Using Prilepin's table for clustering

spillaert

If you use some form of clustering for HST/SST or have overtrained in the past and don't want to repeat the experience this may be of interest to you.

During 1970s a Soviet sports scientist called A. S. Prilepin collected data from the training logs of more than 1000 World, Olympic, National and European weightlifting champions and synthesised his research in a table named after himself. Here is the original table:

Intensity %1RM**Rep Range**Reps Total**Optimal Reps
<70%**********3-6*******18-30******24
70-79%*********3-6*******12-24******18
80-89%*********2-4*******10-20******15
>89%**********1-2********4-10*******7

The first thing you may notice are the sudden transitions between the ranges. Going from 79% to 80% RM results in an entirely different rep/set scheme being applied, but there is not any really noticeable difference between lifting at 79% and 80% RM. Also above 89% RM the table seems to break down. Ten 100% RM deadlifts or squats would be impossible for any weightlifter. The problem with the table is it's organised into ranges so to remove this I applied interpolation functions to the data to create an extended version of the original table. This version can be found here:

http://www.pro-technix.com/information/downloads/pages/Prilepin.htm

Is a table created from data harvested from elite level weightlifters who lift by percentages of any relevance to beginner level trainees looking to improve muscular hypertrophy who are basing their training by reps? One of the functions of the table was to ensure weightlifting athletes didn't overtrain, so if it can do that it can help anyone engaged in weight training to find optimal rep and set ranges to prevent overtraining also.

When using the table it is unnecessary to base your reps/sets on the percentage rep max intensities. If you do this your total reps will alter between almost every training session. Instead use the reps total upper and lower bounds figures to find how to cluster the reps. Suppose you are starting the 10x2 mesocycle and so are doing 20 reps total for an exercise per session. In the 'Reps total - lower bound' column 20 corresponds to Rep range lower bound figure of 4 and Rep range upper bound figure of 8. For a 'Reps total - upper bound' of 20 these values are 2 and 4. So within the 20 total reps range you can split each exercise up into sets of anywhere between 8 and 2. You could do the entire 10x2 cycle using 6,5,5,4 or use sets of 8,7,5 on the first two sessions 7,6,4,3 on the end of the first week and start of the second and 6,5,4,3,2 on the last two sessions to account for the increasing weight. Using this method you don't need to determine clusters based on approaching fatigue.

Last edited:
Very nice post mate.I've built an entire routine based on your info.I like that you passion.I also have your excel tables with training routines.Inspiring work.

I've been trying Prelipin's chart. So far so good for squats. But it could just be re-gains/newb gains since I never squatted much in the past.

I tried to work with the chart some months ago, but it left be understimulated and I got weaker. doin 70%@3x6 is in my case working with my 16-20RPM for 3 sets and 6 reps. Thats too low to stimulate anything.

Sb. should remember,that the table was for lifters who trained out multiple times per week and day. Not the average trainee who might train 3x the week and need to tweak things.

Your application sounds better though.

Update: I've abondoned Prelipin's chart for now. Let it be known I was using the original version for a beginning powerlifting routine. There are several adaptations of the chart that may work for their intended applications. The original chart was for the Olympic lifts which have very specific demands that maormross over to bodybuilding. If anyone has success with the chart or a version of it, I'd like.to hear.the details.

-Q

Back