Training on fasting stomach

abanger

Increased p70(s6k) phosphorylation during intake of a protein-carbohydrate drink following resistance exercise in the fasted state.
<div>
(Borge Fagerli @ Nov. 21 2009,7:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This was, as you see, just published - and found some surprising conclusions. When you exercise activates a series of signals, proteins and genes that ultimately leads to an increase in protein synthesis. mTOR is the critical factor, and it activates in turn p70s6 kinase, which in turn leads to protein synthesis.

figure58.jpg

Key points in the study, subject to certain weaknesses:

- 6 young men who had no regular training experience. This can affect the results compared with better-trained practitioners.
- Training on fasting stomach with intake of carbohydrate + protein + leucine immediately after the training gave twice as high levels of p70s6k who exercise 90 minutes after a karbohydratrik breakfast. After 4 hours it was, however, about the same levels whether they are trained fasting or after a big breakfast.
- There was also an increase in a couple of other myogenetiske transcription factors (including MyoD1), this was also seen in measurements 4 hours after exercise.
- Breakfast included massive amounts of carbohydrate (150g) + 20g protein. Insulin levels when training started was sky high.
- Drink that was ingested after exercise also contained massive doses of leucine, a total of 10g or 0.12g per kg of body weight - which is over twice as much as previous studies have shown to be optimal (0.05g/kg).

This provides support for periodic fasting protocol, or exercise on an empty stomach in the morning, but before you get overzealous and runs with it, so lets think of results from previous studies:

- The ingestion of carbohydrates + EAA (essential amino acids) 1 hour before training gave poorer results than the intake immediately after exercise.
- The ingestion of carbohydrates + EAA just before training produced better results than the intake immediately after exercise.
- The levels of Akt / PKB was much lower at training on fasting stomach with moderatelytrained athletes.

The explanation is that there is a refraktorisk response to a meal or amino acids taken as close to training that the levels are falling when the training starts. This coincides with the Layne Norton has presented in his protein-pulsing studies. When aminosyrenivåene is chronically elevated inhibited the signals for protein synthesis, compared to pulses where aminosyrenivåene vary.

You can stimulate protein synthesis with 1 insulin + amino acids, 2.trening. When the levels of amino acids is falling when the session starts, it will &quot;collide&quot; with the stimulus from the training. However, if you take amino acids as before, the levels of identity and enhance the training stimulus, since it takes between 10-60 minutes after ingestion of food before the amino acids have passed through the digestion and is taken up in the bloodstream.

So the conclusion can be as simple as that breakfast was eaten too close to exercise, and that you should wait to eat at least 3-4 hours before exercise. Just before the workout you can eat carbohydrates and amino acids or whey / whey (or a combination of whey and casein as the MyoProtein).

Let us hope that the follow-up studies shed light on this theme even better, but it is certainly results in this study that points to that:

1. It is not dangerous to train on fasting stomach as long as you savor the food just before or soon after, and
2. You may want to avoid exercise 1-2 hours after a meal, especially a carbohydrate-rich meal. We do not know if it requires a fixed period of up to 12 hours as in this study to avoid the refraktoriske response, but theoretically it should be NOK by 3-4 hours.

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009 Nov 18

Increased p70 (s6k) phosphorylation during intake of a protein-carbohydrate drink following resistance exercise in the fasted state.

Deldicque L, De Bock K, Maris M, Ramaekers M, Niels H, Francaux M, Hespel P.

Research Group in Muscle and Exercise Physiology, Institute of Neurosciences, UCLouvain, Place Pierre de Coubertin 1, 1348, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.

The present study aimed at comparing the responses of myogenic regulatory factors and signaling pathways involved in muscle protein synthesis after a resistance training session performed in either the fasted or fed state. According to a randomized crossover study design, six young male subjects participated in two experimental sessions separated by 3 weeks. In each session, they performed a standardized resistance training. After the sessions, they received during a 4-h recovery period 6 ml / kg bw h of a solution containing Carbohydrates (50 g / l), protein hydrolyzate (33 g / l), and leucine (16.6 g / l). On one occasion, the resistance exercise session was performed after the intake of a carbohydrate-rich breakfast (B), whereas in the other session they remained fasted (F). Needle biopsies from m. vastus lateralis were obtained before (Rest), and 1 h (1 h) and 4 h (4 h) after exercise. Myogenin, MRF4, and MyoD1 mRNA contents were determined by RT-PCR. Phosphorylation of PKB (protein kinase B), GSK3, p70 (s6k) (p70 ribosomal S6 kinase), eIF2B, eEF2 (eukaryotic elongation factor 2), ERK1 / 2, and P38 was measured by western blotting. Compared with F, the pre-exercise phosphorylation states of PKB and p70 (s6k) were higher in B, whereas those of eIF2B and eEF2 were lower. During recovery, the phosphorylation state of p70 (s6k) was lower in B than in F ( p = 0.02). There were no differences in basal mRNA contents between B and F. However, compared with F at 1 h, MyoD1 and MRF4 mRNA contents were lower in B (p &lt;0.05). Our results indicate that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate / protein / leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session.</div>

Somewhat related:
I used to stress pre-workout meals- projecting a lot of importance on making sure I had a carb rich meal 1.5-2 hours before hitting the weights. There's been times that family. job and the clock conspired to force empty stomach workouts if there was to be a workout at all that day.

At first I psyched myself out to some degree and had sub-par workouts because I EXPECTED sub-par workouts on days that I hadn't been able to eat first. Ultimately I found that to a large degree it was in my head and that the quality of the workout really has little to do with this.

Although lifting is a physical act I think that LIFTING WELL is a mental game.
smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Nov. 24 2009,9:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Although lifting is a physical act I think that LIFTING WELL is a mental game.
smile.gif
</div>
Amen to that. Esp. if you are actually trying to push into new territory and set new PRs.

Interesting post abanger. As I train in the evenings, I'll continue taking some whey + carbs close to training but I'll also try to ensure I don't eat a carb heavy meal for at least a couple of hours prior to training - pretty much what I would do anyway to avoid any pukey feeling while training (esp. for high-rep work).

Back