took a long layoff from training, probably will go away in a week or so.</div>

Post-SD DOMS!
cool.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 16 2007,19:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So whatever I am doing is hitting the right areas, of course I am only sore since I took a long layoff from training, probably will go away in a week or so.</div>

Post-SD DOMS!
cool.gif
</div>
you got it!  I admit it is satisfying to get DOMS once in awhile.  Even if it doesn't mean anything, it FEELS like you are growing.
ghostface.gif

laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...No need for high-rep stuff to grow.  Only TUT, load and work. </div>
Mmmmm....ok. For a minnit I agree.
But from another standpoint I defer to higher reps for conditioning and things like retraining. Our local gym owner told me I was using too much back in the deads, but I'd never correct it pulling big weight. So in the 15's, I find myself going lower in the squats, pulling deads almost all the way up with the legs, and those minor corrections that will allow me to lift bigger and better later on.
Advancing without the conditioning of highrep work has always stalled me out quickly. This is exacerbated by age and lack of the accursed cardio, I'm sure.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey, who *dared* to give the great Q-dood a negative rating and lower his perfect 5
rock.gif
???

Shame, shame, shame. Well, Q, you're still a perfect 5 to me </div>
We should never speak our minds nor tell it like it is, so we can continue to enjoy a high score in the useless popularity ratings.
rock.gif

Fausto, quadnacer, old&amp;gray, amd others have all pointed out tha tmaybe I should do higher reps. And now in a private conversation with Joe.Muscle he has inpired me to do more volume per bodypart...so I am thinking to do 4 sets of 8 reps instead of 3x6 this cycle. That will drop the loads to 'safer' levels joint-wise and almost double the amount of work done per bodypart.
I can't help but remember how rapidly my thighs grew doing the very high-volume phase of Korte's squat/deadlift craziness.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 16 2007,01:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OOps, forgot to do external rotations...need to keep my shoulders limber and healthy, or the pain will return.  I'll go do a few quick sets for my external rotators.</div>
Sci,

I have been doing face pulls instead of the rotator isolations for the last couple of months. I'm liking them and I think that they are working better than the isolations for strengthening my external rotators. You might want to give them a try and see how they work for you.

Good luck and welcome back the the HST forum.

Back