Valerian

EctoSquat

First off has anybody here used it? What were your experiences? I have trouble getting to sleep, and heard that valerian could help solve my problem. So I picked up a bottle of it before reading about it a lot. I came across this at a website:

"Long term use can cause:

Headaches
Restlessness
Excitability
Sleeplessness
Difficulty waking up in the morning (grogginess)
Mydriasis
Disorders of cardiac functions"

I don't know what they mean by long term use, and I don't want to get any of those things on the list. Is any of that even true?

Thanks.

I tried it and it seemed to work OK but it left a godawful aftertaste that I kept burping up at night and discontinued its use. Have you tried Melatonin? It works great for me. However, I wonder why at 16 you would have trouble sleeping? If memory serves me correctly, I could sleep 10 or 11 hours straight when I was 16. Maybe your problem is allergy related?? :confused:

When I get to sleep I'm totally fine, I can sleep 10 hours if I'm tired. The problem is just getting to sleep, I think about things way too much and can't stop thinking, so it keeps me up. If this doesn't work, I've heard really good things about ALCAR.

I used to do the same thing Ecto. I had to train myself to think only pleasant, relaxing thoughts when I went to bed. If I started thinking about work, I might be awake for hours. Stress does no one any good in the bedroom.

BTW, what is ALCAR? I have never heard of it either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Sep. 04 2004,9:06)]I used to do the same thing Ecto. I had to train myself to think only pleasant, relaxing thoughts when I went to bed. If I started thinking about work, I might be awake for hours. Stress does no one any good in the bedroom.
I guess I'll have to train myself then.

Well I tried valerian last night about 1 hr. before I went to bed. Well just swallowing the pill left a horrible aftertaste which with tons of milk went away. Went to bed about 11:30, then got a stomach ache and tasted something acidic in the back of my throat. So showers always make me feel better, so I though I'd take one. Went back to bed at 12:15, and it took me another 30 minutes to get to sleep. I don't know if it was 1 bad night, but if this happens again tonight, I'll switch back to calcium magnesium citrate 30 minutes before bed. Or I'd like to get my hands on some ALCAR...speaking of that....

Sorry about the abbv., the first time I read somebody using it, it was referred to as ALCAR (Acetyl L-Carnitine). It's main purpose is to help improve brain functions, slow the aging process, and slow possible Alzheimer's. Well, I guess it's a great sleep aid also. I talk to a person from another journal who started using it about a week ago. He said he gets to sleep almost immediately, and wakes up feeling energized and all that. I've also read that it decreases your sleep time, but improves sleep quality, so you sleep less, but are more energized.

I could always try melatonin like you said, I'll probably do that if the valerian fails me.

Back