Truth about low intensity cardio?

BigL

Is it true you need to do low intensity cardio (like walking on an incline) for a minimum of 35-45 minutes to get results? I only do it for abbut 25 minutes, am I wasting my time?

That depends on the results you're looking for! If you're looking to lose weight, then yes, 30-45 minutes is what you should aim for- even 60 for some people is best. 25 minutes is pretty borderline-

Its good to think of it in terms of calories. Doing low intensity cardio for 25 minutes is just as effective as doing it for 35 minutes, the difference being the total number of calories burned.

Even when doing cardio for short periods of time, the muscles burn energy at the same rate as during longer periods of time given that the "work output" is kept constant.

The reason longer sessions seem more effective is because more total calories are being burned and fat loss is greater as a result.

So in general, as Jake suggested, the more you do the better your results will be.

I dont belive this anymore, but a few years ago i remember my gym coach used to tell us that in order to start burning fat you need to be doing like 40+ min of jogging and then you start to burn more fat...

Is there any benefit to doing low-intensit cardio for a longer period of time than doing high intensity cardio for a shorter? I've been doing cardio 3 days a week, about 20 minutes of fairly intense interval training. I started doing it first thing in the morning (which I loathe--I hate doing anything before I am fully caffeinated). I don't eat for an hour afterwards. I've noticed doing this that I am dropping weight and losing fat much more quickly, even though I haven't limited my caloric intake.

Occasionally I'll do more, in the middle of the day, like ride my mountain bike through hilly terrain for an hour or two, depending on how I'm feeling.

There's a lot of debate over low intensity vs high intensity. I think it's better if you read both sides and see which appeals to you more.

Personally, when I was pretty fat, low intensity on empty stomach really helped me to lose weight but I found it boring, not to mention that drag of getting up early in the morning.

Now that I'm much fitter, I find high intensity cardio in the way of sprints and bike riding is much more appealing to me, not to mention better at conditioning my cardiovascular system.

If you are getting results with what you are doing now, why change?

Back