Type of cardio on caloric restriction...???

builtolast

I've heard two camps to this topic. One group says that high intensity cardio is better suited for a CKD diet, and the other says using slow/longer distance cardio is better at retaining muscle on CKD diets? Which is true? Are there any articles explaining the answer to this?

Thanks!

So the claims are true! I found it a bit brutal...maybe I'm just too old! (I was doing it on street skates)

Steve Jones has another thread on this. Research is clear on HIIT burning more fat over time, but there isn't much to go on in terms of muscle preservation. There is a study showing fat loss and muscle gain on HIIT protocol, but it was done on obese women so...

I still prefer high intensity/HIIT. Weight lifting is a high intensity interval protocol, really.

The synergystic effect (EPOC) of HIIT means you burn calories more throughout the day, so assuming you are relatively well fed throughout the day, I wouldn't understand how muscle catabolism would be an issue.

I like the idea of lifting, going to an immediate HIIT workout, then doing low intesity the next morning, rinse, repeat. Eat good pre and post workout nutrition, etc.

Who am I to suggest all this? A newbie schmuck who reads a lot, so certainly don't take my word for it!!!

i have been doing a variety of HIIT on the treadmill, and following that with jumping rope afterwards on days between HST workouts. I am sold on the two of them. They time frame is at this point about the same as when i was doing a 30 minute average on the elyptical machine, but it seems to go by so much faster. Being on the eliptical or treadmill for a solid 30 minutes sometimes got to be like torture for me.

Well, thanks, fellers! haha...roller skates....Actually, if I had the knack, I'd go for it, really. ;>)

I think I'm gonna finish up my cut with a mix: 30 min. low intensity on leg days - 20 min. of HIIT on off days.

about 5 cardio sessions a week? Too much? Too little?

I'm a dance skater as a hobby (not so much now I'm married) so speed skating was a natural choice for cardio. Had to hit the street tho, because blasting past kiddies at 30mph got me chewed out at the rinks.
etothepii...I remember reading about HIIT when it came out and the big comparison was between marathon runners (skeletons) and sprinters. The sprinters look almost like bodybuilders, so I'd guess that it's definitely muscle sparing.

One of the diet gurus someone posted a link to here had a cardio program where it was claimed that if you'd do about five minutes of super intense all-out cardio, you would mobilise the fat into the blood, rest 5 minutes, then do 30-40 minutes of low intensity cardio, the body would burn it as fuel.
I can't remember who's program that was, (might have been the Anabolic Diet), but that just sounds so right to me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One of the diet gurus someone posted a link to here had a cardio program where it was claimed that if you'd do about five minutes of super intense all-out cardio, you would mobilise the fat into the blood, rest 5 minutes, then do 30-40 minutes of low intensity cardio, the body would burn it as fuel.</div>
That is really interesting - it would be great if you could find the link.  I have been doing the reverse of this: 10 minutes constant rate followed by 10 minutes of 1:1 intervals (in between some warm-up and cool-down) simply because the intervals take so much out of me that it would be torture to then spend 10 more minutes running.  If I need to reverse for more effectiveness I could try it, but 30-40 minutes of lower intensity seems like an awfully long time.  However, my &quot;lower intensity&quot; work is alot faster than anybody else I see on the treadmills.

Regardless, I second the advise to do both types, as I think it is good for general cardiovascular fitness.  Some brisk walking thrown in periodically doesn't hurt, either.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 10 2007,09:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm a dance skater as a hobby (not so much now I'm married) so speed skating was a natural choice for cardio. Had to hit the street tho, because blasting past kiddies at 30mph got me chewed out at the rinks.
etothepii...I remember reading about HIIT when it came out and the big comparison was between marathon runners (skeletons) and sprinters. The sprinters look almost like bodybuilders, so I'd guess that it's definitely muscle sparing.

One of the diet gurus someone posted a link to here had a cardio program where it was claimed that if you'd do about five minutes of super intense all-out cardio, you would mobilise the fat into the blood, rest 5 minutes, then do 30-40 minutes of low intensity cardio, the body would burn it as fuel.
I can't remember who's program that was, (might have been the Anabolic Diet), but that just sounds so right to me.</div>
That sounds great, but the only problem here is that without a heart rate objective I just get totally lost. I've done alot of HIIT, and it is literally impossible for anyone to go &quot;all out for 5 minutes.&quot; Keeping heart rate above x bpm for 5minutes and then moderate intensity for 30 minutes...now that I can handle.

Going all out for 30 seconds and then keeping heart rate above x bpm for 2 minutes is how I've always done it

yeah, all-out for me is gonna be droolin' on the floor and trying not to puke.

I never did get to where I could do all 15 minutes of the HIIT in 15 minutes. And the tendency for me was to just quit after I started needing 4 minutes rest between the blasts. I should have stuck with it.

<div>
(etothepii @ Mar. 09 2007,09:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Weight lifting is a high intensity interval protocol, really.</div>
This an understatement if you do a 10 x 3 program.
10 x 3 Squats, Deads, and Bent Rows will have you gasping for mercy towards heavier weights.

I have gotten away from it a bit over the winter but I really like a moderate Tabata. 14-15 minutes of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off intervals. I say moderate because I don't go all out. I ramp up over the course of a cycle and I really like it. Wish I could find more time to do it though. I have a crappy treadmill at home that is not much fun doing it on. I prefer the gym but have to split days with the wife. Anyway, going to get back to it soon.
smile.gif

Keystone

Here is an old study comparing HIIT vs &quot;normal&quot; Endurance Training.

says nothing about muscle preservation though.

edit: damn, link doesnt work, will try to fix it tomorrow...

ya i have done hiit before and it was the most brutal thing ever, after i stopped my calves would start to burn and cramp up and i was sure i stretched and properly hydrated before.
im going to start cardio again soon and plan on doing a jogging with little spurts of semi sprinting in it. Kinda like a lazy hiit
i hope that works.

I used to do that before I knew much about BB'ing. Actually, I used to run a lot and lift a little, by comparison. I stayed skinny. I think you'll have to limit the time, is all.

Back