TST

Maximuscrates

After tree planting the last two years and being too tired to compete in triathlons I have finally decided screw tree planting and its time to train.

Now that I have the HST principles to workout on, there is no reason for someone of my build should not be able to give the other athletes a run for their money.

I am hoping to compile a weights/triathlon hst sort of training plan. Suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

I will stick to the usual HST weight training style to condition the muscle to load and stuff. Training will be attempted to be performed on the same days after the HST workout so that the day after will serve as a recovery day.

The swims bikes and runs will be limited to less than 1 hour per session.

I am thinking of selecting a distance for each exercise and then increasing it every two weeks. At the same time increasing the intensity for that distance each workout.

for example. first 4 weeks of run.

monday run 5k @ easy
wednesday run 5k @ a little harder
friday run 5k @ a little harder
monday run 5k @ hard
wednesday run 5k @ a little harder
friday run 5k @ very hard

monday run 8k @ easy
wednesday run 8k @ a little harder
friday run 8k @ a little harder
monday run 8k @ hard
wednesday run 8k @ a little harder
friday run 8k @ very hard

I am very unsure of whether or not this will work, I need an experts help on this. The swim and bike would be very similar so I wont repeat.

Will this lead to over training?should I skip the SD on the swim bike and run? or make it shorter?(since my goal is to become progressivly faster)

Thats all I got for now,

THanks!

Few suggestions:
Not a triathlete myself, but I do train athletes of various backgrounds. You need to periodize your running, i.e. have an easy day, then hard day, then a medium day. Aerobic conditioning can not be treated the same as weights as far as a linear progression. A quick google search for a triathlon program will support this idea. Most endurance athletes alternate an easy day (slow pace or short distance), with a hard day (fast pace or long distance), and will also throw in some sprint training for finishing power.
As for weights, a sport specific routine may suit you better. HST is meant to make you grow or at best maintain under extreme conditions. It is not meant to develop explosiveness (you need) or speed/strength endurance (you also need). Training compounds and power exercises in the rep range of 3-5 reps for 3-8 sets with ~%70 of your 1RM is where you are going to want to spend most of your time (not all). HST is great for size (and absolute strength), but would be very hard to alter for sports specific training.

as biz said...i used to run full and half marathons..you need to run different distances..a couple of speed sessions,some middle distance and once a week long slow work..i think the calculations work out at what distance you run in a week you should be able to cover in a race..dont know about cycling and swimming
biggrin.gif

Back