TR's log

Thursday, February 19

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 5x95, 5x135, 5x155, 5x175
Squats  20x175 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 5x85, 1x125, 20x90 (ms)
Serratus Shrugs 2x10x90
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x65 (ms)

Cardio: half hour walking at 3.2 mph (a bit over 5 kmh)

The gym was crowded today. I had to wait in line several times. Thus I didn't get a chance to do my calves and shrugs.

There was a guy benching 315 lbs two or three times... I was impressed.

I'm glad I didn't restart this cycle all over, but I'm also glad that I backed off the weight a bit until I could get going again. I felt good with my deads on Tuesday and I felt good with my squats today.

Warming up with front squats seems to help -- I was able to get all the way ATG with my back squats! I think I'm ready to progress the weights a bit next week.

Monday, February 23

RDLs 5x135
Deadlifts 5x135, 3x185, 3x225, 3x285, 20x245(ms)
Chins BW-20x5, BWx5, BW-10x20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BWx5, BW-10x20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 2x10x110
EZ-bar Preacher Curls 2x10x37
EZ-bar Skulls 2x10x37
Supine Shoulder Raise* 2x10x37
Pec-Dec 90x20 (ms)

Rack Pulls (knee high) 3x285, 3x315, 3x365, 3x375

Cardio: one hour walking at 3.2 mph (a bit over 5 kmh)

I felt good today. The deadlift 285 lb triple came right up, and everything else seemed to go smoothly.

There was a young man there doing rack pulls -- sets of 8 -- working his way up to 465 lbs. It looked like such fun that I went back and did some sets of three when he finished. I set the bar right at the crease between my patella and vastus medialis. Next time I'll set the bar a bit lower.

[*Whoops! I just learned that what I have been calling a Serratus Shrug is more aptly named a Supine Shoulder Raise.]

Hey, what happened to that young man deadlifting avatar?
rock.gif

Nice rack pulls TR!!

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Feb. 24 2009,12:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I felt good today. The deadlift 285 lb triple came right up, and everything else seemed to go smoothly.

There was a young man there doing rack pulls -- sets of 8 -- working his way up to 465 lbs. It looked like such fun that I went back and did some sets of three when he finished. I set the bar right at the crease between my patella and vastus medialis. Next time I'll set the bar a bit lower.</div>
Hey TR, that's some nice work.

Here's a thought: once you have reached the end of your cycle, and your limit with regular MS deads, you could try switching to rack pulls and then continue to increment the load a few more times. A set of MS rack pulls would be pretty brutal for a few weeks and would make for an interesting experiment. In fact, it sounds like so much fun that I think I'll give it a go at the end of this cycle.

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 24 2009,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's a thought: once you have reached the end of your cycle, and your limit with regular MS deads, you could try switching to rack pulls and then continue to increment the load a few more times. A set of MS rack pulls would be pretty brutal for a few weeks and would make for an interesting experiment. In fact, it sounds like so much fun that I think I'll give it a go at the end of this cycle.</div>
Excellent! I may try that. There are any number of things I'd like to do, but don't have a way to fit into my program (Leg Presses come to mind as well).

The rack pulls I did yesterday really drained my CNS. It occurs to me that I may well not be able to keep that sort of thing up for long. However, by slipping them in at the end of my program, I could continue with some heavy work for a bit longer.

Wednesday, February 25

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 3x95, 3x135, 3x185
Squats 3x185, 1x205, 1x225, 1x245, 20x185 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 3x85, 1x105, 0x145 (miss!) 1x135, 20x95 (ms)

Lying Dumbbell Row 20x65 (ms)

I was feeling my oats today, so I tried for a PR 145 lb bench press -- and missed it. I just couldn't lock it out. So I went back a few minutes later and settled for a 135 lb lift.

I ran out of time again, so no calf work or shrugs.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Feb. 24 2009,12:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The rack pulls I did yesterday really drained my CNS. It occurs to me that I may well not be able to keep that sort of thing up for long. However, by slipping them in at the end of my program, I could continue with some heavy work for a bit longer.</div>
Yeah, but you added a whole pile of extra weight to what you were using for deads. I was meaning that you go with a few more increments over your regular 5RM deadlift loading (ie. ~ your end of cycle MS loads). So if you finished up your regular deads with 20 x 275, you might switch to rack pulls and try for 20 MS reps x 285 one session, 20 x 295 the next, and then maybe 20 x 305 to finish up your cycle. You might find you can make the increments a bit larger than that, or that may prove to be too much. You'll have to suck it and see. It should feel pretty darn good though!
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Never mind about the 145. You'll get it one of these days. Just keep that shoulder healthy.

