UFC 79

Joe.Muscle

Well its finally happening.

The Iceman and the Axe murderer will finally meet tonight. After years of being labeled the match of the century its going to happen. However its going to happen with not as much luster as once thought but its still going to happen.

If this fights makes it out of the first round I will be surprised.

My prediction first round KO at about 3 minutes by Chuck Liddell!

Also going to be a good rubber match with Hughes vs GSP. My prediction GSP by KO in round 2!

The Fight Party is at my house tonight so as Big John would say!

lets get it on!
tounge.gif

I think I'm going to go down to Hooters to watch these fights tonight.  I have been waiting a long time to watch "The Axe Murder" beat the snot out of Chuck.

I'm going with Wandy by KO in round 1.  Then he will kick Rampage's butt for the title.  
wink.gif

I agree on the GSP vs Hughes fight.  GSP by KO in round 2.

Well...I guess I was wrong about the Iceman vs. Axe Murder fight. I really thought that TAM would run over the Iceman.

It was nice to see GSP school Hughes on the ground. Hughes thought he would win if he could get the fight to the ground and GSP just pounded the crap out of him.

GSP is phenonmenal.

TAM was just too small for chuck. You can tell the pride guys are off the "juice".

Yeah he is quite a bit smaller than Chuck.  But I don't think that was his problem.  I'm not sure exactly who came in to the octagon but it wasn't "The Axe Murderer" that I'm used to seeing fight.  I think if he would have went after Chuck like he usually goes after someone Chuck wouldn't have had a chance and he would have overwhelmed him.  But I think Wandy had too much respect for Chucks knock out power to let it all hang out like he normally does.  It was a great fight none the less.  And if anything Wandy proved that he can take some serious punishment!

I'm always amazed how "cold" the fighters come into fights in MMA.  They never really look warmed up to me.  No sweat....nothing.  And I don't get that.  It basically takes them a half of a round to warm up which just seems odd.  Especially with the great condition most of them are in.  I would think that they would want to at least break a sweat before the fight starts.

could be a couple reasons for the "cold" appearance. im sure they are towelled down and back to normal HR for the actual fight. once warmed up, youd be good to go for a while without needing a good sweat. not to mention these guys are in great shape so recuping from a warm up effort would not take long. look at high level runners, they are running 2-4miles warm up (at a decent pace) and striders or sprints 10-30 min. prior to their race yet when they come to the line they look like they just got off the bus. excellent shape can shrug off the appearance any real work in a few minutes.

personally i have not done much boxing, mma training etc but anyone who has hit a bag or shadow boxed knows it takes seconds to get the HR up, breathing labored and the lactic acid going once you start. i would guess that with 3 rounds at 5min each nobody is in a real hurry to max out any of those 3.

perhaps someone with some exper. has some thoughts.

I think the Liddell -Silva fight started off slow because both men had EVERYTHING to lose so both were extremely cautious. For chuck who had been the dominant LHW fighter for a few years, this would have been his third loss in a row and a LOT of people would have written him off, including possibly his boss. I think Chuck was afraid to rush in and wail on him like the old chuck would have, knowing his career was just one lucky silva KO away from being down the tubes.
Silva was certainly less aggressive, even when he knocked chuck down he inexplicablyjust stood there and let him back up. Being off the juice probably played some role in that lack of aggression. But also the fact that he couldn't do his leaping stomps to the head he was allowed to kill people with in pride. When I first started watching MMA Wanderlei could afford to be recklessly aggressive because he was in the midst of a 5 year undefeated streak, but here he really had something to prove and didnt want to get knocked out early and become another Mirko CroCop.
I still think by the end of the fight Silva proved he is one bad ass motherfucker. How many human beings do you know that could get punched hard in the face by chuck liddell over and over again and remain conscious and capable of coherently answering questions about it afterward?

Your probably right about them being towelled off. It is probably a requirement for them to be towelled off right before entering the ring because of the impact it has on grappling.

It's Wandy's recklessness that makes him such a tough opponent for for most people. Which is why I don't understand him being over cautious. Well, I do understand it because Chuck could knock anyone out at any time if they aren't careful. But I think it would have been a much different fight if Wandy would have stalked him down like "The Axe Murder" is supposed to.
wink.gif

Now I'm really looking forward to the Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson fight in March. Mostly because I'm still surprised that Quinton Jackson beat Henderson in their fight. I really thought Henderson was going to win that one. So now I'm rooting for him to take the belt from Silva.

Back