UFC 81

Joe.Muscle

Brock Lesnar will beat Frank Mir!

On paper he shouldn't ever win this match...however if Brock can make it past 3 minutes then he will win b/c Frank Mir will GAS like he always does after about 3 mins and then Brock will pound his way into a win!

Also I am going with Noguiera by submission over Tim Sylvia!

taking Mir by 2nd round sub

agree w/ you on Big Nog subbing Sylvia

i think lesnar v mir is one of the more interesting match-ups in a while. more b/c of what is unknown then what is known.

mir obviously has some game being the former hvwy champ but an accident and some upsets leaves a lot of ??

lesnar is/was a great wrestler (pro-wrestling doesnt count) and one huge awesome looking dude but what does that mean? he could be the next big thing......huge enough to not be pushed around by the likes of silvia etc. and athletic enough to handle guys like mir and orlofsky etc. or he could be just another big guy who got a shot before he was ready for this level of MMA comp.

either way i do not think it will go long. he will either destroy mir half way thru the 1st round or mir will avoid the getting hurt early and KO (kick) or submit him in 2.
ill pick (guess) mir early in the 2nd.

noguiera by desc. (most likely) or submiss. late over sylvia. sometimes sylvia looks awesome but many times when he cant bully his opp. he just goes thru the motions and makes no real effort to pull out the win. nog. never seems to give up. how many times was that guy getting his ass whupped only to come back and win? not a good long term strategy for success but it keeps working.

should be fun

it'll be great fun! here's where I made my bets:
Big Nog
Mir
Horn
Belcher
Griffin
Eastman
Nakamura
Lytle
Heath

my biggest hope for the night is that the Eastman fight gets shown after the main event. and that has nothing to do w/ the weigh-in's shoving match.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Feb. 02 2008,07:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it'll be great fun!  here's where I made my bets:
Big Nog
Mir
Horn
Belcher
Griffin
Eastman
Nakamura
Lytle
Heath

my biggest hope for the night is that the Eastman fight gets shown after the main event.  and that has nothing to do w/ the weigh-in's shoving match.</div>
Great Picks!

Here is mine!

Robert Emerson

Marvin Eastman

David Heath

Chris Lytle

Tyson Griffin

Ricardo Almeida

Jeremy Horn

Brock Lesnar

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

I'll take the Pats over the Giants...
smile.gif

well, i only made 2 picks and got them right...........mostly.
nog. got kicked around as usual and then came back to win. not exactly nostradomus picking that to happen but how he can keep that stategy up for much longer is a mystery to me.

mir won and it was quick.......... which i had,....but he certainly didnt avoid getting hurt and lesnar looks to be the real deal. credit to mir for keeping his head about him while some huge dude was trying to take it off. that guy is powerful with some skills as well..........i think maybe mir was just little too skilled in JJ for only his (lesnar) 2nd mma fight. hes got the size and the wrestling, perhaps another yr to sharpen up the striking and work on ground (bjj) defense and he could be the man.

good picks on the other fights joe. i dont know many of them as much as id like.

good stuff as always

I agree with you Bluejacket.

Give Lesnar another year or so and he should be able to not make the rookie mistakes.

He was dominating the entire fight with sheer strength and then Mir did what he does best with his JJ and locked that keebar in!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Feb. 04 2008,11:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">TR, the Giants won... we were all wrong (including Tiki)</div>
Not me, colby - I called the outcome after the NFC championship game. Everybody wrote off the Giants, and I couldn't understand why - they downed the Cowboys in Texas Stadium, the Packers in Lambeau. To say that they weren't capable of hanging with the Patriots seemed like an insane argument to me. I knew going in that the defense had learned from the regular season game - and watching them throughout the playoffs made it something of an easy call to say that the Giants would give the Pats the hardest game they had all year defensively. Throw in baby Manning having a great game, and there you go.

Down go the Patriots!

CONGRATULATIONS, GIANTS! WORLD CHAMPS!

Sorry for the hack, UFC guys....

no offense to anyone who takes the game or the outcome seriously.........

so much of what happens in a game and a season is luck and fortune that its always funny to me when folks &quot;know&quot; who is going to win a game.

pats are probably the best team in football....over the season....... but the super bowl is 1 game and the giants were better. going 18-0 was impressive but they had some serious lucky breaks and calls etc so as not to lose at least one game.

even in the super bowl the pats did what they had to in order to win.......score late for the lead with little time left. if you recall there were at least 2-3 diff. passes which should have been intercepted on the giants final drive which would of-course sewn it up for the pats. luck? destiny? right place right time? wanting it more?

who knows, who cares........it was fun to watch b/c it was close and had some exciting plays at the end.

as far as the patriots being a team of destiny or just knowing the giant were a better team and were going to win........?

Yup, it was a great game. The Pats are probably the best team in football... and the Giants played well and beat them. I'm a Browns fan, so I had no dog in that fight; I just enjoy watching good football.

It would have been nice to see history in the making with a 19-0 season, but it was a terrific Superbowl anyhow.

Here's my take, bluejacket (and I echo your sentiment - no offense intended to anyone)...

There are so many factors in competitive sports that affect the outcome of a particular contest. No question - luck is part of it; it's that right time, right place thing. From my perspective and my pre-game call for the Giants to win, it came down to matchups - and watching both teams as they made their way to the super bowl. Did I KNOW conclusively that the Giants would win - no. Did I have a very strong hunch that they could? Absolutely. From there, it's the intangibles that determine a win or loss. If, like you say, on that last drive any of the almost-picks became interceptions, game over. If Manning takes the sack on 3rd and long instead of completing a very unlikely pass for a first down, their chances would have been slimmer. The Patriots are talented, no question. Best team in football? I dunno. I don't know that you could measure that. The Eagles almost beat 'em - so did the Ravens. Did either one go to the playoffs? So - how would that factor in in determining the &quot;best in football&quot; tag?

In the end, yup - the Super Bowl is one game. It definitely does not make the Giants the best team in football automatically, but it gives them the best title, given the importance of the Super Bowl.

Regardless of anything else, like you said - it was fun to watch.

The best team in football is the team that played the best over the last three weeks of the entire season. That team was the New York football Giants. How you finish is what counts, no matter if it is the NFL, a UFC fight, or weight training.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 03 2008,13:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well I went 7 for 9 on my picks</div>
nice pickin' Joe    

I hadn't realized until Saturday night that Belcher was off the card.  but I think I managed to get 6 picks!

it was a great night.

so far as the Superbowl goes, I think the Giants D must've discovered HST!  j/k

edit: I only got 5 picks right

Back