Saturday, February 28

RDLs 10x45, 10x95, 5x135
Deadlifts 10x135, 3x185, 3x225, 1x275, 3x295, 20x255(ms)
Chins BW-20x5, BW+25x3, BWx20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BW+25x3, BWx20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 2x10x110
EZ-bar Preacher Curls 2x10x42
EZ-bar Skulls 2x10x42
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x42
Pec-Dec 100x20 (ms)

Nailed the 295 lb. deadlift triple! (Though, to be fair, I did pause about 15 seconds between reps). I used straps (Versa-Grips) and a double overhand grip for the 295 lb lift. Then on my work set  I used a double overhand grip, but had to strap up after about 8 or 10 reps. I'm gonna have to get out my grippers and work on my grip strength once again.

No cardio today. I have a meeting tonight and didn't want to risk being utterly exhausted.

@Bax &quot;Hey, what happened to that young man deadlifting avatar? &quot;

I didn't think the picture showed up very well. I tried for about a day, then went back to the old reliable Spaceman Spiff.

Monday, March 2

Front Squats 10x45, 5x95, 3x135, 1x185, 1x205
Squats 1x205, 3x225, 20x195 (ms)

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 1x95, 1x140, 20x100 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x70 (ms)
Pec-Dec 20x100 (ms)

I watched Rippitoe's Youtube squat video about using hip drive. When I read about it before, I didn't understand, but watching Rip's video, I think I got it. So today I focused on keeping my head and eyes down, and lifting up my butt rather than my chest. It seemed to help.

It looks as though I may have re-injured a previous surgery. My doctor says it probably wasn't because of weight training but rather it was more likely caused by something else. I am still allowed to train, but I confess I was a lot more careful (and wore a belt!). There is a treatment available that may let me recover without surgery; my doctor is looking into it.

Thursday, March 5

No Deads, No Squats (why bother to come in...?  
sad.gif
)

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 1x95, 0x145, 1x135, 20x105 (ms)
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x105
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x70 (ms)

Chins BW-20x5, BW+10x20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BW+10x20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 20x120 (ms)
EZ-bar Skulls 2x10x42
Pec-Dec 20x100 (ms)

I've been advised not to do any squats or deads for a while -- at least until we can determine more specifically whether I have managed to re-injure myself. I'm having a bit of pain directly over the scar from a previous hernia repair. There is some concern that it may have reherniated, so I am to lay off the major core exercises until the doctors can determine what to do.

So, pour me a latte and fit me for spandex! I spent an afternoon in the gym without doing a single deadlift or squat. I think my sperm count may have dropped by 20%...! If a man can't lift heavy, is he a man at all?

Since I couldn't do any deads, I rolled in my bench press and rows from my &quot;B&quot; workout. I figure that at least they are still compound exercises. I tried once again for a PR on bench, and missed it once again. The 145 lb bar nearly squashed me, but 135 lbs went up just fine less than a minute later. Chins were okay at bodyweight plus 10, but the dips took a bit of work at the same weight. The triceps pushdown finally got heavy enough that I decided to use Max-Stim M-time, rather than sets of 10.

Next time I'll do my squat and shrug workout minus the squats and shrugs. I'll roll in my chins and dips to take their place. Thus I should have enough time to do my calve raises. Otherwise I won't be getting any lower body work at all.

Dag, if this goes on for long, I'll be doing curls in the squat rack...!

All the very best TR. I hope your docs can sort you out and send you hurrying along the old healing road ASAP.

Would it be out of the question to try some thigh extensions and curls or would that be just as likely to make matters worse? Of course, being a squats and deads kind of guy, you probably don't even know what they are!
wink.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 05 2009,8:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Would it be out of the question to try some thigh extensions and curls or would that be just as likely to make matters worse? Of course, being a squats and deads kind of guy, you probably don't even know what they are!</div>
Thigh extensions and curls still produce pressure in the injured area (though likely not as much as squats or deads). Besides, I'd have to fight my way past all the nancy-boys and the ferns in order to reach the machines...

The doctor wants to try some spinal decompression therapy. There's maybe a 20% chance that the hernia can repair itself. One out of five is not so good, but it's way better than nothing. I go in next week.

Saturday, March 7

No Deads, No Squats  
sad.gif

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 3x95, 1x145 PR, 20x105 (ms)
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x105
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x75 (ms)

Chins BW-20x5, BW+15x20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BW+15x20 (ms)

Pec-Dec 20x100 (ms)

I finally nailed the 145 lb bench press. Yessssss!!

105 lbs is still heavy, though, for my work set. I've used that weight for two workouts. I think I'll try it again next week. My M-time is high between reps -- past 20 seconds for the final few. I'm not too concerned about RBE just yet.

I think I'll repeat BW+15 for chins and dips as well, but I'm ready to move up on the Pec-Dec.

I intended to do calves, seated and standing, but the gym closed early and they threw me out...

Hey that's a great bench TR!!

Hope you heal up soon and can get back to that hardcore, old school, grit your teeth deadlifting and squatting that you love so dearly.

Thursday, March 12

No Deads, No Squats ...

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 3x95, 1x115, 1x150 PR
Incline Press 1x75, 20x65 (ms)
Incline Shoulder Raise 2x10x65
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x75 (ms)

Chins BW-20x5, BW+40x3, BW+15x20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BW+40x1, BW+15x20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 4x5x120
EZ-bar Preacher Curls 2x10x47
EZ-bar Skulls 2x10x47
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x47
Pec-Dec 20x110 (ms)

I finally got my 150 lb bench press! That has been my goal for the past year. I had a good spotter, too. He handed the bar off to me then kept his hands away. I struggled to lock it out, but I got it done. Yeeeeeeeee haw!

Otherwise, I'm kind of floundering in my workouts with no squats or deads to serve as a sort of anchor. I'm pretty much just doing benches, and rows, chips, and dips, plus some isos. This time I substituted an incline bench press for my usual flat bench press, just for some variety.

I did my chins and dips separately today, rather than supersetting them. It probably took a few minutes more, but I didn't have to fool with changing position constantly. I finished with plenty of time left, so I did a bunch of mindless isos.

TR  
Cloud9

Big congrats on your accomplishment TR! That's a pretty darn impressive bench number at your bodyweight, irrespective of your age, and especially with a long-term shoulder issue to contend with.

Have you watched the benching section of Ripp's SS vid yet?

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 13 2009,7:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you watched the benching section of Ripp's SS vid yet?</div>
Yes, I watched the Rippetoe DVD last night. Very helpful. I changed the width of my grip, the place where I touched the bar to my chest, and my position under the bar. I also got rid of the clips that hold the plates on. What a terrific coach!

Wednesday, March 18

No Deads, No Squats ...

Bench Press 10x45, 5x55, 3x95, 1x135, 20x110 (ms)
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x110
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x80 (ms)

Chins BW-20x5, BWx5, BW+50x1, BW+20x20 (ms)
Dips  BW-20x5, BWx5, BW+20x20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 20x120 (ms)
EZ-bar Preacher Curls 20x52 (ms)
EZ-bar Skulls 20x52 (ms)
Supine Shoulder Raise 2x10x52
Pec-Dec 20x110 (ms)

I haven't been able to get into the gym regularly. I've been spending a few days each week in physical therapy. I don't think it's gonna work, but it's worth a shot. The alternative is surgery.

Things are starting to feel heavy as I approach what should have been the end of my cycle. My M-time for the bench press quickly runs up past 15 seconds. Chins, dips, and curls likewise are taking longer between reps. The dumbbell row feels heavy, but my M-time is still below 15 seconds.

I may decide to back off on the weight for a week or so, then cycle up again.

Saturday, March 28

Max-Stim (modified) -- Phase Two

No Deads, No Squats
sad.gif

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 5x85, 3x105, 20x80 (ms)
Incline Bench Press 20x55 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x55 (ms)

Chins BWx20 (ms)
Dips  BW-10x20 (ms)
Triceps Pushdown 20x100 (ms)
EZ-bar Skulls 2x10x42
Pec-Dec 2x20x100 (ms)

One hour walking at 3.2 mph

I finished Phase One of my Max-Stim program. It just didn't seem like I had accomplished much without any heavy squats and deads there at the last. My rehab is taking up a lot of my time and energy, so it's been ten days of SD.

Now I'm starting Phase Two of my Max-Stim program (modified to exclude any squats or deads).  The beginning weights are cut back a bit -- shades of Tudor Bompa. Thus I was able to finish up in well less than an hour, even though I threw in a set of incline bench and and extra set on the Pec-Dec .

Back